follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
UNREAL

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86 GT (Auto)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Brake Upgrade, Advice needed!

Dears,

I want to upgrade my brakes, my car is stock but where I reside now the tarmac is quite smooth (in a bad way) and all cars struggle when braking. taking also into account the driving culture is like hooligan party and destruction derby every day... in short having better brakes is kinda mandatory for me.

I was thinking of upgrading the brakes, then I saw the insanely expensive asking price of brembo kits (6 pots F / 4 pots R) are around 5K-6K USD

I decided to upgrade the rotors and the pads as stage one.
1- Rotors: (DBA Slotted T3 Rotors).
2- Pads: I want something better than stock, but nothing screaming and squeaky.

Question: with the (Rotors/Pads) path really make a tangible difference?

PS: I'll swap the wheels and tires too with 18"x8.5 and 245 summer sticky tires.

Thanks in advance for your contributions and advice.

BR,

UNREAL
UNREAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNREAL View Post
Dears,

I want to upgrade my brakes, my car is stock but where I reside now the tarmac is quite smooth (in a bad way) and all cars struggle when braking. taking also into account the driving culture is like hooligan party and destruction derby every day... in short having better brakes is kinda mandatory for me.

I was thinking of upgrading the brakes, then I saw the insanely expensive asking price of brembo kits (6 pots F / 4 pots R) are around 5K-6K USD

PS: I'll swap the wheels and tires too with 18"x8.5 and 245 summer sticky tires.

BR,

UNREAL
I think tires will make the biggest difference next would be pads for street use. You could also do SS brake lines and MC brake to help with pedal feel. New fluid too.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
UNREAL (11-27-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Op you might want to also look at wildwood big brake kit(front). They are quite reliable and much less expensive than Brembo's. They come in a 4 and 6 piston versions for about 1/3 to half the price

for reference: http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm...y_Code=Wilwood
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
UNREAL (11-27-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'd advise to get fronts-only APR sprint kit, if you are more after function, not looks.
Not screaming, not squeeking .. it's more what compound type of pads are used, not so much what brake kits.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
UNREAL (11-27-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 03:19 PM   #5
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
if you want better brakes for the street, just pads and fluid will be fine. there is no need to change out the rotors unless you want to. same with stainless steel lines. however, I think the most difference will be changing to summer tires. if you keep the same tires as you had before, even with better brakes your tires will still struggle to find grip on the road the same as before.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Dears,

BR,

UNREAL
Get sticky tires, and better pads/fluids. Absolutely nothing wrong with the stock rotors.

If you can engage ABS, "better" brakes aren't going to stop you faster, you need more grip.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-26-2015), go_a_way1 (11-26-2015), Trac Toy (11-26-2015), Tristor (04-28-2018), UNREAL (11-27-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
UNREAL

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
I think tires will make the biggest difference next would be pads for street use. You could also do SS brake lines and MC brake to help with pedal feel. New fluid too.
Good, so tires and pads first, any specific pads you recommend?
forgive my ignorance what is an MC brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
Op you might want to also look at wildwood big brake kit(front). They are quite reliable and much less expensive than Brembo's. They come in a 4 and 6 piston versions for about 1/3 to half the price
for reference: http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm...y_Code=Wilwood
Problem is that I cannot see myself upgrading the fronts and leaving the rear... I cannot... it feels wrong,
Willwood seems more affordable but still costs +3K USD for all 4 wheels /without installation.

I'll consider this kit after I FI my 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
I'd advise to get fronts-only APR sprint kit, if you are more after function, not looks.
Not screaming, not squeeking .. it's more what compound type of pads are used, not so much what brake kits.
Front only is not an option for me, a psychological issue, I hate partial solutions, I know it works, but still I cannot do it.

And I know the sound is related to the pads only,check my OP again, you'll find it mentioned in the point about pads options., since we are discussing pads, Could you please recommend any specific brand/material that provides better than OEM performance?

Appreciating your feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
if you want better brakes for the street, just pads and fluid will be fine. there is no need to change out the rotors unless you want to. same with stainless steel lines. however, I think the most difference will be changing to summer tires. if you keep the same tires as you had before, even with better brakes your tires will still struggle to find grip on the road the same as before.
Good advice, so:
1- Extreme/Max summer tires
2- Pads (any recommendations?)
3- fluid (Any Recommendations?)

Question:
1- are our OEM rotors big/good enough for spirited street use?

as for SS lines? I saw some YouTube videos stating they have no real world benefits, only theoretical.

