follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-27-2015, 02:37 PM   #15
veck

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by einrejosh View Post
Thanks, I don't use facebook that much, but i'll give it a look. Around what time do you guys usually meet? I live pretty close to the Tap on Decoto.
7-8ish? Really depends on what time people are available. But it happens every week.
veck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:51 AM   #16
einrejosh

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veck View Post
7-8ish? Really depends on what time people are available. But it happens every week.
Ah, Alright, I'll be sure to roll through and check it out one time.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:47 AM   #17
einrejosh

Just wanted to show the overall set up of the wheels and tires.

Overall, if I weren't concerned about looks, I wouldn't be running this set up. I would if I had more power, but since I am mainly stock, its just too wide, heavy, slow, etc. But its not all bad. I don't rub at all, it looks very appealing, cornering confidence went up due to more grip, and it still weighs as much as stock. If I had a choice I'd probably run 17x8's and run 235/45 or 225/45. Steering sensitivity is reduced and feels sluggish (even though I don't really notice it unless I'm going low speeds). Also if i were running extreme summer tires, it would be too much tire and grip(maybe wrong word or term) for the car.

So do I like my 17x9.5 +38 RPF1's hell yeah. There are goods and bads for this size wheel and tire combo, but its my car, why hate it(or in this case, want to change it). The tires I'm running, 245/40-17 Yokohama YK580's, need some help warming up. When I leave my house I look like a idiot or drunk driver by warming them up Formula 1 style, but its all good. Here's some pics!

Front Tire Fitment

Comparison of widths

Weight of OEM Wheels + Tire

Weight of RPF1 and Tire

I should weight the wheels alone, but I'm sure google can solve that for you!

Thanks for checking me out !
Old 06-25-2015, 02:08 AM   #18
einrejosh

MORE POWER!

Okay guys so this is where we get less show and more go First off, like everyone else who's stock/NA or wants to get power whilst NA this is something you should look into. The information I have retained and learned were from other forum members and other FRS owners who have experience on their car(s).

So, first off, When you think of gaining power NA, first thing that comes to mind is Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Tune. This is fairly common in any situation. The order I am going to go into is Headers, Tune, Exhaust, then intake.

Don't have to read this just more Info below
*Also please note there are other ways to gain horsepower than just the ones I mentioned (e.g. Stiffer/lighter drive line so you lose less power when being transferred to the rear wheels; weight reduction; stiffer *enter component here* to deliver power more efficiently to the wheels; etc)
*Another thing to note, something you will see pop up whenever you look up "How to gain more power NA" is this saying right here. THERE'S NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT which is why they make 2.1 stroker kits designed to increase our displacement.

Okay lets get on with this.

Headers: First off, I'd like to thank Mark, a fellow member here who sold his Open Flash Header (OFH) to me for $400. So back to the topic. This header is light, forgot the weight exactly but you can find it in the forums and the weight of the original header w/ heat shield. (Roughly 9lbs for OFH and 20lbs for OEM Headers; WEIGHT REDUCTION RIGHT THERE BRO!!) Okay, so there are multiple headers out there, EL and UEL its all preference and aesthetics to the ears. EL you supposedly gain more wHP, while UEL gains more low-end torque. Personally I don't know this much in depth on this topic but I know enough. Also, tuners and others have said that the best balance of HP and Torque is a UEL.

This header in particular caught my eye for many reasons.
1) Affordability, this will cost you about 600$ new if you don't own an OFT and 500$ if you do, and maybe less if you find a used one locally.
2) Weight, no cats mean less weight, and less weight means more power, it sheds off like 10lbs off OEM
3) Quality, build quality is solid, welds are tight enough to not worry, and fitment is close to perfect
4) Power, With the right tune you go from 161wHP to 190wHP
5) Sound, now you sound like that neighborhood WRX that always passes by
*there are more, but this is what comes to mind.

Overall I really like this header, sounds like a Subie I don't know what else to say. And with this STG 2 E85 tune, I literally have torque on demand.

Tuning!: Okay, I'm no tuner but I know something good when I see it. Open Flash Tablet or OFT for short, is something everyone should invest on. This thing holds your stock tune/file/rom bit for bit, no signature or something that'll leave a mark. Holds another 5 tunes, and you can re-flash where ever whenever in less than 5 minutes. Another good thing about this if you don't wanna flash your car because you're scared of warranty, is that you can use it as a Data Logger or Live Display of multiple shit. Literally, I'm over here monitoring mt STFT, LTFT, Throttle %, FKLC, AFR, Oil Temp, Coolant Temp, you name it. Check out their site whenever, and they're local to Northern CA.

