follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So many posts?

Is it really necessary to start so many new threads with just a pic of a car you found online with another set of aftermarket wheels? Couldn't they all go in one thread so as not to pollute the forums with so many new threads?
Old 07-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Drives: FR-S No More
Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,091 Posts
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Here is how it works. Every wheel combo gets its own topic so that a discussion can be had about tires, fitment, price, colors, availability, etc. Once the topic is created it gets listed in the Wheel Directory so that it can be referenced for years to come. If nobody wants/needs to discuss that wheel then the topic will filter down the page and get lost in the archives until it gets resurrected down the road.

If people post unrelated comments in the topic then it stays at the top of the page, so I have split your comment off so that it doesn't cause an irrelevant discussion that someone will have to read when they are researching that wheel at some point.

I am open to suggestions from all as to how to improve this system. I think it is working pretty good and allows for a simple, quick research tool for those who want to buy wheels -- but I'm sure that there are some ideas that might make it even better. Let's hear them!
DarrenDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to DarrenDriven For This Useful Post:
Chewie4299 (07-29-2012), civicdrivr (07-29-2012), cyde01 (07-31-2012), djdnz (07-29-2012), giraffee (07-28-2012), hankster (07-27-2012), helloimgil (07-27-2012), JoeBoxer (07-27-2012), Khyron686 (07-27-2012), Laika (07-27-2012), nzer (07-27-2012), quik1987 (07-29-2012), rcm47 (07-29-2012), WithNolock (07-27-2012), YinYang1980 (07-28-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I like the system - as I'm only interested in certain sizes/weights rather than just scrolling through pages and pages. As mentioned, most will filter off into the archives to be found by searching/lurkers.
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
BRAWL

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Velocity Orange
Wheel weights and style interest me most and the wheel directory is pure awesome. My mod friend at aus300zx is 'borrowing' the idea for their forum
BRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRAWL For This Useful Post:
DarrenDriven (07-28-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow, so there will be a new thread for every possible wheel (and tire?) that fits the BRZ/FRS? Amazing. Simply amazing.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniata View Post
Wow, so there will be a new thread for every possible wheel (and tire?) that fits the BRZ/FRS? Amazing. Simply amazing.
After threads run their course they fall off the main page where can never bother you ever again. Threads of note get linked in the directory to make them easier to find. I don't understand why this bothers you. It's not like every new thread is printed out, bound, and mailed to each active member of the forum. If the forum needs more space, they'll archive old threads.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniata View Post
You sound like an amazingly fun person. Simply amazing.

#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think a directory with links to the original post makes sense and is a great idea, but quoting the picture to create a new thread and then linking from the directory to the new thread seems like clutter to me. Why not just link to the original picture, or if you really feel the need to create a thread for every wheel/tire combo, move that post to its own new thread without duplicating posts? Surely any discussion about said picture could take place in the thread it was originally posted in, couldn't it?

edit: Are both threads, original and newly created, being monitored for comments to be combined into one comment thread as well? Otherwise you possibly have two discussions on the same topic.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Garage
The reason that I made new topics for each one is because the original poster put 5-6 different wheels into a single reply for the main Wheel Directory. If I just link to that particular post, once someone replies it could end up pages after the original photo was posted and just cause confusion. If the wheel gets its own topic (and is listed in the Wheel Directory, of course) then that topic will contain only questions and answers relevant to that wheel which will make it a useful topic in the long run. If nobody ever replies then it will just sink below the surface of the forum and won't bother anyone ever again.

This has already come in useful when someone has installed identical wheels as another member. They can just post in the same topic and then there are two people ready to answer questions pertaining to that particular wheel combo.

In the long run this will make for an easier, cleaner wheel forum -- it's just while things are blowing up that it will be a little chaotic because EVERY wheel combination is essentially a new one that needs to be listed in the Wheel Directory and get its own topic. Come back in a few months and you will be amazed at how nice the Wheel Directory will be!
Old 07-28-2012, 03:37 AM   #10
Mr. Sociable
Hombabe

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenDriven View Post
Here is how it works. Every wheel combo gets its own topic so that a discussion can be had about tires, fitment, price, colors, availability, etc. Once the topic is created it gets listed in the Wheel Directory so that it can be referenced for years to come. If nobody wants/needs to discuss that wheel then the topic will filter down the page and get lost in the archives until it gets resurrected down the road.

If people post unrelated comments in the topic then it stays at the top of the page, so I have split your comment off so that it doesn't cause an irrelevant discussion that someone will have to read when they are researching that wheel at some point.

I am open to suggestions from all as to how to improve this system. I think it is working pretty good and allows for a simple, quick research tool for those who want to buy wheels -- but I'm sure that there are some ideas that might make it even better. Let's hear them!
Why not brand specific threads with the wheels posted in there? Limits clutter in the forum and you can search inside of a thread for whatever specific model or fitment you want.

ex) The Enkei Wheel Thread, The Volk/Rays Wheel Thread, etc

That's how it's (mostly) done on NASIOC and I really enjoy it. Helps to give less popular/rare wheels a shot at being seen. The way it's currently being done a non-popular wheel thread will never be bumped, ever.
Mr. Sociable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sociable View Post
ex) The Enkei Wheel Thread, The Volk/Rays Wheel Thread, etc

That's how it's (mostly) done on NASIOC and I really enjoy it. Helps to give less popular/rare wheels a shot at being seen. The way it's currently being done a non-popular wheel thread will never be bumped, ever.
I never got that method. I'm looking for light <20 lbs more-than-5 spoke 17 inch wheels in silver or graphite. Don't care which brand. Brand threads are for fans or people who already have picked what they're after IMO.
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
Mr. Sociable
Hombabe

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyron686 View Post
I never got that method. I'm looking for light <20 lbs more-than-5 spoke 17 inch wheels in silver or graphite. Don't care which brand. Brand threads are for fans or people who already have picked what they're after IMO.
How are you going to find those with the thread system we currently have? AFAIK none of them have weight/spoke count. Most don't have weight, some don't even have color/specs. Without those, the search function is useless. At least with the brand thread method you can zero in on brands that you know make quality wheels and go from there.
Mr. Sociable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
Mr. Mcoupe

Drives: ExigeS,M3,S2k,MCpe,MR2T,T4R,Sienna
Yes.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sociable View Post
How are you going to find those with the thread system we currently have? AFAIK none of them have weight/spoke count. Most don't have weight, some don't even have color/specs. Without those, the search function is useless. At least with the brand thread method you can zero in on brands that you know make quality wheels and go from there.
Ummm... pretty easily. Every single topic has a photo thumbnail in the Wheel Directory so you can easily choose the wheel style (spokes, color, etc) from the photos. If we know the weight it is listed as well. I guess I could actually write the number of spokes and color in the link, but if there is a photo then what is the point of that extra work?

For right now we have a member ( @quik1987 ) who is scouring the JDM interweb archives finding wheel combos in bulk and posting them. This is causing a lot of noise in the forum FOR THE MOMENT, but it's good noise... I mean, if you bought an FR-S or a BRZ and you have a problem looking at lots of cool JDM wheel photos then you probably shouldn't be here, haha. Once he runs out of archives things will get quiet again.

Last edited by DarrenDriven; 07-28-2012 at 04:31 PM.