follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #29
jimmillion
Power Ranger Elite

Drives: '13 WRB Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venator View Post
Weird, I never had any drone at all.. I wonder what's different. I did install the whole header back at once tho.
Going full header back definetly is the difference I'm only cat back... Header back may be the right choice if the op wants to avoid drone.

jimmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #30
Shedd22
BAMF

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.wood0213 View Post
Thats a good price, do you remember where you got it from?
It was a fantastic price and they got it to me quickly. I got it from @Aristocrat Autosport. Send them a PM and tell them I sent them your way.

Last edited by Shedd22; 07-16-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Shedd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shedd22 For This Useful Post:
m.wood0213 (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #31
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmillion View Post
Going full header back definetly is the difference I'm only cat back... Header back may be the right choice if the op wants to avoid drone.

Idk about that. From what I've read so far the more you replace the greater the chance of drone especially in the header area if you go uncatted. It will be ridiculously loud.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #32
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Garage
Friday bump. Looking for some more opinions.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
My BRZ
Old 08-03-2014, 04:55 AM   #33
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Just a heads up if you actually want to feel something in terms of power I would go for the OFT tune. I did a similar path; perrin catback then oft. Honestly did the catback because I hated the tips and tbh you don't feel any huge difference with catback.

The OFT is amazing though and gives you more functionality than you could think of for a tablet/500$
"I love dinosaurs so much that I’ve based my life on burning as much black melted dinosaur flesh as I can on a daily basis...even the screaming sound of prehistoric reptilians being burnt through any of the classic Japanese four cylinders gives me great joy."
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #34
youcantseeme24

Drives: 2013 subaru brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nooooooos! (Toretto voice)
youcantseeme24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #35
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I need to add some spunk to my BRZ. This car is my DD and I'm only looking for something in the $500-600 range or less.

I'm leaning towards an exhaust component. I just feel like the car has no personality and I don't think anything cosmetically will provide that.

However I've got a dilemma, my old Supra had an exhaust and my fiancé as well as myself absolutely hated it. It was loud, obnoxious, and droned like no other right in the 2k-4k rpm range. So she DOES not want me to do it again. I can't decide if a Catted front pipe will give me what I am looking for or if I should go with an axle back. Axle back will be much easier to install than a full CBE and FP but FP is 1/2 the cost and I can buy the Q300 for as hair under $600.

Please help me.
Where are you getting Q300 for under $600

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #36
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post
Where are you getting Q300 for under $600

There's a vendor selling for $589 advertised on here.
My BRZ
Old 08-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #37
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I wouldn't listen to much of the advice from "Ubersuber" (aka Suberman) at all, if you want reliable information on suspension setup check the thread by CSG and RCE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubersuber View Post
Seriously, I'd forget engine mods short of forced induction.

If I had $500.00 to spend I'd buy Bilsteins and fit them myself (in reality I have enough to pay someone much more skilled than I to fit them).

I bought new tires first. Knowing what I now know (that Subaru is fitting Sachs dampers to the 2015 cars) and having experienced the transformation my BRZ experienced by fitting Bilstein HD (B6) dampers and struts that's the only mod I would have done. I seriously think I could have tolerated the stock tires longer had I fitted the Bilsteins first.
You're seriously out to lunch if you think that bilstein shocks/struts would have changed the handling balance so much that the stock tires would be comparable to better tires. Are the bilsteins better than stock, yes, but are they so much better than stock that it would've made it substantially more grippy on the stock tires, not a chance.

Quote:
Oh, yes, and as the rear Bilsteins go in cut one half inch out of the rear bump stops, or cut a bit off the soft end if you don't want to mess around with gluing bits of bump stop back together. A bit more damper travel before the car hits the bump stop would be desirable unless you want to drift regularly.
Do not cut the bump stops with stock springs, they're designed as an integral part of the spring rate package and cutting them on stock springs will result in you messing up the handling.

Quote:
Get the alignment within spec even if you have to fit camber bolts. My rear axle is now set at 1.9 degrees negative each side with the help of a pair of Subaru factory camber bolts. The front probably won't need camber adjustment but if it does you can get camber bolts for the bottom of the strut to assist.
Adding more camber to the rear is the last thing these cars need. You need to add front camber first. The rear suspension gains a lot more camber as it is compressed compared to the front. I also wouldn't run bolts to adjust camber in the rear. Offset bushings, adjustable upper control arms or adjustable lower control arms are the way to go for rear camber adjustment.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
m.wood0213 (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #38
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
There's a vendor selling for $589 advertised on here.
Link?

DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #39
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post
Link?

A simple search revealed:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69875
My BRZ