follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 10:18 PM   #57695
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
gas, forced air. i believe it's the most common setup in any metropolitan area.
Maybe we don't see much DIY information, is because of the "gas" part of the system. In many areas when one changes out a gas system, it requires a permit, taken out by a qualified person. - fer sure??

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Spuds (06-30-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 11:22 PM   #57696
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Maybe we don't see much DIY information, is because of the "gas" part of the system. In many areas when one changes out a gas system, it requires a permit, taken out by a qualified person. - fer sure??

humfrz
if natural gas is so scary, why is it that i can run down to any local home improvement store and they stock a variety of stoves, garage/basement heaters, or water heaters?

take this example:
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Pick-Up-...1909,2001,1936

there's more to this than just natural gas that no one seems to be talking about-- if it were only that, the other gas appliances would have similar purchasing restrictions on them. you can't tell me that a water heater has a much different natural gas requirement than a furnace.

it's one of those things that i'm not entirely opposed to paying someone to do, but i expect to know what i'm paying for, and the lack of information and the forced redirects is starting to remind me of older guy's that i've met that feel the need to make their jobs sound incredibly difficult so the newer crews coming on don't bump them off when they figure out that they only ever pressed one button every 4 hours.
humfrz (06-30-2019), Spuds (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 01:03 AM   #57697
humfrz

Quote:
if natural gas is so scary, why is it that i can run down to any local home improvement store and they stock a variety of stoves, garage/basement heaters, or water heaters?

take this example:
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Pick-Up-...1909,2001,1936

there's more to this than just natural gas that no one seems to be talking about-- if it were only that, the other gas appliances would have similar purchasing restrictions on them. you can't tell me that a water heater has a much different natural gas requirement than a furnace.

it's one of those things that i'm not entirely opposed to paying someone to do, but i expect to know what i'm paying for, and the lack of information and the forced redirects is starting to remind me of older guy's that i've met that feel the need to make their jobs sound incredibly difficult so the newer crews coming on don't bump them off when they figure out that they only ever pressed one button every 4 hours.
Oh, working with natural gas doesn't have to be scary. But, like I mentioned, in some areas, a permit is required. That can be the scary part, depending on the inspector. Some can be real jerks and can come up with infractions to justify their existence.

Personally, my reservation about doing my own natural gas work is my fear that the insurance wouldn't cover the damage if I blow up my house.

Here is an interesting DIY article:

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015...y-gas-furnace/

Have a great rest of the weekend!

humfrz
Old 06-30-2019, 03:36 AM   #57698
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
Nah, you need a Caterham in your life..
Often thought about. Never bought. Morgan is cooler and slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Hard to find round these parts. Better off building an Exocet. Which I need, but don't have time/money/space for.
Exocet is fugly. Also I want turnkey fun.

Quote:
it's interesting to me, i can find resources everywhere online to understand how to replumb an entire house, or whenever i've got a grey-area electrical question, there's dozens of forums and databases that i can search online to find the answer.

Poor Google fu? Hvac replacement installation are big jobs. I just pay my friends.
but to attempt to replace my own hvac system? absolutely nothing but links for others to do it for me... why is hvac such a voodoo art?
Old 06-30-2019, 05:12 AM   #57699
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
You won't be disappointed. It just feels like "sports" car ie "locked" and "tied down".. without sounding too obvious. I'm shocked at the difference. I suppose controlling all that mass will have an impact on how the car feels.

I remember reading some reviews of the "new" 991 with dynamic mounts, the reviewers were very impressed. Well the difference is "night" and "day" in my BRZeeee!

I want to drive it more!! Sounds like an effing epiphany! I need to switch my tyres next.. as I still have the OEMs...
I ordered them today. So excite.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:57 AM   #57700
Boomerang

Drives: 2015 Toyota GT86 MT UEL E85 RSR CWP
Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,166 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post

The Following User Says Thank You to Boomerang For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 10:13 AM   #57701
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Great! Went shopping with my wife today, she noted that the car was quieter and smoother...
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 10:47 AM   #57702
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

OK.. I wish you guys would't discuss interesting upgrades in here... this was intriguing, and I went backwards a whole bunch of pages, one by one, trying to find out WHAT you were so excite for... but couldn't find it. What are you talking about!?!?
Spuds (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #57703
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
OK.. I wish you guys would't discuss interesting upgrades in here... this was intriguing, and I went backwards a whole bunch of pages, one by one, trying to find out WHAT you were so excite for... but couldn't find it. What are you talking about!?!?
I don't know!! Some people!! We're excited about engine and transmission mounts.. no ordinary engine and transmission mounts... STI Group N engine and transmission mounts... Boy, they are ace!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (06-30-2019), Ultramaroon (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #57704
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Got passed today by one of them weird 3 wheeled car/kart things

the reverse layout, two in the front with a fat back tire. the guy reved at me and i looked over his buddy had a go pro pointed at the car. Felt nice to get some notification. Felt bad for the guy. I was running on empty and was nursing it to an E85 station.... hahaha

oh well. Maybe itll float around the 'gram for a bit. I did give him a headlight flash and a peace sign.

then immediately merged on a highway to se a "86 corolla" I think it was an SR5 with washington plates and a nevercontent.jp frame. I gave him a whats up nod and his buddy was trying to a selfie with the car...

makes a boy feel good his car is getting seen... now can i get a girl with it?
Old 06-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #57705
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post

makes a boy feel good his car is getting seen... now can i get a girl with it?
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 02:52 PM   #57706
soundman98

Quote:
Got passed today by one of them weird 3 wheeled car/kart things

the reverse layout, two in the front with a fat back tire. the guy reved at me and i looked over his buddy had a go pro pointed at the car. Felt nice to get some notification. Felt bad for the guy. I was running on empty and was nursing it to an E85 station.... hahaha
it's for the better. gopro's go to youtube, cops check youtube for street racing. cars they find streetracing get impounded because fear mongering.

Quote:
now can i get a girl with it?
if you have to ask, you're doing it wrong. very few chicks date based on cars, and my experience of the one's that do, they sway to the extreme side on the hot/crazy scale.
Clutch Dog (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 03:09 PM   #57707
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
What if I too am crazy and hot?

It's like 85 now..
Old 06-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #57708
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Here is an interesting DIY article:

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015...y-gas-furnace/

Have a great rest of the weekend!

humfrz
it's interesting because i count 3 violations in the way he installs or recommends everyone install things. no blocks separating metal from concrete(metal will rust!), recommends CSST gas line everywhere, and no dedicated circuit or visible switch disconnect, and over 6' of greenfield used..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Poor Google fu? Hvac replacement installation are big jobs. I just pay my friends. .
i wish. the last family friend that i trusted to do it retired, his kids took over the business, and it's been nothing short of a shlt show ever since. my dad recommended them to everyone for over 25 years, went to school with the guy, carried extra's of his business card. now he doesn't carry any of the cards, the few things he's tried to have them do around his own house have turned out much worse then they ever needed to, when i asked him for recommendations, he told me there's a lot of options, but don't pick them... the business went from helping people and doing good service to being purely about profits.

i've asked a few contractors my company does work for, and they've all got similar impressions. one laughed and said he wanted to ask me for recommendations for an hvac guy because he couldn't stand any of the one's he's used so far. the others have given me a few different hvac business cards, told me to hang them on a wall and grab a dart. whoever i pick might show up, might not, and it might take 2 days or 2 years to get them to finish.

if i'm taking my chances in the first place, i'd prefer to just do it myself then and get it over with. and that's what led me down the path i'm on...

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis