follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #1135
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
My review of my Vortech experience will be coming up soon now as well. Which will be a LOT more positive haha!
Time for the tough question. Are you sticking with Vortech for your new build? Perhaps the upgraded blower? Wastegated setup? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #1136
reyruiz191

Drives: 2013 FRS Vortech Supercharged
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendogy View Post
Could someone do a write-up on the revisions to the Vortech kit that have occurred since its release?

I am pretty sure they changed their impeller? and maybe a pulley?

I'm not sure. It's tough to evaluate the Vortech kit when I don't know what issues have been resolved, and which power numbers are outdated.

Also, a listing of currently available upgrades (pulleys etc) and whether or not they void Vortech warranty would be great. Thanks!

If this information has already been compiled elsewhere, then a point in the right direction would be appreciated

You can probably start here, this thread has info on some builds as well as links to build threads, some of it might not be as current as far as mods and power but theres some good info in there.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34703
Old 01-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #1137
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Time for the tough question. Are you sticking with Vortech for your new build? Perhaps the upgraded blower? Wastegated setup? Inquiring minds want to know.
I was going to do the race upgrade. But now that ecutek is open and I can make custom maps I can get "creative". I am building a forged high compression motor and grabbing a smallish turbo on a new upcoming kit and going to see how I like it compared to my supercharger setup. Although its hard to pull through after tuning a locals supercharged setup, i miss this setup!!! But I want to give both a try
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #1138
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Coldest start yet, -3*F
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
Amadeus (01-27-2014), Brian@Vortech (01-27-2014), nelsmar (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #1139
Brian@Vortech

Drives: Vortech Supercharged M6 FR-S UM
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just quickly off the top of my head, here are the changes made since SEMA 2012. Sorry that I won't be able to include precise dates on all of the upgrades. I could estimate on the ones I don't know for sure but I'd rather not in case I am incorrect.

1) SEMA 2012 - Initial release, V-3 H67BC system - 6psi Boost for 86's! Much rejoicing!

2) March/April 2013 - H67B Upgrade (9psi). All Systems (Complete Systems and Tuner Kits) automatically changed to include the higher output H67B compressor. All previously purchased system owners are offered a free compressor upgrade from the H67BC to the H67B. More boost = more fun (and more POWAAA!) There was much frivolity.

3) May/June 2013 - Wiring harness added to system at no extra charge, replaces need for manually extending wiring harness. Install becomes easier, and there was lots of high fiving.

4) June/July 2013 - In response to some issues with idler pulley and belt contact, idler pulley changed to steel idler from composite, and shorter belt now included with systems. A small amount of rejoicing (I think one or 2 people shouted "YAY!", but that's about it).

5) June/July 2013 - Discharge Tube D is replaced from a hand-welded tube to a cast tube (sometimes referred to as the notched tube). A lot of people have asked why we changed it when we did, and why the notch was added at that time. In all honesty, it takes months to get molds and tooling made, and sometimes they have to be remade and refined before they can be put into production. It took that long for it to be right. The notch is much easier to include into a casting than it would be to hand fabricate. Plus, it only really became necessary when one of our International Dealers asked for the additional clearance so that they could run a larger pulley for less boost with the H67B. Not wanting to bring back the H67BC compressor for 1 customer, a notch on the tube seemed a good compromise. Plus, it seems people appreciated the extra clearance...so general cheerfulness all around.

6) July 2013 - Heavy Duty (H/D) V-2 Engine Oil Fed System released - for those looking for a system designed for competition level racing, or those wanting to go bananas with their setups...this is your kit. Designed with the capability to be spun well beyond the limits of the V-3 unit, the maximum output of the H/D V-2 H67B has never been reached on an 86 to this day. With several people putting down numbers approaching 400WHP with the regular V-3, and with thousands of additional impeller rpm to play with on the H/D V-2...how far can the H/D V-2 unit go...? I suppose only time will tell.

August 2013 - Maxflow Race BOV Upgrade released for FR-S/BRZ systems. An optional upgrade for those that want a louder discharge sound between shifts. The traditional "Blow-Off" sound we all know and love. Some embraced it, others stayed happy with the valve they already had.

September 2013 - Maxflow Race BOV heavier spring option. The Race BOV was too loud for some, so a heavier spring was optioned to keep the volume down to a more enjoyable level.

January 2014 - What would YOU like to see either added, or optioned for the Vortech Supercharging Systems for the FR-S & BRZ?

Last edited by Brian@Vortech; 01-27-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Brian@Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brian@Vortech For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-27-2014), DJCarbine (01-27-2014), ft86me (01-27-2014), jack43 (01-27-2014), JordanInnovations (02-27-2014), normancw (02-06-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #1140
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@Vortech View Post
Just quickly off the top of my head, here are the changes made since SEMA 2012. Sorry that I won't be able to include precise dates on all of the upgrades. I could estimate on the ones I don't know for sure but I'd rather not in case I am incorrect.

1) SEMA 2012 - Initial release, V-3 H67BC system - 6psi Boost for 86's! Much rejoicing!

