follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #10501
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
Fan wasn't the problem I took off the filter and fan was running. However it didn't emit the beeps or show the voltage. I took the controller apart and cleaned the filter/fan out. Re-wired everything and so far today it's worked the entire time I've been driving cross your fingers

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Maybe you should take the controller apart and look for anomalies like Aztec did.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #10502
Eturbo

Drives: 1994 Honda Del Sol
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys,

I figured I'd chime in here although I understand that it could be the equivalent of sticking my head in a hornets nest lol

I am the owner of Eturbo and we are working on a similar product to Rob. We're by no means big and I would consider our company to be in the Seed Stage, but we're slowly ramping up to create a kickstarter by the end of the year which will ultimately lead to production.

Our goal is to create an electric supercharger that is capable of feeding LS based engines as well as smaller displacement engines. In about two weeks we will be putting a corvette on the Dyno with our unit installed to prove that Electric superchargers can indeed feed larger displacement engines as well as smaller displacement engines. We've already tested our unit on a 1994 Honda Del Sol and a 1994 Honda Accord. Both platforms showed gains in WHP. You can check out the videos and dyno graphs on our site: Eturbo.io.

To be honest, I've reached out to Rob a couple of times in the past and to try to get him to work together with us but things never seemed to work out. This is relevant because one of the things that I would have helped him with is manufacturing and handling the business side of things on my end on top of sharing design ideas to improve a singular product instead of becoming competitors.

With that said, Our product is a bit different than Robs because we started this project with a different goal in mind. We wanted to create a power adder that had absolutely no parasitic draw on the vehicle. We also wanted a product that was capable of supplying enough air to small 4 cylinder vehicles as well as large 8 cylinder vehicles. This meant that we needed a standalone system capable of supplying enough current/voltage to meaningful and worthwhile results.

We ended up with a separate standalone 48V battery pack and an electric motor that runs on 250A continuous and 500A peak @ 75,000 RPM. We've created a completely custom compressor wheel that tailors to low boost applications as well as water cooling to prevent the ESC and Motor from getting too hot. The largest pain in the rear about this system is the obvious question of "If it's a standalone system, how does it recharge?" As of now you'd have to plug up to a wall outlet but you do get 5 minutes of straight WOT run time which is equivalent to about 20 - 14 second track passes so this may be more Track oriented than DD. Our way of rationalizing the needing to charge is by comparing it to a nitrous bottle. When you run out, you just have to plug up and recharge vs having to go out and buy another bottle.

This post is getting too long now but I will end with saying that we have sourced manufacturers and they are ready to supply units at mass quantities when we're ready. While we still want to test in more vehicles (we're located in Beavercreek, OH if one of you guys want to see what our units can do) we're confident that we've proven our unit works.

Turning off my business persona now because I am human after all lol--- I love performance and I love what these electric superchargers can do. Even if I don't sell a single one I'd still run them on my vehicles I have a passion for innovation and invention and this project seriously is what I would consider one of my most fun and exciting inventions.
Eturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eturbo For This Useful Post:
Photomikes garage (09-07-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #10503
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturbo View Post
Hey guys,

I figured I'd chime in here although I understand that it could be the equivalent of sticking my head in a hornets nest lol

I am the owner of Eturbo and we are working on a similar product to Rob. We're by no means big and I would consider our company to be in the Seed Stage, but we're slowly ramping up to create a kickstarter by the end of the year which will ultimately lead to production.

Our goal is to create an electric supercharger that is capable of feeding LS based engines as well as smaller displacement engines. In about two weeks we will be putting a corvette on the Dyno with our unit installed to prove that Electric superchargers can indeed feed larger displacement engines as well as smaller displacement engines. We've already tested our unit on a 1994 Honda Del Sol and a 1994 Honda Accord. Both platforms showed gains in WHP. You can check out the videos and dyno graphs on our site: Eturbo.io.

To be honest, I've reached out to Rob a couple of times in the past and to try to get him to work together with us but things never seemed to work out. This is relevant because one of the things that I would have helped him with is manufacturing and handling the business side of things on my end on top of sharing design ideas to improve a singular product instead of becoming competitors.

With that said, Our product is a bit different than Robs because we started this project with a different goal in mind. We wanted to create a power adder that had absolutely no parasitic draw on the vehicle. We also wanted a product that was capable of supplying enough air to small 4 cylinder vehicles as well as large 8 cylinder vehicles. This meant that we needed a standalone system capable of supplying enough current/voltage to meaningful and worthwhile results.

We ended up with a separate standalone 48V battery pack and an electric motor that runs on 250A continuous and 500A peak @ 75,000 RPM. We've created a completely custom compressor wheel that tailors to low boost applications as well as water cooling to prevent the ESC and Motor from getting too hot. The largest pain in the rear about this system is the obvious question of "If it's a standalone system, how does it recharge?" As of now you'd have to plug up to a wall outlet but you do get 5 minutes of straight WOT run time which is equivalent to about 20 - 14 second track passes so this may be more Track oriented than DD. Our way of rationalizing the needing to charge is by comparing it to a nitrous bottle. When you run out, you just have to plug up and recharge vs having to go out and buy another bottle.

