follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
TSY

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Kenwood CMOS-210 Backup Camera Install

Thanks to everyone to posted on how to install a backup camera- made my install MUCH EASIER!!!

Most of how to do this has already been posted. I got the pass through harness from SVXdc- Thanks David! He was quite helpful with my questions about the install.

I thought I'd post some pics for those who are interested.

Kenwood CMOS-210:
Nicely made. Aluminum body. made in Japan. No parking lines and the image is reversed, so it's just plug and play. The RCA connector and power wires come off the combined harness at the same location at the HU end of the harness, so my plans to power the camera from the back of the car would not work.

So I used a posi-tap to tap into the HU 12v ACC wire. The camera comes with an in-line 2amp fuse.

Then just ran the harness wire to the back of the car and installed it like everyone else. I made a very small round notch in the trunk fascia for the wire to pass through. Kind of hard to see.

Pics of the camera from the back of the car.

Screen shot during the day and night. The picture is quite bright at night and it's easy to see. Camera quality is of course very good. I set the parking lines to "G 5dr" which other than the up/down settings appear to be right on. What's nice about this camera is I was able to adjust the angle so that it's perfect.

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj498/tomsyang/2013%20BRZ%20Limited%20SWP/Backup%20Camera/s_zps7***b86c.jpg[/IMG]

Pretty simple install. I'd say the hardest part was pulling the camera wire/connector through the rubber sleeve/hose from the trunk lid to the trunk. If I had to do it again I'd lubricate that sleeve with something first! And I would cover the console and shifter with a towel to protect everything as you're trying to pull the radio out. The radio as it's coming out can rest on the shifter knob and I got a little scratch on mine.

Last edited by TSY; 10-28-2012 at 03:28 PM.
TSY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TSY For This Useful Post:
cobrabyte (01-12-2013), kwood9000 (11-28-2012), Sensisnow (04-08-2013), SVXdc (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
SVXdc
Radio wiring harness guru

Drives: 1996 SVX L AWD
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Thanks for posting those pics!

Here are some larger pics of the Kenwood CMOS-210 camera on Sonic Electronix:
(click each image to see a larger version)
SE's product page for the CMOS-210
Old 10-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
inimitable

Drives: SSM 6-MT limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSY View Post
Pretty simple install. I'd say the hardest part was pulling the camera wire/connector through the rubber sleeve/hose from the trunk lid to the trunk. If I had to do it again I'd lubricate that sleeve with something first! And I would cover the console and shifter with a towel to protect everything as you're trying to pull the radio out. The radio as it's coming out can rest on the shifter knob and I got a little scratch on mine.
Thanks a lot for this.

Install looks good. Nice work!

One of these days, I'm gonna do one of these myself...

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
inimitable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to inimitable For This Useful Post:
TSY (10-30-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
developer

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I have the parts and I will be doing the install as soon as dealer gets my GPS fix done, but I have some questions about how you did your install.

Where are you running the cable inside the car from the navigation system to the trunk?

I have looked at my BRZ Limited's trunk lid, I didn't see anywhere to feed the wire from inside the trunk lid to the outside. Did you just drill a small hole from the inside to the outside? If so how did you prevent moisture from getting into the trunk?
developer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
TSY

Garage
I didn't repeat all the steps of the install as others have already done this.

From the trunk fascia when you remove it (Carefully! Don't scratch your trunk!) in the limited there's a wire from the electronic trunk release. It runs through a hole in the center of the trunk lid. There's a grommet that I had to carefully trim (to not cut the wires) and make room for the camera wire to run through. Then you just put the grommet back in. It's tucked way up so I doubt much water will get there to leak. I suppose if you shot a stream of water up at the license plate lights it could leak- but again I doubt it.

If none of this makes sense I'll after you read the writeups some of the other guys have done then just PM me and I'll try to find them for you.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to TSY For This Useful Post:
developer (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
developer

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I searched a little harder this time and found some of the other installs for the BRZ. I have my project for the weekend!

Quote:
I didn't repeat all the steps of the install as others have already done this.

From the trunk fascia when you remove it (Carefully! Don't scratch your trunk!) in the limited there's a wire from the electronic trunk release. It runs through a hole in the center of the trunk lid. There's a grommet that I had to carefully trim (to not cut the wires) and make room for the camera wire to run through. Then you just put the grommet back in. It's tucked way up so I doubt much water will get there to leak. I suppose if you shot a stream of water up at the license plate lights it could leak- but again I doubt it.

