follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-29-2019, 12:47 AM   #29
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Meanwhile, why are some of the SW buttons not functional on the TRD while the BRZ limited shows signs on each of the buttons. Can the empty buttons be used later on the TRD?

thanks

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:10 PM   #30
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
trd looks amazing imo
Old 01-29-2019, 03:27 PM   #31
Myriad

Drives: 2017 86, 2012 Tundra, 1999 Integra
Regarding the original question, it is a tough call and I think it purely comes down to aesthetics. Which style speaks to you more? (More on that later)

Physically, among the only differences are the radio head units. The BRZ has Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and I think a CD player going in its favor. I really wish my 86 had CarPlay. When I bought mine in 2017 neither the BRZ or 86 had them, but Subaru has updated since then. The only advantage Toyota has here now is the touch screen is a little larger.

I believe the 86 TRD has no heated seats either, forgoing them to have the red and black alcantara color scheme. I think it’s the only higher end version of the twins to lack them.

You might prefer the TRD spoiler to the BRZ wing. Probably more functional, sturdy, and easier to wash.

The MSRP for the BRZ limited is a better value on paper for sure, but what you actually negotiate for from the dealer might be a wash. There are a bunch of TRDs in the Philly area on the lots right now and I bet you could sweet talk one down. I got my 86 for well under MSRP, practically invoice since it was in the lot for awhile and the Toyota dealer seemed willing to haggle. It seemed the Suburu dealers were less likely to move much at all on price when I shopped.

As for the comments of others, why all the 86 hate, people? Sheesh. To say it’s ugly, that’s just your opinion, man. Go have a White Russian and chill. For what it’s worth, I find the FRS front end to be the worst of the 4 bumpers, but I’m not going to rag on it and make you feel bad for owning one. We’re all brothers. I’ll admit the 86 bumper looked bad to me from the line drawing graphic they showed upon introduction, but seeing one in person I came to realize it is just plain cool! Perhaps your first opinions were set like mine and you simply have never come around because you’ve not had the pleasure to see or own one? Or is it simply human nature to like what one has, and there are far more FRS owners than 86 owners at this point? It is what many of you are used to and we all naturally resist change to subconsciously validate our own decisions in life.

Good luck in your decision and have fun shopping. Get the one that makes you happiest at the best deal you can get!

Myriad
Myriad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Myriad For This Useful Post:
Busybee (01-29-2019), Spuds (02-03-2019), Tcoat (01-29-2019), yurikaze (02-04-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #32
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Regarding the original question, it is a tough call and I think it purely comes down to aesthetics. Which style speaks to you more? (More on that later)

Physically, among the only differences are the radio head units. The BRZ has Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and I think a CD player going in its favor. I really wish my 86 had CarPlay. When I bought mine in 2017 neither the BRZ or 86 had them, but Subaru has updated since then. The only advantage Toyota has here now is the touch screen is a little larger.

I believe the 86 TRD has no heated seats either, forgoing them to have the red and black alcantara color scheme. I think it’s the only higher end version of the twins to lack them.

You might prefer the TRD spoiler to the BRZ wing. Probably more functional, sturdy, and easier to wash.

The MSRP for the BRZ limited is a better value on paper for sure, but what you actually negotiate for from the dealer might be a wash. There are a bunch of TRDs in the Philly area on the lots right now and I bet you could sweet talk one down. I got my 86 for well under MSRP, practically invoice since it was in the lot for awhile and the Toyota dealer seemed willing to haggle. It seemed the Suburu dealers were less likely to move much at all on price when I shopped.

As for the comments of others, why all the 86 hate, people? Sheesh. To say it’s ugly, that’s just your opinion, man. Go have a White Russian and chill. For what it’s worth, I find the FRS front end to be the worst of the 4 bumpers, but I’m not going to rag on it and make you feel bad for owning one. We’re all brothers. I’ll admit the 86 bumper looked bad to me from the line drawing graphic they showed upon introduction, but seeing one in person I came to realize it is just plain cool! Perhaps your first opinions were set like mine and you simply have never come around because you’ve not had the pleasure to see or own one? Or is it simply human nature to like what one has, and there are far more FRS owners than 86 owners at this point? It is what many of you are used to and we all naturally resist change to subconsciously validate our own decisions in life.

Good luck in your decision and have fun shopping. Get the one that makes you happiest at the best deal you can get!

Myriad
We very clearly said WE thought it is ugly. Yes it is only an opinion but we will express it if we wish. Your whole validation thing works both ways. I don't need to validate shit. I know what I like and the new bumper is not among those things.
funwheeldrive (02-03-2019), Impureclient (02-02-2019), Myriad (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 03:49 PM   #33
Myriad

Drives: 2017 86, 2012 Tundra, 1999 Integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
We very clearly said WE thought it is ugly. Yes it is only an opinion but we will express it if we wish. Your whole validation thing works both ways. I don't need to validate shit. I know what I like and the new bumper is not among those things.
By all means, express. We can at least agree that Hot Lava is the best color.

