follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southeast

Southeast AR, AL, GA, FL, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #43
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
You when you implied you can't make it because you are in FL for school.
It is all related to school though. Now check this is out.

I really just need to stay focused. I'm not doing that well. A trip for a day is alright, but an entire weekend consisting of two 600+mi drives, plus I would need a place to stay since I wouldn't want my parents knowing I'm there. (That would be an instant military for me.)
Old 08-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #44
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
It is all related to school though. Now check this is out.

I really just need to stay focused. I'm not doing that well. A trip for a day is alright, but an entire weekend consisting of two 600+mi drives, plus I would need a place to stay since I wouldn't want my parents knowing I'm there. (That would be an instant military for me.)
Don't worry man, no need to explain yourself, you do what you gotta do. My advise to you is to stay in school. Its way more important than a car or a weekend.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #45
theseloaded86hips

Drives: Firestorm FR-S MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Can I just go watch? I like to watch.
theseloaded86hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #46
airmanmurphy02
Petrol head

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theseloaded86hips View Post
Can I just go watch? I like to watch.
It would be way more fun to drive!!
Ought to be a good time if we get enough people on board to make it happen!
Old 08-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #47
theseloaded86hips

Drives: Firestorm FR-S MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmanmurphy02 View Post
It would be way more fun to drive!!
Ought to be a good time if we get enough people on board to make it happen!

I can't get my car ready to drive on a track by then. He's still stock! And my daily driver...I need him in 1 piece.
theseloaded86hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #48
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theseloaded86hips View Post
I can't get my car ready to drive on a track by then. He's still stock! And my daily driver...I need him in 1 piece.
You can track your car stock you just need to take it easy on your brakes. Swapping brake pads is a 30 minute job tops. If you can pull your wheels off yourself, you can swap pads.
Here is a DIY for changing pads: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24614

You can also get HPDE insurance to cover your car on track and in the paddock assuming @firl21 will consult with Lockton Motorsports to cover it.

My BRZ is also my daily driver and I track the shit out of it; fully insured.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
airmanmurphy02 (08-27-2013), buddy32 (08-27-2013), Stevo22 (08-27-2013), theseloaded86hips (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #49
aCab

Drives: FR-S & S2k
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Looking forward to this!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #50
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
What are the rules on racing/drifting? I don't want to go if we're just going to be casually driving our cars in circles and taking photos of engine bays. I'm trying to roast some tires here
Old 08-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #51
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
What are the rules on racing/drifting? I don't want to go if we're just going to be casually driving our cars in circles and taking photos of engine bays. I'm trying to roast some tires here

Everyone knows that drifting is one of the slowest ways around a track, and I don't think it would be very courteous to the other drivers on track to blind them in a cloud of tire smoke, so drifting is not allowed. There are drift days specifically for drifting and the cars are released one at a time in a controlled manner at a facility with a shorter closed course to allow consistent drifting without risking anyone's safety. Drifting around the carousel at AMP is not only stupid it's dangerous since it's up hill, blind, and there is a wall right where your snap oversteer transition would take place heading to the front straight.

No racing/drifting allowed. FAST, SAFE driving is allowed and encouraged. There is no speed limit and the driving will be by no means casual and will utilize the full ROAD COURSE that features both left and right turns which are all unique and feature lots of elevation change. Pretty far from "driving in circles". Just obey the flags from the corner workers and the light system and everyone has a fun, safe track day.

From [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Performance_Drivers_Education"]High Performance Drivers Education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] :

Quote:
High Performance Drivers Education (HPDE) refers to driving schools held on dedicated race tracks designed to teach drivers proper high speed driving techniques. HPDE events are held by various automobile enthusiasts' clubs at some of the most renowned road-course tracks around the world. Participants include both students and instructors. Students are grouped according to their ability and experience, with "Novice Group" students being the least experienced,"Intermediate Group" being more experienced and "Advanced Group" drivers being the most experienced and capable of driving the racetrack without a ride-along instructor. Mandatory classroom instruction contributes to the overall learning experience and allows peer-group discussions of on-track performance and analysis of track characteristics.

