follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 09-23-2015, 07:42 PM   #1
goshem

Drives: 16' WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smog check for out of state people?

Quick question for you all. I just recently moved to California from Michigan and was wondering if I still need to get my car smogged even though it's less than 4 years old for a new registration? The website doesn't specify exactly, and all it says is that for newer vehicles less than 4 years old you are exempt and pay a "abatement" fee.
goshem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #2
Drakelee117

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yes you do.

Smog the car, take the paperwork to a registration agency and they will do the rest. In my case, I had to pay the difference in tax among other fees which was more than 1k in total(You won't need it if the car is 1 year or older).
Drakelee117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #3
ExxelDistributions

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Monogram Series
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
no matter what year or mileage the car is. if you want to register a out of state car here in CA you need to get a smog
ExxelDistributions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshem View Post
Quick question for you all. I just recently moved to California from Michigan and was wondering if I still need to get my car smogged even though it's less than 4 years old for a new registration? The website doesn't specify exactly, and all it says is that for newer vehicles less than 4 years old you are exempt and pay a "abatement" fee.
The website does specify:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1d...es/howto/htvr9

Quote:
What Do I Need to Register My Nonresident Vehicle?

An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form (PDF) signed by all registered owners shown on the out-of-state registration or title. Complete both sides of the REG 343 available at www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg343.pdf.
The last issued out-of-state title (not required when there is no change of registered owner). However, when an out-of-state title is not surrendered to DMV the California registration card is marked "Nontransferable" and a California title is not issued.
The last issued out-of-state registration certificate or renewal notice for the current year, or a letter, fax, or wire from the last registration jurisdiction verifying the registered owners name(s) and the vehicle's last registration expiration date.
A Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form (PDF) completed by an authorized DMV employee, law enforcement officer, or licensed vehicle verifier (no charge for vehicle verification at DMV offices). The REG 31 is available at www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg31.pdf.
Commercial motor vehicles (vehicles designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property or used or maintained for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit) that weigh:
Over 6,001 pounds unladen (empty) require a Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGW) (REG 4008) form (PDF), available at www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg4008.pdf. For more information, see the Registering Commercial Vehicles and PTI Trailers (FFVR 27)Fast Facts brochure at www.dmv.ca.gov/commercial/cvra.htm.
10,000 pounds or less unladen also require a California public weighmaster's certificate. To find a public scale, check your telephone directory or visit the California Department of Food and Agriculture website at www.cdfa.ca.gov/dms/publicscales/.
A weighmaster's certificate is not required for:
Autos (unless registered as commercial vehicles).
Motorcycles.
Trailers.
Commercial vehicles:
If a prior California registration shows the unladen weight, and the vehicle's weight has not been altered.
With an unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less when the out-of-state title or registration shows empty, unladen, scale, tare, or WT/Wheels weight.
Two or three-axle trucks weighing 10,001 pounds or more. The estimated weight must be entered on the REG 343.
Trailers (except trailer coaches or park trailers) require:
A Statement of Facts (REG 256) form (PDF) with the estimated weight of the trailer stated in Section G. The REG 256 is available at www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.pdf.
To request a title for the trailer, a Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) Application/Certification (REG 4017) form (PDF) with side A completed. The REG 4017 is available at www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg4017.pdf.

A smog certification from a California smog station is required for the following vehicles:
Gasoline powered-1976 and newer year models (motorcycles are exempt).
Diesel powered-1998 and newer year models that have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) under 14,001 pounds (diesel hybrids included).
Natural gas or propane powered that have a GVWR under 14,001 pounds.
For a list of smog exempt vehicles and further smog information see www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm.

The out-of-state license plates; however, you may keep the license plates if they are:
Expired.
Required to be returned to the state they were issued from.
For an interstate-registered vehicle (maintaining full registration in California and another state).
Appropriate fees and any use tax due.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:20 PM   #5
ramiram1984

Drives: 2016 STi DGM
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
$68 dollars to renew my registration in WA for 2014 brz.

It'll be about $300 here in CA.

CA loves ripping Residents off!

Anyways, yes, you have to as stated above post & DMV link.