follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-23-2016, 05:44 AM   #1
vf34

Drives: FT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No Key Icon on Dash! Cannot start car!

Hi All

**Help please**

I suffered a problem with my manual Blackline/GTS 86 (AUS). I attempted and successfully swapped out the clutch helper spring but now I don't get the Key icon on the dash so I cannot start the engine or place it in acc. Battery is not flat, interior lights, hazards and external lights work ok anything relating to press to start button onwards will not work. The fob key/remote battery are not flat either.

I thought I may have killed the clutch assembly switch, there are 2 of them on the pedal and have just swapped them out with new ones, still cannot get a key icon on the dash so still can't start.

I'm now thinking I may have killed something relating to the canbus system, when I disassembled the clutch pedal I had to release the wiring cable to the clutch assembly switches, however I did not disconnect the battery when I started the clutch spring swap. I've come to this conclusion as I have checked all the fuses, under dash and engine bay, and they are all fine.

So at this stage I'm now curious as to what the problem could be now???

Thoughts.

Thanks.

Nick
vf34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:14 AM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Have you disconnected the battery at all? If no then try that and things may reset.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
This is really strange as the helper spring is not connected electrically to the vehicle so I don't see how this would cause any kind of fault unless you damaged something electrical in the process of changing it (not accusing; just speculating).

Considering you have to push the clutch in to start the vehicle, it could be something related to the switches you changed not reading that the clutch is depressed, and therefore not allowing you to start the car because it thinks the clutch is still "out". That being said, I would think in that scenario you wouldn't get a key icon, as it wouldn't really be related to the key itself...

Next thought would be; is your key battery dead or perhaps low?

Last thought: might depend on where in the car the key is. I have found in the past that sometimes when I leave my vehicle while it's running, and leave the key in the centre console (cup holder or the cubby in front of it), upon getting back into the car and closing my door, the car will beep as if the key is not in the vehicle, and will flash the icon on the dash. I have to then hold the key up close to the dashboard for the key sensor to be able to read it, and it goes away. Seems like there's a "dead spot" in the very centre of the car that the key sensor can't reach?

(Disclaimer; I only do this at home and would never exit my vehicle while it's running and leave the keys in it anywhere else)

Good luck and I hope you figure it out.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
vf34

Tcoat - Yep done the battery disconnect over night and charged it up at the same time. Battery charger was showing a near fully charged battery.

Slvrsrfr - 1. Yeah swapping out the spring wasn't that difficult however not as easy as the left hand drive 86's. I wasn't sure if I had damaged the original switches hence i purchase 2 new switches for the clutch assembly, still no change. 2. The remote battery appears to be fine as both fobs show a red light when the lock unlock buttons are depressed. Car was purchased in Feb this year so I wouldn't think battery to remote would be too old. 3. Fob range I have experienced that getting out of the car with my keys to unlock our gate, the car beeps when the fob is out of range.

I've red the manual in relation to the keyless start however most situations still show a key icon on the dash but perhaps a yellow key icon as opposed to green. However I got nothing.

Anyway i have a Toyota tech to perform my 9 month service and to check out the key issue before making a call to get it towed to a service center.

I'll keep this post updated so everyone knows what happens next.
The Following User Says Thank You to vf34 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 10:55 PM   #5
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
does the key icon blink while in the car? the key icon should have a steady light when the clutch is depressed. if the key icon blinks and isn't steady with the clutch depressed, then it definitely has something to do with your clutch switches. hopefully the dealership finds out what the problem is and doesn't charge you an arm and leg to fix it
Old 11-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
vf34

Hey Ryoma

As I wrote in the subject heading "I got nothing" no key icon at all. The only icon I get on the dash is a door open light and that's only when I have the door open same with lights and hazards...only when activated.

As you said "hopefully the dealership finds out what the problem is and doesn't charge you an arm and leg to fix it", fingers crossed.

Nick
Old 11-27-2016, 11:51 PM   #7
vf34

Crisis averted. Issue related to a fuse. The fuse in question is located in the engine compartment #27 (AM2 NO.2) 7.5A "Smart Entry & Start System" and of course "Smart Entry & Start System" is not written on the underside of the fuse cover so you would never relate to this fuse as the cause of the problem...unless you check the manual to get the fuse description.

So if you have a Smart Entry key/fob, and the display is not showing a blinking Security Indicator then check for this fuse.

Thanks for the replies.

Nick
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vf34 For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (03-07-2017), Ultramaroon (11-27-2016)