If none of this makes sense I'll after you read the writeups some of the other guys have done then just PM me and I'll try to find them for you.

Good luck!
developer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
TSY

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by developer View Post
I searched a little harder this time and found some of the other installs for the BRZ. I have my project for the weekend!

You're welcome! Just set aside 4 hours to do it and take your time.

As for running the wire back from the HU, there are some wires under the driver's side dash that I just zip tied the camera wire to. I ran this down the side to the door sill. If you start from the back of the door sill you can remove it pretty easily. Run the camera wire back with the factory wiring in the door sill and run it back into the trunk and you're set.

Remember, zip ties are your friend. You'll need quite a few of them.
Also, like I said in my post, running the wire through the rubber tube from the trunk lid to the trunk is a real pain! If I had to do it again I'd probably just cut the camera wire and just reconnect everything after passing it through the tube.

It's definitely worth doing and I feel much better about not hitting things when I back up!
The Following User Says Thank You to TSY For This Useful Post:
developer (11-06-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Wow, 4 hours?!?!? I have never spent more than 45 minutes for a full install with soldered connections and run with factory harness. I couldn't imagine it ever taking that long...
Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
Wow, 4 hours?!?!? I have never spent more than 45 minutes for a full install with soldered connections and run with factory harness. I couldn't imagine it ever taking that long...
Taking your time to run wires, tap power, and zip tie everything secure will take at least two hours for the non professsional.. I got a rydeen installed in three hours on a first time install. Love the auto turn on and adjustable arrows..
TSY (11-30-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
chadstyle

Oh trust me I'm familiar with the procedure I've installed hundreds over the years..that's why I was so surprised to hear 4 hours.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
davesrave

Drives: 2014 Boxster S; 2015 Macan S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
Thanks, so in your opinion, how long do you think it would take for a professional to install a backup camera in a BRZ assuming that they have the SVXd cable, the BOGO or Rydeen camera and reasonably good instructions?
davesrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
chadstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesrave View Post
Thanks, so in your opinion, how long do you think it would take for a professional to install a backup camera in a BRZ assuming that they have the SVXd cable, the BOGO or Rydeen camera and reasonably good instructions?
I'd say any decent shop that knows what they're doing shouldn't spend more than 1 hour on the install. Mine is in the factory location, wires ran with the factory harness all the way up to the dash and I used the SVX plug as well to keep it clean. The SVX plug has a 6V DC output that I didn't think would power the 12V rydeen camera I installed but it works perfect at 6V with no issues at all. I've heard that many other 12V cameras work fine with 6V also so don't waste time trying to hint down a 12V ignition feed.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #13
TSY

Garage
@chadstyle

Really??? Wow, you're great.

For those of us who don't install stereos for a living and want everything to be perfect without breaking anything in our new cars, setting aside more time than needed is a good idea. I find when I rush projects mistakes get made and it doesn't turn out perfect.

I never said I took 4 hours to install it. I just said set aside 4 hours. Or get it professionally installed and let them break parts of your car. (yes, it does happen)

Otherwise, for others who might appreciate my install, I will say after several months of using it it's definitely worth it. The picture quality is very very good and the night vision is also really easy to see. Better than a lot of factory backup cameras.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
chadstyle

Quote:
@chadstyle

Really??? Wow, you're great.

For those of us who don't install stereos for a living and want everything to be perfect without breaking anything in our new cars, setting aside more time than needed is a good idea. I find when I rush projects mistakes get made and it doesn't turn out perfect.

I never said I took 4 hours to install it. I just said set aside 4 hours. Or get it professionally installed and let them break parts of your car. (yes, it does happen)

Otherwise, for others who might appreciate my install, I will say after several months of using it it's definitely worth it. The picture quality is very very good and the night vision is also really easy to see. Better than a lot of factory backup cameras.
I'm not knocking you. I'm simply stating how long it takes for someone with experience. I didn't break one single clip or part during the install and it looks as clean as factory the way the wires are routed within the factory harness. I'm pretty sure he asked how long would it take if he had a professional do the job, did he not? I answered that with a realistic time frame so he doesn't get screwed when shopping for the best shop and price.