follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2020, 07:37 AM   #1
AldoRaine

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oil Coolers

Hey guys,

So I致e ordered a turbo kit and I知 in need of an oil cooler.
I see that MAPerformance sells an oil cooler (19 row MOCAL core) for $460. I知 wondering how quality this one is seeing as most oil coolers for this car are at least $600, I知 deciding if I知 gonna go with the JDL cooler (Setrab core) or the MA cooler.

Anyone weigh in here on the quality of the MA cooler? I live in Eastern North Carolina so it does get hot and humid in the summer. I知 only daily driving the car, occasional spirited driving, no track. Just wanna make sure I知 safe.
AldoRaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:42 AM   #2
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,600 Times in 2,936 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldoRaine View Post
Hey guys,

So I致e ordered a turbo kit and I知 in need of an oil cooler.
I see that MAPerformance sells an oil cooler (19 row MOCAL core) for $460. I知 wondering how quality this one is seeing as most oil coolers for this car are at least $600, I知 deciding if I知 gonna go with the JDL cooler (Setrab core) or the MA cooler.

Anyone weigh in here on the quality of the MA cooler? I live in Eastern North Carolina so it does get hot and humid in the summer. I知 only daily driving the car, occasional spirited driving, no track. Just wanna make sure I知 safe.
Get this instead:
https://www.ft86speedfactory.com/jac...2013-ft86.html

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
the new guy

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FR-S/2018 Thunder GT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
It’s a quality kit; the reason the kit is cheaper compared to others is it’s been made in bulk by purchasing the separate components and passing on the cost savings to you. I see the price at $430 right now with their site offering a 10% off code.

See the maximal performance kit as another example https://maximalperformance.com/produ...ler-kit-setrab

The one thing to note about these coolers and any cooler that mounts to the plastic undertray is the risk of an off track incident ripping the tray/cooler off.

If you’re not tracking the car you’d be fine with the OEM cooler
The Following User Says Thank You to the new guy For This Useful Post:
AldoRaine (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 11:26 AM   #4
AldoRaine

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The price at $430 is for the 13 row cooler, I’d be down to pay $460 for the 19 row cooler. Seems like a no brainer.
AldoRaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:10 PM   #5
AKITA

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldoRaine View Post
Hey guys,

So I’ve ordered a turbo kit and I’m in need of an oil cooler.
I see that MAPerformance sells an oil cooler (19 row MOCAL core) for $460. I’m wondering how quality this one is seeing as most oil coolers for this car are at least $600, I’m deciding if I’m gonna go with the JDL cooler (Setrab core) or the MA cooler.

Anyone weigh in here on the quality of the MA cooler? I live in Eastern North Carolina so it does get hot and humid in the summer. I’m only daily driving the car, occasional spirited driving, no track. Just wanna make sure I’m safe.
It looks like the Maperformance is cheaper because it comes with unfinished hoses. Makes it flexible but some might not want to have to do that assembly. Putting AN fittings on can be a pain and you have to do two hoses. (and if you get it wrong you might have a mess on your hands) I doubt it comes with any other mounting hardware than the bolts to mount it to the plastic fascia. But again if you are trying to mount it to passenger side the custom length hosing would help accomplish that. The JR combo is certainly good for NA and I think it would be fine for their super charging platform in mild form. Not sure how well it is for a turbo charged application, which is why I'm not going to go the JR combo route myself.

I like the JR sandwich plate, and I'm gonna try the separate JR cooler with supercharger mounting to get it between the rad and intercooler. It might not work but I'm gonna try that first I think. If it works, it certainly better than mounting in front of the intercooler. I like the JDL cooler too and considered it and still am considering it.
AKITA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AKITA For This Useful Post:
AldoRaine (05-31-2020)