HPDE events are not racing. Cars on-track operate under strict "rules of engagement" which minimize the likelihood of dangerous encounters with other cars. Occasional off-track excursions into the grass are normally controlled stops, with track personnel and on-board instructors supervising a safe re-entry onto the track. Passing[1] among participants is facilitated only within defined "passing zones", and then only with clear hand signals and instructor confirmation.

HPDEs encourage participants to drive within their ability[2] and improve their car-control skills with each event. Instructors and staff evaluate each student's progress throughout the weekend, and make recommendations on the student's advancement through successively higher skilled driver groups. It is extremely important for Novice drivers to learn the basic safety measures of the sport first such as the blend line, flags, corner worker functions etc. It is also important to start by mastering basic car control skills and the basic racing line first and not worrying about how fast you are going. Speed, "safe speed" is developed by "learning" how to drive and understanding the proper racing line first. The truly fast driver is safe and competent. High Horsepower does NOT make you a fast driver. It only makes you a driver with a fast car.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 08-29-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #52
Synack
Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Everyone knows that drifting is one of the most fun ways around a track, and I don't think it would be very courteous to the other drivers on track to blind them in a cloud of tire smoke, so drifting is not allowed. There are drift days specifically for drifting and the cars are controlled in a manner and at a facility with a shorter closed course to allow consistent drifting without risking anyone's safety. Drifting around the carousel at AMP is not only stupid it's dangerous since it's up hill, blind, and there is a wall right where your snap oversteer transition would take place heading to the front straight.
Fixed your first sentence

While I agree that it wouldn't be courteous to leave others in a cloud of smoke, I completely disagree with your description of drifting at that track. The first several turns look excellent for drifting, not to mention many other turns on the track.

Oh and please don't call what myself and many others enjoy stupid. That track is by no means a drifting death trap, and I don't know why you would call it one. I know we're way off topic here but I certainly didn't appreciate your comments on that matter.

I respect that nobody wants tire smoke in their face and now realize this is nothing more than a spirited drive around a track; and will not be attending this event.

Everyone else going, have fun!
Old 08-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #53
GTHachiRoku
Big in Japan

Drives: turBRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
From what spirited driving I do on back roads, I'm not entirely sure it's even possible to NOT drift this car in its stock form.
GTHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #54
Synack
Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHachiRoku View Post
From what spirited driving I do on back roads, I'm not entirely sure it's even possible to NOT drift this car in its stock form.
It's definitely possible with stock tires lol, and it just makes it easier that my engine and tires are far from stock.

I've been sliding around for about 4 years now, I buy tires twice as often as I get oil changes.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #55
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
Oh and please don't call what myself and many others enjoy stupid. That track is by no means a drifting death trap, and I don't know why you would call it one. I know we're way off topic here but I certainly didn't appreciate your comments on that matter.
Sorry, it wasn't my intention to offend you or anyone else. I agree that drifting is a lot of fun when it's done in the right place in the right circumstances. I just think that intentionally consistent, repeated drifting needs to have it's own time and place. I hope to attend a drift day sometime soon to have some fun getting sideways, but my intentions going into said drift day will be much different than my (and everyone else's) intentions while participating in a HPDE at a road course: safely driving as fast as possible with as much grip as possible.

My "stupid" comment was location-specific and didn't apply to drifting in general. That area on track goes from having compressed suspension to a quick change in direction and the cars get light going over a hill. It's not smart to drift through there since you can easily hit the wall on your right or fly off track to your left where there's another wall farther off the track should you continue drifting through there. I agree there are a couple other locations at AMP that you can easily oversteer, and I do frequently. Do I flick the wheel or jam the ebrake to get more sideways? No. That would just slow me down. I countersteer only until the oversteer stops and then I proceed on to the next corner.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 08-28-2013 at 04:18 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
aCab (08-28-2013), Synack (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #56
firl21
Banned

Drives: Scion FRS in hot lava
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If there is enough demand for drifting, The track could be split up so we would have a drift section and a Spirited driving section. But we would need a serious cry out for it. If we get a full rungroups worth mabey.
firl21 is offline   Reply With Quote