2) March/April 2013 - H67B Upgrade (9psi). All Systems (Complete Systems and Tuner Kits) automatically changed to include the higher output H67B compressor. All previously purchased system owners are offered a free compressor upgrade from the H67BC to the H67B. More boost = more fun (and more POWAAA!) There was much frivolity.

3) May/June 2013 - Wiring harness added to system at no extra charge, replaces need for manually extending wiring harness. Install becomes easier, and there was lots of high fiving.

4) June/July 2013 - In response to some issues with idler pulley and belt contact, idler pulley changed to steel idler from composite, and shorter belt now included with systems. A small amount of rejoicing (I think one or 2 people shouted "YAY!", but that's about it).

5) June/July 2013 - Discharge Tube D is replaced from a hand-welded tube to a cast tube (sometimes referred to as the notched tube). A lot of people have asked why we changed it when we did, and why the notch was added at that time. In all honesty, it takes months to get molds and tooling made, and sometimes they have to be remade and refined before they can be put into production. It took that long for it to be right. The notch is much easier to include into a casting than it would be to hand fabricate. Plus, it only really became necessary when one of our International Dealers asked for the additional clearance so that they could run a larger pulley for less boost with the H67B. Not wanting to bring back the H67BC compressor for 1 customer, a notch on the tube seemed a good compromise. Plus, it seems people appreciated the extra clearance...so general cheerfulness all around.

6) July 2013 - Heavy Duty (H/D) V-2 Engine Oil Fed System released - for those looking for a system designed for competition level racing, or those wanting to go bananas with their setups...this is your kit. Designed with the capability to be spun well beyond the limits of the V-3 unit, the maximum output of the H/D V-2 H67B has never been reached on an 86 to this day. With several people putting down numbers approaching 400WHP with the regular V-3, and with 13,000 additional impeller rpm to play with on the H/D V-2...how far can the H/D V-2 unit go...? I suppose only time will tell.

August 2013 - Maxflow Race BOV Upgrade released for FR-S/BRZ systems. An optional upgrade for those that want a louder discharge sound between shifts. The traditional "Blow-Off" sound we all know and love. Some embraced it, others stayed happy with the valve they already had.

September 2013 - Maxflow Race BOV heavier spring option. The Race BOV was too loud for some, so a heavier spring was optioned to keep the volume down to a more enjoyable level.

January 2014 - What would YOU like to see either added, or optioned for the Vortech Supercharging Systems for the FR-S & BRZ?
Awesome timeline, I didn't even know that the idler pulley issue was addressed! This should make for a reliable well documented SC kit!

Can you order a vortech kit with a smaller pulley (still keeping within the supercharger maximum impeller speed) and retain the warranty?
In other words can you install a smaller pulley before shipping the supercharger so that the warranty cap is factory installed and retained?
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #1141
JerryMichaels7

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Were is the information on that v2 option??
Old 01-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #1142
tendogy

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
First of all, thanks for the write-up. There's definitely stuff in there I was clueless about even after reading through all the threads that have been linked here recently (plus the entirety of this thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
Can you order a vortech kit with a smaller pulley (still keeping within the supercharger maximum impeller speed) and retain the warranty?
In other words can you install a smaller pulley before shipping the supercharger so that the warranty cap is factory installed and retained?
I was just about to ask this same thing! It's well-and-good for Vortech to say that they are leaving power on the table to let users upgrade with pulleys and what-not, but if Vortech is unwilling to stand behind their blower and offer a warranty up to its rated RPM limit, then I'm unwilling to drive behind it.

A factory option would be fine, or even an over-priced mail-in service where the consumer ships the stock blower and Vortech replaces the pulley and re-applies a warranty cap. As it stands, the Vortech blower needs a smaller pulley to meet my power goals, but having a fresh non-warrantied blower under my hood is out of the question.
tendogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #1143
Brian@Vortech

Quote:
First of all, thanks for the write-up. There's definitely stuff in there I was clueless about even after reading through all the threads that have been linked here recently (plus the entirety of this thread).

I was just about to ask this same thing! It's well-and-good for Vortech to say that they are leaving power on the table to let users upgrade with pulleys and what-not, but if Vortech is unwilling to stand behind their blower and offer a warranty up to its rated RPM limit, then I'm unwilling to drive behind it.

A factory option would be fine, or even an over-priced mail-in service where the consumer ships the stock blower and Vortech replaces the pulley and re-applies a warranty cap. As it stands, the Vortech blower needs a smaller pulley to meet my power goals, but having a fresh non-warrantied blower under my hood is out of the question.
OK, let's talk warranty.

The 1 Year, unlimited mile warranty that comes automatically on the supercharger stays intact regardless of whether the warranty cap is there or not. The only things that will void the warranty outright are situations of neglect, improper usage, or being overspun (beyond max impeller speed, which on the V-3 H67B is 52,000rpm).

The warranty cap only comes into the equation on the supercharger warranty if the customer decides to pay the extra $50.00 for the 3-Year extended warranty. If you know you are gong to swap pulleys, just opt out of paying for the extended warranty when you send in your warranty registration card. You still are covered for 12 months and unlimited mileage regardless, cap or not...but breaking the cap limits you to that 1 year.