This post is getting too long now but I will end with saying that we have sourced manufacturers and they are ready to supply units at mass quantities when we're ready. While we still want to test in more vehicles (we're located in Beavercreek, OH if one of you guys want to see what our units can do) we're confident that we've proven our unit works.

Turning off my business persona now because I am human after all lol--- I love performance and I love what these electric superchargers can do. Even if I don't sell a single one I'd still run them on my vehicles I have a passion for innovation and invention and this project seriously is what I would consider one of my most fun and exciting inventions.

Please PM me. Would love to compare this to the phantom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #10504
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturbo View Post
Hey guys,

I'm curious if you control boost level, or just let it run wide open like the phantom. With it being more powerful than the phantom, I can see an increased chance of over boost at low rpm's causing the engine to lock. I have experienced this on the phantom at sub 2200 rpm. But if you are supplying enough air to boost a larger displacement engine up to redline, I could see easily overwhelming a smaller motor. Plus I don't see any power drop off at higher rpms, though the torque does seem to follow a constant downward slope.

On a random note, It may take another 5 years or more, but I am excited to how the battery innovation progresses, with solid state batteries in the works, aluminum air, etc.. If we can double the capacity, and halve the weight of current battery tech.. well I'll just say that my first goal will be to have an electric jetpack.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:59 PM   #10505
Eturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
I'm curious if you control boost level, or just let it run wide open like the phantom. With it being more powerful than the phantom, I can see an increased chance of over boost at low rpm's causing the engine to lock. I have experienced this on the phantom at sub 2200 rpm. But if you are supplying enough air to boost a larger displacement engine up to redline, I could see easily overwhelming a smaller motor. Plus I don't see any power drop off at higher rpms, though the torque does seem to follow a constant downward slope.
This is definitely something we're planning for in the long run. With that said, this will probably be a version 2 / version 3 kind of thing where we include tuning software on the Eturbo. The way we envision this working is by tapping the distributor and calculating RPM. Once we know the RPM's you would be able to go into the tuning software and set X power at X rpm at X throttle.

However.. you most definitely can do this now with advanced EMS software. Instead of connecting to the TPS, you can connect the Eturbo to a signal cable from an aftermarket EMS such as Hondata V3 (I know not applicable to the car type on this forum), and set the parameters on the EMS to send a signal to the Eturbo whenever X conditions are met.

(To Answer your question, we don't control boost. It's full blast like the phantom although we didn't see any bogging down on the Del Sol at 2800 RPM. This is definitely something to look out for though. The Del Sol made 9 - 10 PSI at the 2800 RPM and it tapered down to 5. Some (not all) of the tapering can be blamed on a leak between the motor and the back plate which should be fixed in our next run.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
On a random note, It may take another 5 years or more, but I am excited to how the battery innovation progresses, with solid state batteries in the works, aluminum air, etc.. If we can double the capacity, and halve the weight of current battery tech.. well I'll just say that my first goal will be to have an electric jetpack.
Yep! In the meantime, we found an excellent source of lithium Ion batteries

Our 48V Battery cell only weighs about 20lbs and carries 156 Samsung 25R cells (12 series 13 parallel) and the price isn't too bad at large quantities. We have this battery pack currently installed in the Del Sol!!

I'm hoping that in the future, battery tech will get cheaper with increased capacity. Thanks to Tesla and a lot of EV tech, this will soon be the future that's for sure!
The Following User Says Thank You to Eturbo For This Useful Post:
Target70 (08-14-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #10506
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'd rather see this tech going .. actually "e-turbo" way . As in - instead of more capable batteries, kit extended with added turbine-electric-generator in exhaust to charge up in addition to normal charging / to recuperate exhaust gas energy.
All the pros of what phantom kit does + "free" charging from energy otherwise dumped from exhaust.
And as there is only electric linkage, not mechanical, it can be placed anywhere in exhaust path, wherever it's simpler to mount it, unlike classic turbo which needs to be close to compressor and adds difficulties, if there is little space under bonnet, to make for turbo application custom exhaust.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:24 PM   #10507
Carsnguitars

