follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2016, 12:51 AM   #29
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Why always import better than US version?
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:40 AM   #30
Tech

Drives: White MT GT86 with TRD extras
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sky View Post
Why always import better than US version?

Each country seems to offer slightly different versions and I believe it has something to do with a particular countries road and emission laws. For example, there appears to be a law in the USA that tail pipes are not allowed to protrude beyond the rear bumper, in case someone burns their leg on it or something dumb like that. This makes the exhaust look a bit tame IMHO. We have no such law here and our pipes would protrude a good inch from the bumper and looks much better.

We have a base model 86 and a GT86 which is not too dissimilar to the US FRS and that is mainly what is on the roads over here.

The TRD version when it came out was originally only available in Japan and NZ. The UK followed with their (similar) version later. Even Australia which is a bigger market than NZ did not have TRD as an option.

So I think it must come down to the decision of, Toyota NZ in our case and Scion in the US in your case as to what will be offered to the market.

If all of the above is wrong, then I don't know, but I'm glad we were one of the lucky ones to get what we did.
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tech For This Useful Post:
FR-Sky (04-16-2016), nzer (04-16-2016), ZionsWrath (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 05:49 AM   #31
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
sick car and love that lift
Old 04-16-2016, 06:05 AM   #32
Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
sick car and love that lift
Yeah, it has it's downside though.

With it, you can access just about anything. So I end up buying stuff because I can generally fit it.

Otherwise I probably wouldn't bother as I would think...nah too hard lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech For This Useful Post:
Metabrz (04-19-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 08:58 AM   #33
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post

Each country seems to offer slightly different versions and I believe it has something to do with a particular countries road and emission laws. For example, there appears to be a law in the USA that tail pipes are not allowed to protrude beyond the rear bumper, in case someone burns their leg on it or something dumb like that. This makes the exhaust look a bit tame IMHO. We have no such law here and our pipes would protrude a good inch from the bumper and looks much better.

We have a base model 86 and a GT86 which is not too dissimilar to the US FRS and that is mainly what is on the roads over here.

The TRD version when it came out was originally only available in Japan and NZ. The UK followed with their (similar) version later. Even Australia which is a bigger market than NZ did not have TRD as an option.

So I think it must come down to the decision of, Toyota NZ in our case and Scion in the US in your case as to what will be offered to the market.

If all of the above is wrong, then I don't know, but I'm glad we were one of the lucky ones to get what we did.
the special one that we have is that 10 series, and yuzu, but it doesnt looks good compare with the nur spec =[
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:40 PM   #34
Tech

I've added a signature to my future posts.
Basically, it's a link to a list of DIY threads that I have started (bar a couple) Hopefully people will find them useful or at least interesting reading.
Upgrading the rear speakers to make them useful, is missing, but I might redo it one day.

Whenever I create a new DIY thread, I will update the list with a link so it is always current.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:25 AM   #35
Spec C Wannabe

Drives: 2017 WRB M/T BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Final Drive Ratio

Hi Tech, What a dedication, attention to detail and perfectionist you are! I admire you from afar.

I have some questions for you on the 4.55 Final Drive LSD.

Does it make much different in terms of acceleration? How much more fun is it to drive when compared to the standard final drive diff?
Spec C Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #36
Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec C Wannabe View Post
Hi Tech, What a dedication, attention to detail and perfectionist you are! I admire you from afar.

I have some questions for you on the 4.55 Final Drive LSD.

Does it make much different in terms of acceleration? How much more fun is it to drive when compared to the standard final drive diff?
Not sure if the same is true for other markets, but our manual 86's come with a LSD just to clear up any confusion.

Is it more fun to drive? Not really. I think the 86 is already fun to drive in any spec.

The thing I did notice is more acceleration in 3rd and 4th gears with the 4.55. With the OEM ratio there were certain corners on track where I found 2nd was too low and 3rd was too high to get a good exit speed. With the 4.55 it makes 3rd just right. I prefer it over the 4.1 OEM drive which I still have in the GT86 so I can continue to compare one against the other.

For open road driving you will find that you are pulling slightly higher revs in 6th gear (about 300RPM) and I thought that might drink more fuel. Interestingly enough I recently did a road trip to the South Island (some 750kM each way) with a friend @nzer who has an official TRD86 as well. He has the OEM 4.1 final drive which he prefers after trying out a 4.55.