So what tune am I running right this moment. Right now I'm running the STG 2 UEL E85 tune. Their dyno sheets shows this should be putting me around 204 wHP, which is roughly around the lines of 255 ish HP to the crank. Literally, this is the best thing that you can get for only $1000 or less if you buy second hand. Overall, if you don't plan of going turbo, buy this. Only down side is that no primary cat, and if you're like me, and also have a catless front pipe, you'll smell like burnt gasoline. Which was why I tried the E85 so I can smell less bad. (not the only reason but one of them)

Exhaust: Uhh, TBH you'd prolly only get less than 10 or 15 hp from this. *This, meaning an whole exhaust system. Unless you're going straight pipe everything, no cats, no resonators, single exit, titanium, and all that, it doesn't really matter, unless you wanna shoot flames of course (which is possible by editing tunes VIA RomRaider with OFT's OTS tunes). Because once you do that stuff, you would be heard 5 blocks over, and pulling tickets here and there because racecar. Personally, just get something that looks nice and something that sounds nice.

Intake: Drop-in air filter, doesn't matter which one, but that's it. 50$ compared to 300$ is a big difference for a small difference in HP. (I like that sentence right there). Talked to people, it's more worth it to just get a upgraded filter than to get a intake system. Only difference in HP is probably around only 3 HP Spend your saved up money else where.

Overall, the power now is a lot nicer than stock. When I drive like I'm on a drag strip, I can easily chirp (break traction) 2nd and 3rd gear no problem.

Open Flash Headers

Recently hit 20k, tranny/differential fluid flush soon

Went togueing Skyline in Palo Alto with a buddy

Updated pics of the car:

Old 04-10-2016, 11:29 PM   #19
sdwagonjp

Drives: 2015 Fr-s Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Your car looks really nice without the rear portion of the kit. I almost considered not getting it, but it was not much more.
sdwagonjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:33 PM   #20
einrejosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwagonjp View Post
Your car looks really nice without the rear portion of the kit. I almost considered not getting it, but it was not much more.

Yeah, I didn't have much money saved up, and I was only planning on getting the front lip. But the guy from vivid racing took off a couple bucks and I looked up photos and the front lip doesn't look too well without the side skirts. I'm running rear aprons on the rear, it's just nice and subtle
Old 04-10-2016, 11:40 PM   #21
sdwagonjp

Drives: 2015 Fr-s Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by einrejosh View Post
Yeah, I didn't have much money saved up, and I was only planning on getting the front lip. But the guy from vivid racing took off a couple bucks and I looked up photos and the front lip doesn't look too well without the side skirts. I'm running rear aprons on the rear, it's just nice and subtle
Did you run into any issues? How long did it take you? Still debating if I want to do it outside in my port, or drive to folks house and install in their garage.
sdwagonjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:55 PM   #22
einrejosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwagonjp View Post
Did you run into any issues? How long did it take you? Still debating if I want to do it outside in my port, or drive to folks house and install in their garage.

It took me about an hour and a half to 2 hours. If your cars dirty maybe a little longer. I took off my front bumper to make it easier for me, but I'm sure you can skip that step. And make sure you use masking or painters tape to mark where the edges are of the side skirt and lip so you know where to apply the 'adhesive prep.' If you miss and the spot you wipe is still exposed it'll attract dust and dirt to that spot no matter how much you wash.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #23
datnatebear

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Did you recently open up your headlights and blackout/yellow them? I've always wanted to do something similar but looks difficult.

Instagram: datnatebear
datnatebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #24
einrejosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by datnatebear View Post
Did you recently open up your headlights and blackout/yellow them? I've always wanted to do something similar but looks difficult.

Yeah I did actually. It was my first time doing them. I bought a second used set so I don't mess up my oem ones.

But as for difficulty, you just need to know how to remove your bumper, have a ratchet with a extension and some sockets.

And the next step would be to removed all screws on the back of the headlight, removed rubber grommets and stuff.

Bake it in the over at 200 degrees F for 15 minutes. Then pry it open. Remove three more screws then paint. Then go back in reverse order, bake again for 10 minutes, use a clamp or vise to seal everything up then done.

It took me about and hour and a half to two hours per headlight, for removal, paint, baking and putting everything back in.

Sorry I said a lot. But as for difficulty it was like a 6/10 cause it was my first time opening headlights and spray painting anything.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #25
datnatebear

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Thats pretty dope though! Nice job. I catch myself always checking out your car coming and going from class lol

Instagram: datnatebear
datnatebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:50 PM   #26
einrejosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by datnatebear View Post
Thats pretty dope though! Nice job. I catch myself always checking out your car coming and going from class lol

Thanks man. Yesterday I just installed Stoptech stainless steel braided lines and Motul RBF600 DOT4 brake fluid.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #27
einrejosh

Updates

Parking lot at work

Second set of headlights

My groups "Glo-up" from high school to now

Reflashed to e85 again

Randoms

Test fit of duckbill a couple months back