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Maybe you should take the controller apart and look for anomalies like Aztec did.
Yes, I have opened up the controller and had a look. I have not found anything obvious, like something burnt or disconnected. I don't have any background in electronics and am not confident in probing too much further there. The unit has run with the test switch that is in the controller but never with footswitch. Mine is the V2 with the 2 stage footswitch. From what I understand, the controller sends out a 5v signal, and depending on what it sees coming back, either 0, 2.5v, or 5 v the controller activates the motor. Either off, half or full speed. The footswitch itself checks out. The PC680 batteries are new, but had them checked also. They are good. It would seem the controller is not reading the return signal from the footswitch. I am currently looking for someone with some solid electronics experience to have a look. That's why I asked about the diagram. I don't remember what it was, and I wouldn't expect Rob to have given too much detail, but thought it would be helpful to anyone willing to inspect the unit.
Carsnguitars is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carsnguitars For This Useful Post:
Aztec (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 09:55 PM   #10508
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsnguitars View Post
Yes, I have opened up the controller and had a look. I have not found anything obvious, like something burnt or disconnected. I don't have any background in electronics and am not confident in probing too much further there. The unit has run with the test switch that is in the controller but never with footswitch. Mine is the V2 with the 2 stage footswitch. From what I understand, the controller sends out a 5v signal, and depending on what it sees coming back, either 0, 2.5v, or 5 v the controller activates the motor. Either off, half or full speed. The footswitch itself checks out. The PC680 batteries are new, but had them checked also. They are good. It would seem the controller is not reading the return signal from the footswitch. I am currently looking for someone with some solid electronics experience to have a look. That's why I asked about the diagram. I don't remember what it was, and I wouldn't expect Rob to have given too much detail, but thought it would be helpful to anyone willing to inspect the unit.
Time to buy a procede controller if your voltage gauge is working your controller and batteries are probably fine. However I would check the connection cable from the foot switch to the controller make sure no shorts or burns etc. I bet that's it tbh.

I'm using the procede and its way better

Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:39 PM   #10509
Gums

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Time to buy a procede controller
I'm using the procede and its way better
For me the Procede (running a KeenAs modified version of one of the Sojhinn tunes) transforms Rob's ESC platform.

The aspect I like best is how the car never bogs down.

Imagine Eturbo system would benefit as well.
Gums is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gums For This Useful Post:
Aztec (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 11:48 PM   #10510
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gums View Post
For me the Procede (running a KeenAs modified version of one of the Sojhinn tunes) transforms Rob's ESC platform.

The aspect I like best is how the car never bogs down.

Imagine Eturbo system would benefit as well.
I'm running one of sojhinns procede maps but what is this KeenAs things you speak of

Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aztec For This Useful Post:
Gums (08-14-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 11:56 PM   #10511
Carsnguitars

That was my thought earlier, but I feel I have eliminated the footswitch as the problem. I have continuity on all conductors through the full length of each wire to their termination points inside the footswitch (ie: the terminals on the backside of the TRS jack). Within the footswitch itself there are two microswitches, a resistor, and a potentiometer. I have metered each of the microswitches for their normally open, normally closed functions and they are as they should be. I have metered the 5kohm pot and see correct values there, including seeing the value change while turning the screw (wiper). The resistor measures at correct value (as given by Steve G). With my ohm meter I can measure values change at each click of the footswitch. By all indications it seems to check out. I am interested in the proceed, but would like to have a functioning unit before I invest further.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:09 AM   #10512
Carsnguitars

Quote:
Time to buy a procede controller if your voltage gauge is working your controller and batteries are probably fine. However I would check the connection cable from the foot switch to the controller make sure no shorts or burns etc. I bet that's it tbh.

My above post is in response to the above quote....
Old 08-14-2017, 01:26 AM   #10513
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsnguitars View Post
That was my thought earlier, but I feel I have eliminated the footswitch as the problem. I have continuity on all conductors through the full length of each wire to their termination points inside the footswitch (ie: the terminals on the backside of the TRS jack). Within the footswitch itself there are two microswitches, a resistor, and a potentiometer. I have metered each of the microswitches for their normally open, normally closed functions and they are as they should be. I have metered the 5kohm pot and see correct values there, including seeing the value change while turning the screw (wiper). The resistor measures at correct value (as given by Steve G). With my ohm meter I can measure values change at each click of the footswitch. By all indications it seems to check out. I am interested in the proceed, but would like to have a functioning unit before I invest further.

I have a procede if you want to try it. But I don't have a wiring whip for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #10514
Eturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
I'd rather see this tech going .. actually "e-turbo" way . As in - instead of more capable batteries, kit extended with added turbine-electric-generator in exhaust to charge up in addition to normal charging / to recuperate exhaust gas energy.
All the pros of what phantom kit does + "free" charging from energy otherwise dumped from exhaust.
And as there is only electric linkage, not mechanical, it can be placed anywhere in exhaust path, wherever it's simpler to mount it, unlike classic turbo which needs to be close to compressor and adds difficulties, if there is little space under bonnet, to make for turbo application custom exhaust.
This will probably be my last post on this specific thread out of respect for Rob and his product (I just wanted to bring awareness that there is another company working on a similar concept.)

When we made our runs in the Dyno, we discovered that the compressor wheel spun freely when the car was running under regular conditions. This led us to look in to ESC's with Regen braking. There is the possibility to integrate ESC Regen braking technology with Eturbo and have the free spinning wheel from regular driving trickle charge the battery.

This is one of the things we will be looking at and still have to test to determine feasibility so it most likely will be a V2/V3 kind of thing. It is entirely possible that the friction from the Regen braking might be too much to allow the wheel to spin freely like it does now. Needles to say.. we won't know until we test it out!!

Shoot us a message if you want to talk to us about our product outside of this thread.

Thanks guys!

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive