follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2016, 02:59 AM   #1
euthqt

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 10 Series AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Changing Automatic Transmission Fluid

Hey guys.

So I'm planning on changing my ATF for my FRS here soon. I'm planning on using Redline D6 fluids. Now, I want to do this myself, but after doing research and reading over the instructions a few times, I'm feeling a bit concerned.

The instructions state to bring the transmission fluid temp to around 42c at certain points. Being as I don't have a Toyota diagnosis tool, how would I go about doing this correctly, or do I have to bite the bullet and let a dealer do it? :eek:

If anyone has tips, instructions, or lessons learned, I appreciate it!

Thanks guys.
euthqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:23 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,977 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euthqt View Post
Hey guys.

So I'm planning on changing my ATF for my FRS here soon. I'm planning on using Redline D6 fluids. Now, I want to do this myself, but after doing research and reading over the instructions a few times, I'm feeling a bit concerned.

The instructions state to bring the transmission fluid temp to around 42c at certain points. Being as I don't have a Toyota diagnosis tool, how would I go about doing this correctly, or do I have to bite the bullet and let a dealer do it? :eek:

Thanks guys.
If your unsure after reading the instructions, I would suggest you have the dealer or a transmission shop do it.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
euthqt

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 10 Series AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Okay, fair enough. I'm buying fluids now. I got redline d6 ATF for the AT tranny and motul 300v 75w90 for the diff. Random question, if you have an AT, would the diff require different fluid than the manual?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
euthqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:10 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,977 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Okay, fair enough. I'm buying fluids now. I got redline d6 ATF for the AT tranny and motul 300v 75w90 for the diff. Random question, if you have an AT, would the diff require different fluid than the manual?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I believe that all differentials in the FR-S, made for the US market, have the same differential, whether the transmission is an AT or MT, so the fluid replacement would be the same.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:16 AM   #5
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
The service manual explains how to adjust the fluid level without any SST.

To drain and fill, you need:
Flat floor
BRZ service manual
Crush washers for drain hole
Some way of funnelling ATF in to the fill hole
Drip tray
Wire
Patience

That will replace about 1/8 of the fluid.

If you want to replace it all, you need to go to a reputable transmission shop that can pump fluid through the entire transmission including the torque converter without fucking the valve body, etc.

Quote:
Hey guys.

Thanks guys.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote