follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Nicolas0esp1

Drives: Stock Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Subwoofer Delayed

I installed a subwoofer and every time I turn my car on it take a while like 10-15min to actually turn the sub on. IDK if its my sub or if I plugged the outputs in the wrong place.

I plugt it into the middle row on the top right... I kinda just guessed randomly. Is that the correct spot for a sub or was I wrong by putting it there. THX
Nicolas0esp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Before stressing about which RCAs are correct, I'd check your remote wire. Questions:

- When you turn on the stereo, does LED light up on the amp?

- Where did you pull the BAT+ (IGN+) from?

- Is there any place that could pinch that wire?

Troubleshooting - If you have an MP3 player and a 3.5mm --> RCA adapter and the amp is turning on correctly, plug in the RCAs connected to the MP3 player (with the volume all the way down). Turn up the volume and see if you get any output. If the amp is turning on, but the outputs aren't... you probably should invest in a new amp. If the amp doesn't turn on, you should redo the remote wire connections.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Muskokan

Drives: white Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yea more likely an amp problem. Is it constant once it turns on? When you say the sub doesn't turn on the amp too?

Check your ground.
Muskokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
Nicolas0esp1

Drives: Stock Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankenstein View Post
Before stressing about which RCAs are correct, I'd check your remote wire. Questions:

- When you turn on the stereo, does LED light up on the amp?

- Where did you pull the BAT+ (IGN+) from?

- Is there any place that could pinch that wire?

Troubleshooting - If you have an MP3 player and a 3.5mm --> RCA adapter and the amp is turning on correctly, plug in the RCAs connected to the MP3 player (with the volume all the way down). Turn up the volume and see if you get any output. If the amp is turning on, but the outputs aren't... you probably should invest in a new amp. If the amp doesn't turn on, you should redo the remote wire connections.
-Ya the amp turns on fine and I made sure that the wire is in good and is not getting any stress. I connected the amp strait to the car batt with a small fuse box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskokan View Post
Yea more likely an amp problem. Is it constant once it turns on? When you say the sub doesn't turn on the amp too?

Check your ground.
-The AMP is inside the actual sub and the power connections are fine.

- I think it is the sub cause I just figured out when I turn my volume up to about 40 (which is kinda high) the sub starts to output like it should and when i bring it back down from that it stays on meaning the sub is working but if i don't raise the volume when I start the car (which my volume is normally set at 20 (normal)) it sound like the sub is muffled. Anyways I think i'm ok with it now knowing that THX man
Nicolas0esp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Good! The amp is on. Next places to troubleshoot are the source and the gain.

Judging from your comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas0esp1 View Post
- I think it is the sub cause I just figured out when I turn my volume up to about 40 (which is kinda high) the sub starts to output like it should and when i bring it back down from that it stays on meaning the sub is working but if i don't raise the volume when I start the car (which my volume is normally set at 20 (normal).
It sounds like the source is OK, but your gain/bass boost/low-pass and subsonic filters may not be set properly.

1) If you have bass boost, turn it off. If you have a low-pass set it to the highest value. If you have a subsonic filter, set it to 0 Hz (or as low as it goes). Set your gain as low as it goes.

2) Play music that has consistent bass. Lil Jon or Young Jeezy are good choices. If you have access to noise sources (pink or white, -6 dB) you can tune the system with them too.

3) Turn up the headunit to the loudest volume that you would listen to, with the front door and dash speakers.

4) Slowly turn up the gain and listen to the subwoofer. When you hear slight distortion, turn it back down just a bit.

5) If you want to use a low-pass and subsonic filter, set those to your liking (120 Hz and 30 Hz should be a fine combination in this car) and repeat Step 4.

6) If you want to use bass boost, set the frequency and level... then turn down the gain until distortion is no longer heard.

Question: Which "amp-in-sub" setup do you have? LINK to Crutchfield's Powered Subwoofer selection
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amp, music, stereo, subwoofer