Tanks to all of you for replying, and I'll be glad to see more opinions on this matter.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #8
UNREAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Get sticky tires, and better pads/fluids. Absolutely nothing wrong with the stock rotors.

If you can engage ABS, "better" brakes aren't going to stop you faster, you need more grip.

Exactly my problem, ABS engagement is frequent, even when the situation doesn't require it.

you are also advising me to go the following route:

Many thanks for your advice
Old 11-26-2015, 05:50 PM   #9
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:

Problem is that I cannot see myself upgrading the fronts and leaving the rear... I cannot... it feels wrong,
Willwood seems more affordable but still costs +3K USD for all 4 wheels /without installation.

Front only is not an option for me, a psychological issue, I hate partial solutions, I know it works, but still I cannot do it.

And I know the sound is related to the pads only,check my OP again, you'll find it mentioned in the point about pads options., since we are discussing pads, Could you please recommend any specific brand/material that provides better than OEM performance?

Good advice, so:

Question:

as for SS lines? I saw some YouTube videos stating they have no real world benefits, only theoretical.

Tanks to all of you for replying, and I'll be glad to see more opinions on this matter.
First I agree tires and pads are the first thing you should do. That being said, the logic behind doing only the front brakes it physics. (look at the rear brakes and they are quite large and actually do their job well).

But anyways when you apply the brakes the momentum and weight of the car shift forward. This means there is a much greater force/traction put on the front tires during medium/hard braking. Meaning the front tires and brakes actually do a whole lot more work in stopping your car than the rear do. (all the weight is in the front and the momentum applies even more pressure to the front when braking so it is only logical that the load is far superior on the front brakes and they therefore benefit the most from bigger/better brakes).

Also from a physics standpoint, a stronger braking force in the front should (on paper) induce a bit of oversteer (in certain situations) and I assume that if you bought this car then you must love oversteer like I do

My post may not be 100% accurate as my (college level) physics studies are very far away and my mechanical knowledge/know-how is average/decent at best.
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
UNREAL (11-27-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #10
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:

(Master cylinder brace)

Good advice, so:
1- Extreme/Max summer tires (R rated compound )
3- fluid (Any Recommendations?) (Castrol React SRF is what I run)

Question:
(Yes)

(You only really stiffen up the pedal and get a better "feel", This might help you not engage ABS as offten as you have more control over the pressure applied)
Few responds in bold
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
UNREAL (11-27-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #11
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Good advice, so:

Question:

I have the Winmax W5 pads and Torque RT700 fluid. I am on the stock brake rotors and I track my car. the W5 pads are more of a track pad and are kind of noisy when you use partial brake pressure on the street. though, that problem might be with me not fully bedding in the brakes on the street due to my laziness lol. however, I work them good on my first session on track days to make sure they are bedded in. I have not experienced any brake fade at all, actually, with my stock rotors and upgraded pads, lines, and fluid under track driving.

for street driving and spirited use, I would say the Winmax W2 or W3 are good solutions. I am recommending Winmax since they are the only aftermarket pad I have used so far, but other people might recommend a different brand. I don't have any experience with other brands so I cannot recommend any aside from Winmax. as for fluid, either RBF600 or the RT700 are good. I have used RBF600 on my previous car, but not my BRZ, but to be honest, I cannot see any noticeable difference between the two. the RT700 has a higher boiling point than the RBF600 so on paper it is better, but in the real world (and especially on the street), I cannot find a difference.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #12
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Unreal: for mostly street i'd probably would go for Ferrordo DS2500 pads
Fumanchu1: rears are as large because they need to fit around parking brake, not because they need that size for effective braking.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
UNREAL (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 02:27 AM   #13
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
For DD Winmax W2 will be an upgrade without the squel of a W3 or comparable pad with a slight increase over oem. Motul RBF600 should be sufficient for fluid. OEM rotors are totally fine for spirited driving. SS lines help with feel slightly but not improve stopping power or anything.

I like Project Mu also so maybe their Bforce pads but I have no experiance and havent seen any reviews on them

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David

Last edited by finch1750; 11-27-2015 at 08:25 PM.
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
UNREAL (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #14
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
For pads on pure street car, I'd go with a Carbotech AX6, Winmax W2, Project mU HC800+ or Ferodo DS2500. They're all better than stock, but not noisy like a full track pad.

Fluid, anything is better than stock really. Castrol SRF is really nice, but it's hugely overkill for a street car and it's really expensive ($90 cdn/liter compared to like $30 cdn/liter for other fluids). If you're not boiling lower temp fluid, then you don't *need* something super high temp like SRF.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-27-2015), UNREAL (11-27-2015)