follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
ESBjiujitsu
MUST HAVE MORE 86 ! ! !

Drives: Mazdaspeed 6 2.3 AWD Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
HKS SEQUENTIAL TRANSMISSION for the 86

I know this has been touched on in the HKS posts but i figured if should have its own thread. Many of us are interested in upgraded auto trans in the stock and aftermarket form and im sure if anyone has seen the HKS videos they know that the setup they are running is amazing! If anyone has any additional information about this setup for the 86 please post. thanks!

Generic info here: http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/produc...ion/index.html

Video on the system its self: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCLCR93RXvs"]HKS SEQUENTIAL TRANSMISSION - YouTube[/ame]

Sights and sounds on the 86 performer : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g83C15ZkHpY"]€HKS 86€‘Supercharger spec test run/‚ƒƒ‘ƒƒƒƒ‚ƒƒ•˜‹‹• - YouTube[/ame]

Through our many years of motor sport activities, have felt the need for the development of a transmission that can be used to accurately transfer engine torque at even the highest levels such as drag racing. Development from years of experience in the drag, drift, time attack and circuit racing, helped us design and develop fine transmission. We have done enormous testing and the production now take place "in house" to ensure the feedback from racing to directly into the production team.

Dog Engagement System For Strength And Reliability
A dog engagement system offers more power transfer capacity compared to synchronic systems giving added strength and reliability and with correct driver operation, fast shifting is possible.

Helical Gears Used To Reduce Gear Noise While Maintaining Strength.
High strength materials are used for the gears combine with a helical gear design which slants the teeth at an angle. This allows more gear area to mesh which improves strength and also significantly reduces noise that is associated with spur gear type transmissions.

High Strength And Durability from a Specially Designed Case.
High Strength/Durability
High strength and durability can be achieved over kits which include specially designed case. This case was redesigned to give maximum strength and efficiency as for each part is well-managed.
Efficient & Easy Installation
Efficient and easy installation is possible as the whole unit is assembled designed with minimal modification to the body or chassis necessary for installation.

Original Design Sequential Transmission
Using a barrel cam which converts the vertical shift pattern to that of an H pattern has allowed HKS to create a sequential transmission based on a reliable manual transmission base. Quick and accurate gear changes are now possible with particular attention paid to the weight and stroke of each gear change to give a racing feel to your car.
6th gear of H pattern transmission has sequential system which creates the 5-speed sequential transmission with direct gear ratio of 5th gear. This type of transmission is very practical for drag races and drift driving; however, shifting to a final gear is usually a problem to achieve the maximum speed. Low gear ratio type HKS Sequential Transmission is available to solve this problem.

Overhaul Service is Available
For the optimal performance of HKS Transmission series, regular maintenance is required. HKS provides professional maintenances using in-house transmission bench and other necessary overhaul equipment. Maintenances and overhauls are implemented after detailed examination of a transmission's condition.
* It is recommended to maintain (or overhaul) HKS Transmission every 1,000 to 3,000km. If neglected, gears and/or dog parts may be damaged.
* HKS GEAR OIL G-1200 must be used.

92 carmy -> 86 corolla-> Honda S2000 -> Audi TT -> Mazdaspeed6 -> NEXT UP TOYOTA FT-86!!!!

Last edited by ESBjiujitsu; 05-23-2012 at 12:05 PM.
ESBjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
ttknf

Drives: 350z Nismo, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Looks like either a Hollinger produced box or an OS Giken box. HKS likes OS Giken and they've used them for their transmission offerings in the past (and with good reason - OS boxes are fantastic).
ttknf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ttknf For This Useful Post:
ESBjiujitsu (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
2fast4you

Drives: 2006 Scion tC RS 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESBjiujitsu View Post
Many of us are interested in upgraded auto trans in the stock and aftermarket form...
Honestly, unless you plan on building a full race car, the HKS sequential transmission is not you're looking for. It's definitely not an "upgrade" for the auto as they are two different types of transmissions; in order install a sequential in an auto it would require a manual conversion (race sequential transmission still require a clutch), and the ECU would need to be reprogrammed to allow the proper unshift throttle cut and downshift blip. And then there is the fact that even with helical gears, it will still have a noticeable whine... not a big deal with a helmet on, but not cool when tooling around town.
ESBjiujitsu (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
ESBjiujitsu
MUST HAVE MORE 86 ! ! !

