follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
Donbrz

Drives: 2015 Brz Blue Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HKS Hi Power Spec L at 3,4&5k Rpms

Sound clip of HKS Spec L (BT001) hi power Catback with all other oem stock. Sound deep, and in my opinion only slightly louder than Invidea Q300. Substantially lighter than stock or Q300 at about 24 lbs. Slight but noticeable increase in acceleration; which I did not expect based on reading of this thread.

Apologies to admin in posting to separate thread, but was unable to figure out how to attach to compilation thread

Last edited by Donbrz; 04-05-2015 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Ref to admin
Donbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Imho it misses important point. How loud are cold starts. As for acceleration (and braking, and cornering, and fuel economy) .. yes, even 24lbs off can enhance it .. but imho to be felt as more then placebo, some more weight cuts need to be made. With 100lbs or even more - i would beleave. With less .. for average person it's placeboo thing. Otherwise even driving with almost empty or full tank of gas would be noticeable for anybody. For thickheaded me .. i usually notice weight changes only if they are at least comparable to one passenger worth of weight.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
Donbrz

Drives: 2015 Brz Blue Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Imho it misses important point. How loud are cold starts. As for acceleration (and braking, and cornering, and fuel economy) .. yes, even 24lbs off can enhance it .. but imho to be felt as more then placebo, some more weight cuts need to be made. With 100lbs or even more - i would beleave. With less .. for average person it's placeboo thing. Otherwise even driving with almost empty or full tank of gas would be noticeable for anybody. For thickheaded me .. i usually notice weight changes only if they are at least comparable to one passenger worth of weight.
Idle at start of video. In Texas so a truly cold start is rare. Maybe placebo effect on acceleration, but I think the effect is coming less constriction on back flow rather than weight.
Donbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I had the Spec-l for a while, sounded great until I added a header.
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decay107 For This Useful Post:
Donbrz (04-05-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
.. or less constriction. But which also adds not more then +5hp from catback without tune, probably less, also hard to felt with 'butt dyno' . My bet is rather impression from sound, kind of contrary, when few did sound-tube delete mod & felt like if car had become slower
As for cold start .. dunno, i bought mine half a year ago in late & cold autumn, so hasn't yet seen how starts are in warm weather and if in warm weather ECU also pushes richer fuel / plays with ignition timing / higher idle rpms on engine startup, like it does in cold weather. While stock exhaust is still reasonably quiet for that, my collegue's WRX cold starts are hellish loud for first minute, and he really has to mind neighbourhood ears. In few vids of aftermarket exhausts i've seen similar issue, so imho it's important enough point to fully evaluate noise of some specific exhaust.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:06 PM   #6
EvoPrecision8

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport Tech
Garage
Here's my HKS Spec L with Tomei front pipe.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uwBfSHvc-w"]HKS Spec L + Tomei Type 60 Cold Start | Subaru BRZ - YouTube[/ame]

The Spec L alone wasn't doing it for me. It was alright under load and on deceleration, but wasn't substantially different than stock. I heard more engine noise than anything when revving. The quality and fit was very good, and it is very light for a duel exit. It looks great in my opinion too (lightweight version anyways). Paired with the front pipe (and now overpipe) it sounds really nice in my opinion, but with a header I think I will have to go to a catted or resonated FP or it will be too raspy.
EvoPrecision8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EvoPrecision8 For This Useful Post:
Donbrz (04-05-2015)

Tags
bt001, hks brz catback, spec l