follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #1
bzdont

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Flashing back to stock, why?

Lots of posts suggest that if you're using OFT for a tune after installing a performance header, you should flash back to stock before any dealer visit. Apparently, if the dealer reflashes the ECU (for whatever reason), then your OFT is basically useless if you weren't at stock -- not sure why.

But if you've installed a catless (or even catted) header, isn't there a very high likelihood that you'll throw a CEL code with the stock tune? Then it won't take the dealer long to check it out and find that you're missing a cat. So what's the point? Wouldn't it be better to keep your OFT tune (which explicitly disables common CEL codes) and just instruct your dealer not to reflash anything without your pre-approval?
bzdont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzdont View Post
Lots of posts suggest that if you're using OFT for a tune after installing a performance header, you should flash back to stock before any dealer visit. Apparently, if the dealer reflashes the ECU (for whatever reason), then your OFT is basically useless if you weren't at stock -- not sure why.

But if you've installed a catless (or even catted) header, isn't there a very high likelihood that you'll throw a CEL code with the stock tune? Then it won't take the dealer long to check it out and find that you're missing a cat. So what's the point? Wouldn't it be better to keep your OFT tune (which explicitly disables common CEL codes) and just instruct your dealer not to reflash anything without your pre-approval?
Why would they flash it in the first place? The dealer isn't going to do any work that they aren't getting paid for.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
tCsonfrs (09-06-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #3
Sideways
BRZZZZZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Whiteout
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Why would they flash it in the first place? The dealer isn't going to do any work that they aren't getting paid for.
If there is a TSB related to ECU, they do it, without your knowledge. My car was in to replace some rusted part and oil change and the guy told me that he re-flashed my ECU to new map to avoid idle dip.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:04 PM   #4
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzdont View Post

It wont disable oft if dealer reflashes your car.

all it means is that the new 'stock" rom in car flashed by dealer wont be in oft.

OFT roms are based on latest rom compatable with car.

It rearly only worth flashing to stock if you don't have any other performance parts on car, ie your car is presented as fully stock, or if you had some engine issue and you removed header and flash to stock so the dealer wont winge and bleat about the aftermarket mods
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
So the OFT won't see the new flash as a different car or different tune than it flashed to begin with and effectively unmarry itself? That's what I'm afraid of.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
So the OFT won't see the new flash as a different car or different tune than it flashed to begin with and effectively unmarry itself? That's what I'm afraid of.

no oft looks for same vin number, so unless they change ECU and stuff up the vin number your fine.

Dealer can flash tune in as oft does not lock ecu, but your oft can still flash over it
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
guybo (08-29-2017), Spuds (08-28-2017), Teseo (08-28-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 02:36 AM   #7
BuffDriver

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Now the question is: If the dealer had a factory update and did it to your car while you were in for service... it would wipe out your OFT tune. But would you then be able to delete/unmarry the oft n delete the first original 'present' tune on it and replace it with the new updated factory tune. Don't see how that would work.

Seems easier to just load the factory tune every time you go to the dealership. 9 times out of 10 they would not touch. But if they did then it would be easier to switch back to the OFT tune later.
FYI - when I got my OFT there was a sheet in the box that instructed you to switch to the OEM factory tune every time you took the car to the dealership just in case. I have done so.

And then find out what had changed in the new factory update and if it was valuable, apply it to your OFT custom tune which you would then load? Kind of like the notorious injector seal fix in the early model years. Wasn't that a software fix in the ECU?.

I wonder about this because I have a UEL header coming soon and wonder how I am going to handle service visits. One day real soon the dealership is going to take a close look at my car and we are going to part ways. And my car is only one year old!
Edelbrock SC kit w/ ECUtek tune, Oil Cooler, UEL catted header, Perrin 2.5 Overpipe n Catted midpipe, 3.0 Catback resonated (all exhst ceramic coated), TRD short shifter, MTEC clutch n trans springs, Trans: Pentosin MTF2, Diff: Motul 75W90, Whiteline trans bushing, 3/4" clutch slave cyl., Ferodo DS2500 pads w/Motul 600 fluid, 17x8 wheels n 235/45ZR-17 tires
BuffDriver is offline   Reply With Quote