follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
Venator

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question FI Help Please!

Hello everyone! I am looking to upgrade to either a turbo or SC. I have been looking at the Innovative SC because I like the stock fit and finish, also love the easy install.. However I really want 250-300whp because this is my DD I don't want to go too far over 300whp. I want to run 93 oct because E85 is not available in my area.

So my QUESTION is: What kit is the best, most reliable way to get this whp range? Also I would really love it if people that have had FI kits for a while now could comment on longevity and issues or no issues with their kits.

Please reply only if you have an FI kit as I am really looking for people who have a kit and DD experiences.

I am sorry if this thread was started somewhere else I am NEW to the forum and have not been able to find a thread like this.
Venator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
Suko

Drives: 2014 subaru brz
Look into the AVO turbo kit I'm about to buy it and have heard only good things about it and it seems to be easy to install
Suko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Venator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suko View Post
Look into the AVO turbo kit I'm about to buy it and have heard only good things about it and it seems to be easy to install

I was reading through your thread earlier and I liked what I saw about the AVO, but I have seen some odd things like warped headers and the likes. I was hoping to see if that was common. Also I like the whp that it puts out but the 1.5 kit hits about the same as the Innovative so at that point its a wash because both kits cost about the same. Or maybe I am totally wrong?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venator View Post
Hello everyone! I am looking to upgrade to either a turbo or SC. I have been looking at the Innovative SC because I like the stock fit and finish, also love the easy install.. However I really want 250-300whp because this is my DD I don't want to go too far over 300whp. I want to run 93 oct because E85 is not available in my area.

So my QUESTION is: What kit is the best, most reliable way to get this whp range? Also I would really love it if people that have had FI kits for a while now could comment on longevity and issues or no issues with their kits.

Please reply only if you have an FI kit as I am really looking for people who have a kit and DD experiences.

I am sorry if this thread was started somewhere else I am NEW to the forum and have not been able to find a thread like this.
@MAPerformance , @FullBlown , @ptuning
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
Suko

There's better torque gains from the AVO kit plus it's running lower boost levels so if you ever want to do higher boost it's a lot easier for the AVO kit as compared to the innovate kit plus if you ever do want to turn your 86 into a high 300hp or 400hp car just upgrade the turbo kit instead of buying a whole new kit. I've only heard one case of warped headers I wouldn't worry about it too much. Honestly it's about what you want out of your car what are you trying to get out of your car as far as a DD? Do you want it to be trackable too or just want a fun kick in your car?
The Following User Says Thank You to Suko For This Useful Post:
Drift-Office (02-11-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suko View Post
There's better torque gains from the AVO kit plus it's running lower boost levels so if you ever want to do higher boost it's a lot easier for the AVO kit as compared to the innovate kit plus if you ever do want to turn your 86 into a high 300hp or 400hp car just upgrade the turbo kit instead of buying a whole new kit. I've only heard one case of warped headers I wouldn't worry about it too much. Honestly it's about what you want out of your car what are you trying to get out of your car as far as a DD? Do you want it to be trackable too or just want a fun kick in your car?

Why not buy a kit that can make a nice torque curve and yet easily achieve 400whp and maintaing it throughout the rev range without upgrading the turbo ?

Sent from my IBrick
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #7
midnight23
dying bird under the hood

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
For your power goals I'd recommend the GReddy turbo kit, don't pay attention to the price on their website, just go through a vendor on here and it is much much cheaper. You will be able to achieve 250-300 WHP on the stock fuel system without issues.

For DD experience, it is up to a tuner to make that enjoyable for you. Right now my car idles like stock and gets better MPG than my old NA setup, it gives the car the kick it needs when you want to pass the soccer moms on the freeway and can be driven like it's original form when just cruising around town. Every kit has pros and cons, the con of the greddy kit would be that you shouldn't expect to go past 400WHP with it because it is a small turbo, but because it is small boost comes on extremely quick when you want it.
midnight23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #8
Venator

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight23 View Post
For your power goals I'd recommend the GReddy turbo kit, don't pay attention to the price on their website, just go through a vendor on here and it is much much cheaper. You will be able to achieve 250-300 WHP on the stock fuel system without issues.
To put the whp closer to 300 would you need to upgrade anything on the Greddy kit? I have also heard of some heat issues, are they major? I DO want to do some AutoX.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
Suko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
Why not buy a kit that can make a nice torque curve and yet easily achieve 400whp and maintaing it throughout the rev range without upgrading the turbo ?

Sent from my IBrick
You could get a FullBlown turbo kit instead but if he's looking for easy install and decent power gains like high 200's a FullBlown kit or one similar might be a bit too much considering the OP isn't looking for a massive power gain. I just suggest that of for some reason he would some time in the future would like more power gains just a turbo upgrade would do it instead of buying a new kit if he did decide to go with the AVO kit
Old 02-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #10
Venator

@Suko In all honesty I have been looking between the AVO and Greddy on the turbo end.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #11
midnight23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venator View Post
To put the whp closer to 300 would you need to upgrade anything on the Greddy kit? I have also heard of some heat issues, are they major? I DO want to do some AutoX.
I'm assuming you will be getting an exhaust also? If you do plan on it just go with a 3" right away and that will net you some more gains out of it. I just upgraded to 3" and will get dyno results sometime this month done to see the changes on it, i'm expecting at least 10whp. It won't be a problem hitting 300. I went with fuel mods because I plan to go e85 in the future. As for the heat it does get hot but in your area it shouldn't get anywhere near as hot as it does here. I ordered the full blown radiator oil cooler and shroud with fans because my build is leaning towards longevity and reliability, however this kit was designed for a stock FRS/BRZ.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
Venator

@midnight23 reliability and longevity are the MOST important things for my build, I want that over any hp gains. Do you run the Greddy kit? Would you recommend an oil cooler and radiator?

Old 02-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #13
midnight23

Yes you can see it in my build thread below. I think everyone on here would recommend an oil cooler first before radiator regardless of NA or turbo if you are going to hit the track. I went with both now because I don't want any issues this summer as it will be 100+ and this is my daily.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #14
Venator

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight23 View Post
Yes you can see it in my build thread below. I think everyone on here would recommend an oil cooler first before radiator regardless of NA or turbo if you are going to hit the track. I went with both now because I don't want any issues this summer as it will be 100+ and this is my daily.
Awesome, was that 270 dyno with a 3" exhaust?

Tags
forced induction, supercharger, turbo