follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #71
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Damn, that rusty pipe really look scary down there.
I'm now even more concerned for many others surprised no-name brands out there. Buy quality well known US brand or keep the stock pipe !
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #72
trish07

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Garage
They started to work on the new exhaust yesterday!!!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #73
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trish07 View Post
They started to work on the new exhaust yesterday!!!
Great to see aFe reaching out to help someone. They moved up in my book.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
trish07 (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #74
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
Great to see aFe reaching out to help someone. They moved up in my book.
Uhh, this hasn't changed anything. Yes the company responded to negative press because it threatens their bottom line.

1) Have they provided material certs or source information to earn our trust or just said the right words to band-aid the situation?

2) Have they offered to replace the units that were sold under the (admittedly) bait-and-switch mentality? I heard no discussion of recalls or replacements.

3) Is there a way to distinguish between the "good aFe" and "bad aFe" exhaust components before you buy (version number or vendor labelling)?

While I appreciate the olive branch and your words ... as potential customers, we're smarter than that. Words != action. Plenty of other vendors already disclose material info, manufacturing locations, details. Plenty of other vendors actively support their products, and they don't have to deal with bad press (since corners are not cut and issues are resolved as they arise... not weeks later only due to a crapstorm).

If you expect a loyal following, you've got to go the extra mile to be more transparent and helpful than any other company. If it's too much effort or cost, then enjoy your diminished market share from the 86 community.

Keep in mind that some of us do actually know what goes into proper QC. I'm a mechanical engineer with a materials background. There was a meeting just yesterday about the process of guaranteeing quality from the outsourced manufacturing operations we have established in Monterrey, Mexico. Machine shop work is 1/2 price, but their setup costs are high (due to new equipment and training). If you're mass producing in that type of environment, you HAVE to develop a rigorous set of criteria to validate EVERY operation. Sensors have to be calibrated frequently, and results should occasionally be verified by a 3rd party. Trust nothing until it's sufficiently proven, then you can confidently back up your products.

Last edited by Shankenstein; 03-08-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shankenstein For This Useful Post:
Dimman (03-08-2013), Mr.Jay (03-08-2013), trish07 (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #75
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankenstein View Post
Uhh, this hasn't changed anything. Yes the company responded to negative press because it threatens their bottom line.

1) Have they provided material certs or source information to earn our trust or just said the right words to band-aid the situation?

2) Have they offered to replace the units that were sold under the (admittedly) bait-and-switch mentality? I heard no discussion of recalls or replacements.

3) Is there a way to distinguish between the "good aFe" and "bad aFe" exhaust components before you buy (version number or vendor labelling)?

While I appreciate the olive branch and your words ... as potential customers, we're smarter than that. Words != action. Plenty of other vendors already disclose material info, manufacturing locations, details. Plenty of other vendors actively support their products, and they don't have to deal with bad press (since corners are not cut and issues are resolved as they arise... not weeks later only due to a crapstorm).

If you expect a loyal following, you've got to go the extra mile to be more transparent and helpful than any other company. If it's too much effort or cost, then enjoy your diminished market share from the 86 community.

Keep in mind that some of us do actually know what goes into proper QC. I'm a mechanical engineer with a materials background. There was a meeting just yesterday about the process of guaranteeing quality from the outsourced manufacturing operations we have established in Monterrey, Mexico. Machine shop work is 1/2 price, but their setup costs are high (due to new equipment and training). If you're mass producing in that type of environment, you HAVE to develop a rigorous set of criteria to validate EVERY operation. Sensors have to be calibrated frequently, and results should occasionally be verified by a 3rd party. Trust nothing until it's sufficiently proven, then you can confidently back up your products.
Agreed. This is why I buy Nameless products and not this, but at least they're attempting to help her out.
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
trish07 (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #76
wu_dot_com

Drives: accord
Remove

Last edited by wu_dot_com; 03-12-2013 at 11:55 PM.
wu_dot_com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wu_dot_com For This Useful Post:
Mr.Jay (03-08-2013), trish07 (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #77
trish07

Garage
aFe is doing something for the moment and I appreciate it. I think that, as customers, we have to complain to the company when we have issues with their products. Some company are nice, but they could also make errors. If nobody complains, nothing will change. Each time I had to complain, I did, and so far, I always got a positive reponse.

My BC coilovers broke TWICE. Not one, TWICE. But each time I've wrote to the BC, the next Monday I was receiving my coilover replacement. They inquired about the issue also.

I sent the pictures of the exhaust to aFe so it may help them to find the problem (hope so).

There are companies that don't give a f*ck about their customers, I think that aFe, so far, showed they wanted to help me.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #78
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I just bought a bunch of torches in bulk too

Hopefully they actually resolve the issue and no just save face
Old 03-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #79
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
DM;BT

doesn't matter; bought torches
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #80
fledonfoot

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aFePower View Post
All, I wanted to just clear a few things up. Trish07, I personally apologize for what you have gone through. I sent you a PM and hope you contact me. The exhaust is 409ss and it will have surface rust only. We did this to keep the exhaust system at a lower price. However, we hear all of you loud and clear. We will release a 304 SS version. We have now made all new exhaust systems in 304 to prevent these issues. We are constantly improving ourselves. We are new to the car exhaust market but do extremely well in the Diesel and Gas exhaust business. Trucks don't require 304 and we understand the car market does. I am thankful we got to hear all of these complaints because it will make us a better company. Trish07, you have every right to be upset and we are sorry you did not have anything less than a great experience. Thank you.
This is a little more like the customer service I first experienced with you guys when I had my issues late last year. My earlier comments that you "don't care" were probably a bit harsh. Dealing with multiple people at the same company in the run up to a holiday something is bound to fall through the cracks. Unlike some other companies I've dealt with, you guys actually followed through and made sure I pretty much got what I expected when I spent my money.

While I am a little concerned that the replacement is already pretty oxidized, I realize it is only cosmetic. However, if it turns out to be worse than that at some point, can you clarify the warranty coverage on the exhaust as 1 or 2 years? (I believe I may have sent my warranty booklet back with the old exhaust or lost it, and can't remember what it said).

I have been kicking around the idea of pulling the exhaust, wire brushing and cleaning it, and painting it black with a high heat exhaust paint for a stealthier look. If I choose to do this, would I be doing anything to jeapordize any warranty coverage? If so, I'll probably just plan to do this once the coverage is expired.

Thanks.
fledonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #81
trish07

Garage
New exhaust will be ready in 1 week!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #82
trish07

Garage
Exhaust should be shipped today!!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #83
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trish07 View Post
Exhaust should be shipped today!!
Wow, almost 2 months since it started. At least you got it resolved! I had to wait a month and a half for an Axleback I ordered only for the order to be wrong, then fight with the vendor to get my money back only to jump back in the line AGAIN for another month to get the proper order. At least I know it will be right this time, but damn, all this waiting and having to use the stock exhaust again is

No idea when mine will ship but I'm crossing my fingers for this week.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #84
trish07

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
Wow, almost 2 months since it started. At least you got it resolved! I had to wait a month and a half for an Axleback I ordered only for the order to be wrong, then fight with the vendor to get my money back only to jump back in the line AGAIN for another month to get the proper order. At least I know it will be right this time, but damn, all this waiting and having to use the stock exhaust again is

No idea when mine will ship but I'm crossing my fingers for this week.
Hope you'll get your sson! It is frustrating to buy something and not be able to use it at it should be, but well, companies can do errors, the most important is the way they solve them