follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2014, 12:33 AM   #15
housecat
Computer Scientist

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkv476 View Post
When I run A/C and the compressor kicks in at idle the RPMs will dip a little and it does make the feeling of engine lugging. I believe it's completely normal, it's just spinning up the compressor from a dead stop at idle RPMs where there's little available torque. If you want to see if that's what's causing your exact noise, warm up the car fully (so the RPMs will idle normally since they idle higher when cold), park, and hit the A/C switch and turn the temp all the way down to force the compressor on. See if that replicates your sound.
I haven't yet been able to witness the RPMs dip when the compressor kicks in (my eyes are usually on the road not the tachometer whenever I hear the rattle), nor have I been able to purposefully cause the rattling sound by switching on the A/C while in idle. Maybe it will help if I turn the thermostat down to LO before I turn the A/C off, wait a while and let the car warm up, and then turn it back on while in idle. I've never heard the rattle while idling at a dead stop though, it only happens around 5 to 35mph. Sometimes its loud, sometimes it is very quiet or barely audible.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:11 AM   #16
housecat
Computer Scientist

Garage
The rattling noise appears to be normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninedice View Post
Mine does this as well. I read somewhere else on the forum that it's the flywheel rattling when the RPMs drop too low. I asked on the scion site if it will damage the flywheel but no response yet.
I found the thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12429

I'm ashamed I didn't find it before posting my own thread, but I did try searching the forums before posting.

Here is a video from that thread that shows the exact same noise that I am experiencing, and it also shows that the tachometer needle DOES drop to about 600rpm and jumps back to 700rpm when the rattle stops.
http://s421.photobucket.com/user/whs..._1331.mp4.html

After reading through all 5 pages of the thread, most people are blaming either the direct injection system, lightweight flywheel, throw-out bearing, gear box, or just harmonic oscillations for the chattering noise.

Furthermore, there is no solution to this noise yet and we probably don't need to be concerned about the noise. As long as we keep telling dealers that we are experiencing this noise, I think the word will get to Subaru/Toyota and they might give us an answer. For the meanwhile, the chattering noise seems to be completely normal, happens to most if not all BRZ/FRS's, and most likely will not damage our cars.

Thanks everybody for your responses.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:45 AM   #17
extrashaky

Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by housecat View Post
I've been driving stick for 6 years and I always thought it saved gas by going into neutral instead of leaving the car in gear. But now that I think about it, if the car is in gear while rolling, then the rolling of the wheels is what keeps the engine revving and perhaps this uses zero gas.
During engine braking the computer cuts the fuel supply. When just idling (which is what happens when you're coasting in neutral) the computer has to feed fuel to the engine to keep it running. I have my doubts that it really saves you enough fuel to make any significant difference though.

That's not why some of us downshift. A performance car actually handles differently when it's in gear. When coasting out of gear, I don't feel like I have complete control of the car, nor am I or the car ready for unexpected situations that might require immediate maneuvering. Take your car to an empty parking lot and try slinging it around a bit in gear and then while coasting, and you'll feel the difference.

There are also some good arguments regarding the way gears wear that support engine braking. If you're always applying power to gear teeth from the same direction, they can wear unevenly. Engine braking evens out the wear pattern so that the teeth last longer and bite better, or so the argument goes.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
housecat (08-14-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #18
fantah

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I have this as well. Its Engine cutting off fuel. Happens even after my OFT stage 1 reflash.
fantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:32 AM   #19
housecat
Computer Scientist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
During engine braking the computer cuts the fuel supply. When just idling (which is what happens when you're coasting in neutral) the computer has to feed fuel to the engine to keep it running. I have my doubts that it really saves you enough fuel to make any significant difference though.

That's not why some of us downshift. A performance car actually handles differently when it's in gear. When coasting out of gear, I don't feel like I have complete control of the car, nor am I or the car ready for unexpected situations that might require immediate maneuvering. Take your car to an empty parking lot and try slinging it around a bit in gear and then while coasting, and you'll feel the difference.

There are also some good arguments regarding the way gears wear that support engine braking. If you're always applying power to gear teeth from the same direction, they can wear unevenly. Engine braking evens out the wear pattern so that the teeth last longer and bite better, or so the argument goes.
I agree that the mpg difference between coasting in gear and in neutral is
insignificant. Tools might read about 300mpg for neutral and 9999mpg for in-gear, however, idling in neutral might only consume one gallon per hour. And the time I spent coasting in neutral was not very much, only a few seconds before every stop. So maybe coasting in neutral might cost only $15 to $20 extra in gasoline for an entire year.

That's an interesting point you made about gear wear, I never knew about that. Some people believe that leaving the car in gear while coasting may slightly increase wear on the engine (instead of wearing on brake pads in neutral), which would make coasting in neutral a better choice. But the extra wear on the engine is probably next to nothing.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:19 AM   #20
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for posting. I believe I made a thread asking the same question but it was disregarded. I'm surprised not everyone has noticed this yet as I hear it often, especially when I'm coming to a stop from a downhill and I put it in neutral a bit earlier. Seems like a 10% chance in these situations.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #21
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So stop putting it in neutral from 30-40 mph.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #22
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by housecat View Post

That's an interesting point you made about gear wear, I never knew about that. Some people believe that leaving the car in gear while coasting may slightly increase wear on the engine (instead of wearing on brake pads in neutral), which would make coasting in neutral a better choice. But the extra wear on the engine is probably next to nothing.
When coasting in neutral at any speed you have taken your car and turned it into a big, heavy (relatively),expensive (again relatively) soap box racer!
As soap box racers are not generally know for their handling, speed (other then down hill) or ability to avoid sudden changes in the driving situation or conditions you are usually better off to have the car engaged in the appropriate gear at all times. I know that accelerating quickly or a sudden swerve under power has saved my butt as many, or more times, then hammering on the brakes and if I was coasting in neutral those times I would have been screwed.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #23
Moskoi

Drives: Subaru BRZ 6MT WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mine does this as well, only when the AC is on.
The rpm get's so low, the daytime running light turn off sometimes. I saw this happening several times in the reflection of the car in front of me.
It's just annoying, as long as it does not stall...
Moskoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, flapping, idle, noise, rattle