Myriad
Myriad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Myriad For This Useful Post:
BellaItalia (02-21-2019), Busybee (01-29-2019), Tcoat (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #34
mrderp
ಠ_ಠ

Drives: 860 SansOverspray
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I also dislike the new Subaru gauges with the little screen and fake dyno screen showing where you are in the powerband
It was there on the 860 Edition and is present on the 86 GT and TRD.

I pretty much leave mine on the temp gauge page.
mrderp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #35
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
By all means, express. We can at least agree that Hot Lava is the best color.

Myriad
Oh without a doubt!
Old 01-29-2019, 04:07 PM   #36
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,246 Times in 8,613 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Oh without a doubt!
Attached Images

Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #37
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Old 01-29-2019, 04:10 PM   #38
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
I like the kouki TRD kit, but I would probably get the BRZ cuz I destroy cars cosmetically. If you are one to keep things pristine and like the look the extra $$$ may be worth it

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Busybee (01-29-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 11:19 PM   #39
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
I was considering both when I bought my 2019 86 this fall. Ultimately, I chose neither and went with an 86 limited with a few TRD parts instead.

Reason being the TRD edition was too tacky looking and dealers seem flooded with them - I suspect resale will not be good. I mean, if you are 16 I guess it could be cool.

I found the TRD springs and sway bars to make a better improvement than the brakes and dampers on the brz perf pack. I'm sure on a track you'd get that extra bit out of them, but driving around even spirited on canyon roads I didn't notice a real difference. These cars biggest weakness is power(going), not stopping.

All that said, it's splitting hairs. When you are shopping for the car it feels like these little things will make a huge difference, but the truth is you really won't care in 6 months. Just get the one you 'like' better and the rest will work itself out. You can always swap out any of these parts between models or modify after at a reasonable cost if you feel you made a horrible choice.

When I see a BRZ perf pack now I say to myself "Hmm... I like that also. I would have been equally as happy if I got that or the one I have now"
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xdavidx For This Useful Post:
Busybee (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 11:27 PM   #40
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post
I was considering both when I bought my 2019 86 this fall. Ultimately, I chose neither and went with an 86 limited with a few TRD parts instead.

Reason being the TRD edition was too tacky looking and dealers seem flooded with them - I suspect resale will not be good. I mean, if you are 16 I guess it could be cool.

I found the TRD springs and sway bars to make a better improvement than the brakes and dampers on the brz perf pack. I'm sure on a track you'd get that extra bit out of them, but driving around even spirited on canyon roads I didn't notice a real difference. These cars biggest weakness is power(going), not stopping.

All that said, it's splitting hairs. When you are shopping for the car it feels like these little things will make a huge difference, but the truth is you really won't care in 6 months. Just get the one you 'like' better and the rest will work itself out. You can always swap out any of these parts between models or modify after at a reasonable cost if you feel you made a horrible choice.

When I see a BRZ perf pack now I say to myself "Hmm... I like that also. I would have been equally as happy if I got that or the one I have now"

You really described my situation
Since I don’t plan tracking or upgrade for performance (Completely fine with the given HP) I think a well kept stock will always be valued by people in the future when I decide to change it for a new model.

That’s being said, I am slowly shifting towards a brz Limited. The negative is that Toyota dealers around Boston carry the gut or TRD while the Subaru deals don’t have much in stock. One reason for my shift is to avoid the little more sound from the trd. Not too much but can be a pain after a while.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:23 AM   #41
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
That's interesting. I spent half my life in Boston and in California now.
Here, the Subaru dealers have tons of the BRZs in any combo you like, but the Toyota dealers have limited inventory. I mean they have lots of the TRD special edition and a handful of automatic 86s, but I actually had to fly to Vegas to find a manual 86 GT. Not that demand was that high, just dealers said Toyota would never send them.

Maybe you should fly out here and do a cross country trip back in your new car?
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:34 AM   #42
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Which ever one has the PP, if they both have PP then the one that cost the least.

Only reason I ended up with my Solar Orange Limited Edition 1 of 60 86 was they couldn't move the Solar Orange LE, I ended up paying the same price that the GTS went for, basically saved about 9k AUD.

It came with the PP.

Funnily enough used 2017 Solar Orange LE are now being advertised for more than I paid for mine.

If I sold my car now, I would make money, LOL.

1 of 60 Solar Orange LE FTW

As for the looks, I like both the BRZ and the 86, I don't like that big wing though, or the TRD stickers.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
BellaItalia (02-21-2019)