The part I have not directly addressed is the "warranty void of cap removed" printed on the cap itself. I admit, this can be confusing, but it is a direct reference to our optional 3 year, 36,000 mile powertrain warranty that is available through our Top Tier Installers. That text being printed there was one of the requirements from the secondary insurance carrier for this warranty. That powertrain warranty requires the pulley on the compressor to remain the same for the life of the warranty, as well as utilizing our factory canned tune. Since most everyone installs their own 86 kits, they haven't really been eligible for this warranty, and it has almost never come up. Some information on the powertrain warranty is available HERE.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brian@Vortech For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-27-2014), JordanInnovations (02-27-2014), nelsmar (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #1144
tendogy

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Oh wow, so to get the 3-year warranty you have to pay $50 extra and get the CARB kit and have it installed at a licensed shop.

And unless you've done all that, the warranty cap is meaningless. Huh.

In some ways that is better than I thought, and in other ways it is worse haha

Thanks for back-to-back posts full of amazing information!
tendogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #1145
Brian@Vortech

Quote:
Oh wow, so to get the 3-year warranty you have to pay $50 extra and get the CARB kit and have it installed at a licensed shop.

And unless you've done all that, the warranty cap is meaningless. Huh.

In some ways that is better than I thought, and in other ways it is worse haha

Thanks for back-to-back posts full of amazing information!
Thanks! However, I don't think I explained it well enough. I'll try again.

Automatic Supercharger Warranty - 1 Year, unlimited mileage. Only voided in situations of improper use or overspun compressor.

3 Year Supercharger Extended Warranty
- Optional, and can be purchased for $50 when you send in your warranty registration card. Will be reduced back to 1 Year if purchased and warranty cap is removed.

3/36 3 Year, 36,000 Mile Powertrain Warranty - Completely separate from your supercharger warranty, this optional warranty is designed to mirror your vehicle's factory powertrain warranty, and covers the engine and transmission on your vehicle during the warranty period. This warranty was designed mainly for New Car Dealerships who sell and install Vortech Systems. This warranty is also available through all Vortech Top Tier Installers, but the system must be purchased through that dealer, installed by that dealer, and the 3/36 warranty must also be purchased along with the supercharging system. Being that nearly all 86 owners install their own systems, it really has never applied to these kits. We have sold lots of this type of warranty for Chevy/GM, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, and Ford applications, as we have many of those Dealerships who often sell and install our systems on brand new vehicles.

I hope I did a better job of explaining it that time. I definitely see how it can be confusing.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #1146
jack43

Drives: Sterling Silver BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@Vortech View Post

6) July 2013 - Heavy Duty (H/D) V-2 Engine Oil Fed System released - for those looking for a system designed for competition level racing, or those wanting to go bananas with their setups...this is your kit. Designed with the capability to be spun well beyond the limits of the V-3 unit, the maximum output of the H/D V-2 H67B has never been reached on an 86 to this day. With several people putting down numbers approaching 400WHP with the regular V-3, and with 13,000 additional impeller rpm to play with on the H/D V-2...how far can the H/D V-2 unit go?

I'm curious here too.

Has anyone used the new oil-fed blower with a smaller pulley than 2.87" What smaller sizes do you sell?

I am tempted.. but wonder what options there are when I can't get E85.
jack43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #1147
Brian@Vortech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMichaels7 View Post
Were is the information on that v2 option??
What would you like to know? It can be purchased in a Tuner Kit if you do not already have a Vortech System, or as an upgrade for an existing V-3 compressor if someone already has our V-3 kit installed.

The H/D V-2 oil fed system is designed specifically around the idea of competition level racing, however would also apply for anyone who wants to go beyond the horsepower capability of the existing V-3 system. The H/D V-2 H67B compressor replaces the entire transmission side of the compressor, and includes heavy duty internals (bearings, seals, gears, etc.), which allows the unit to not only withstand extended, hardcore competition-level track duty, but also allows the unit to be spun well beyond the impeller speed limitations of the V-3, for a power output capability so far unseen on a supercharged FA20.

For those looking to purchase a Tuner Kit with the H/D V-2, the part number is 4TF218-124, and can be purchased directly through Vortech, or through any of our Dealers & Distributors.

For those who already have the V-3 system and want to upgrade, contact our service department, and they will fill you in on what is required and quote you pricing, and then you send in your existing unit, we upgrade it with all H/D V-2 parts, and return it to you, along with the oil feed and drain lines. Install the new parts and upgraded compressor, and off you go!
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian@Vortech For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 06:06 PM   #1148
nelsmar

Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack43 View Post
I'm curious here too.

Has anyone used the new oil-fed blower with a smaller pulley than 2.87" What smaller sizes do you sell?

I am tempted.. but wonder what options there are when I can't get E85.
If you are wanting more boost I would advise removing the front cat again, and if possible install a wastegate for flex fuel and have a tuner configure a racerom map to regulate the boost pressure. I haven't tested this and I don't know how well perrin's was working but it should be "good enough" to help out on flex fuel I would think.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
jack43 (01-27-2014)