We both started with full tanks and then we both refueled at the same time and surprisingly we found mine took around 6 or 7 litres less. TBH I can't remember the exact amount, but it was something like that. Whether this is down to tuning or not, I don't know.

One side effect of changing the final drive is if you use the gear indicator on the speedo cluster. 4th gear and upwards will read one gear lower than what you are actually in. This can be adjusted in an ECUTEK tune like mine, but otherwise you will have to live with it or turn it off.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:17 PM   #37
Spec C Wannabe

Drives: 2017 WRB M/T BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
Not sure if the same is true for other markets, but our manual 86's come with a LSD just to clear up any confusion.

Is it more fun to drive? Not really. I think the 86 is already fun to drive in any spec.

The thing I did notice is more acceleration in 3rd and 4th gears with the 4.55. With the OEM ratio there were certain corners on track where I found 2nd was too low and 3rd was too high to get a good exit speed. With the 4.55 it makes 3rd just right. I prefer it over the 4.1 OEM drive which I still have in the GT86 so I can continue to compare one against the other.

For open road driving you will find that you are pulling slightly higher revs in 6th gear (about 300RPM) and I thought that might drink more fuel. Interestingly enough I recently did a road trip to the South Island (some 750kM each way) with a friend @nzer who has an official TRD86 as well. He has the OEM 4.1 final drive which he prefers after trying out a 4.55.

We both started with full tanks and then we both refueled at the same time and surprisingly we found mine took around 6 or 7 litres less. TBH I can't remember the exact amount, but it was something like that. Whether this is down to tuning or not, I don't know.

One side effect of changing the final drive is if you use the gear indicator on the speedo cluster. 4th gear and upwards will read one gear lower than what you are actually in. This can be adjusted in an ECUTEK tune like mine, but otherwise you will have to live with it or turn it off.

Thank you very much for your sharing your experience.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my question. What I meant is the difference between 4.55 VS 4.1 final drive ratio, not the presence of LSD since the M/T comes with the LSD anyway.

What I interested is the difference in terms of acceleration 4.55 VS 4.1, which you already provided the comments abobve.

Quite a surprise though that it seems like you (and your friend you mentioned above) are not really impressed with the difference compared to other reviews I have read (for example from Racecomp Engineering and other users in here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27647

but anyway, to each his own....

Last edited by Spec C Wannabe; 04-18-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Spec C Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:56 PM   #38
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec C Wannabe View Post
Thank you very much for your sharing your experience.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my question. What I meant is the difference between 4.55 VS 4.1 final drive ratio, not the presence of LSD since the M/T comes with the LSD anyway.

What I interested is the difference in terms of acceleration 4.55 VS 4.1, which you already provided the comments abobve.

Quite a surprise though that it seems like you (and your friend you mentioned above) are not really impressed with the difference compared to other reviews I have read (for example from Racecomp Engineering and other users in here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27647

but anyway, to each his own....
As mentioned by @Tech I changed to the 4.556 final drive and have since changed back.

I found that with the changed final drive I was actually slower around my local track. The reason being it created four more gear changes (two up and two down) and with me not being a heel-toe driver the gear changes were not offset by the increased acceleration. I also found that the top speed on the straights suffered a little.

So, for me on my home track I am better off with the 4.1 drive with the fewer gear changes.

Last edited by nzer; 04-19-2016 at 04:32 AM.
nzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:24 AM   #39
Metabrz
001 of 012

Drives: MY12 NZDM Subaru BRZ "BRZ001"
Garage
Great thread Pete!! Love your dedication.
Tech (04-19-2016)
Old 09-03-2017, 05:52 AM   #40
Tech

So it's been over a year since I posted anything in this car journal. Not much has changed with 33, but the plain white GT86 I also owned has now been sold and replaced with a brand new 2017 GT86. Only had it about 6 weeks and the following documents the journey thus far....
Old 09-03-2017, 06:00 AM   #41
Tech

Here is the new one right out of the dealerships showroom.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2017, 06:05 AM   #42
Tech

We have a choice here on the interior styling. The standard black interior with silver stitching or black interior with red trim and red stiching. There is no extra charge for this option, so that is what I ordered.

I think it looks nicer than all black.
The standard GT86 here in NZ is equivenlent to the BRZ limited edition that is available in the USA (so I believe)