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4you View Post
Honestly, unless you plan on building a full race car, the HKS sequential transmission is not you're looking for. It's definitely not an "upgrade" for the auto as they are two different types of transmissions; in order install a sequential in an auto it would require a manual conversion (race sequential transmission still require a clutch), and the ECU would need to be reprogrammed to allow the proper unshift throttle cut and downshift blip. And then there is the fact that even with helical gears, it will still have a noticeable whine... not a big deal with a helmet on, but not cool when tooling around town.
I myself will be getting a manual but im obsessed with after market sequential transmissions. I understand this is not an upgrade but merely a replacement transmission for a race car type circumstance but that still does not prevent me from being fascinated by the setup in this car Im also curious if there will be hardcore AT upgrades for those wanting more sport but less on the whine from a aftermarket sequential. But to be honest i wouldnt mind the whine one bit i have DD driven a few "race cars" lol. I like the punishment!

92 carmy -> 86 corolla-> Honda S2000 -> Audi TT -> Mazdaspeed6 -> NEXT UP TOYOTA FT-86!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ESBjiujitsu For This Useful Post:
2fast4you (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
ESBjiujitsu
MUST HAVE MORE 86 ! ! !

Garage
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmDmEDgwUzk"]HKS Sequential Transmission in FD RX7 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQjt-Z3e0SM"]go4it skyrocker shifting OS Giken Sequential Gearbox - YouTube[/ame]

BADASS MUCH!!!!!!

Old 05-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
wcbjr

Drives: 2006 Subaru LGT
Quote:
* It is recommended to maintain (or overhaul) HKS Transmission every 1,000 to 3,000km. If neglected, gears and/or dog parts may be damaged.
Yeah, not gonna happen on any street car.
wcbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
ESBjiujitsu
MUST HAVE MORE 86 ! ! !

Garage
pair it up with your oil changes LOL!!!

Last edited by ESBjiujitsu; 05-24-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
arghx7

Drives: car
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
this is a dogbox. It has no relation to an automatic transmission in any way. Oversimplifying it a bit: it's for people who have a manual transmission and want skip pushing the clutch pedal in when they shift.

It's not a planetary gearset based transmission. It's not a single-clutch automated manual transmission (like the old BMW SMG). It's not a wet or dry dual clutch transmission either. Even though they can be driven on the street, it doesn't make financial sense for anything but a race car.
arghx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
That is a MONUMENTAL waste of money unless you're competing in W2W racing with purses large enough to justify said cost.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This might have been stated already, but I thought with sequential gearboxes, you only use the clutch to get the car going, like a normal manual, but after that you don't need it.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
catharsis

Drives: honda civic si 08
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde View Post
This might have been stated already, but I thought with sequential gearboxes, you only use the clutch to get the car going, like a normal manual, but after that you don't need it.
That's true, but you still have to manual shift all the gears with a sequential. It's more like an manual than anything, just don't have to use the clutch.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Do you have $10-15,000 to buy the gearbox alone? If not, /thread.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESBjiujitsu View Post
I myself will be getting a manual but im obsessed with after market sequential transmissions. I understand this is not an upgrade but merely a replacement transmission for a race car type circumstance but that still does not prevent me from being fascinated by the setup in this car Im also curious if there will be hardcore AT upgrades for those wanting more sport but less on the whine from a aftermarket sequential. But to be honest i wouldnt mind the whine one bit i have DD driven a few "race cars" lol. I like the punishment!
Talk to these guys. http://www.xtrac.com/

And bring cash.

Lots of it.

Because racecar.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
ESBjiujitsu (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #14
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Might as well go all out and use straight-cut gears...

Then again I doubt these cars will ever be pushing the type of figures that would warrant straight cut gears. BUT IF THEY DID! I'm sure you would want to cut some of the weight you'd incur from having a fat T-case due to Helical cut gears.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote