follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #561
2much
I wanna go fast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnbeast86 View Post
So I can go uel or el and just buy an oft to tune it obviously wouldn't have to do much else
Yes. The tablet comes with a library of tune files, including UEL and EL options.
2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:16 PM   #562
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much View Post
Yes. The tablet comes with a library of tune files, including UEL and EL options.
Full disclosure: The UEL OTS tunes are mapped specifically for the OFH (naturally). Other UEL headers with different runner lengths, collector design, pipe diameter, will work adequately with the OTS mapping. But additional custom tuning is required to work as well as the OTS maps work with the OFH.

Similarly, the EL OTS maps were mapped specifically for an EL version of the OFH we tested last year. Other EL headers may not see the same results from the tune.

To give you an idea of how dialed-in the OTS maps are for our hardware, I don't expect more than a 3-4hp gain through any amount of custom tuning.

Cheers
shiv
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
Aztec (04-10-2015), Bader (04-04-2015), flippy (04-15-2015), givemeporknow (04-04-2015), Wepeel (04-04-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #563
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Shiv:.. hmm, EL ver of the OFH. As it's not something purchaseable, just prototype, maybe worth to update OTS to other very common EL headers that may have come through your tuning shop? Otherwise it felt a bit wierd, when i stumbled upon few posts showing EL header gaining more with UEL OTS tune then with EL one. After all, available OTS tunes also make up part of value for OFT as complete product, no?
Or there are plans to release OFH EL in future for those that wish max perf gain over UEL burble?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:01 PM   #564
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
Not trying to pick a fight, but since you don't even know what coating was used, I'm surprised you know so much about its characteristics.
Nothing to be surprised about, I just did some research.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:11 PM   #565
givemeporknow

Drives: 2015 brz series.blue wr blue pearl
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just got done installing mine... The install was real easy and the new sound is just awesome! I also went ahead and loaded the stage 2 uel 91 tune and it definitely pulls harder throughout the power band. No CEL either! Thanks OpenFlash!!!
Old 04-04-2015, 11:30 PM   #566
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by givemeporknow View Post
Just got done installing mine... The install was real easy and the new sound is just awesome! I also went ahead and loaded the stage 2 uel 91 tune and it definitely pulls harder throughout the power band. No CEL either! Thanks OpenFlash!!!
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:08 AM   #567
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Just wanted to chime in as well! Just installed my open flash header today as well, no exhaust leaks. Initially had 2 CEL codes but realized I forgot to plug the cable from the 02 sensors back in,
popped the hood, cleared codes with tablet and good to go!!
I'm loving it, now I just need the ESC
Thanks @Shiv@Openflash
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:17 PM   #568
2much
I wanna go fast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
@Phantobe @JB86'd

Do either guys have any problem sharing your modified 91 tune files? disclaimer/no liability of course. A01C US 6MT here.

@Shiv@Openflash

Have you considered toning down your stage 2 91 octane OTS map? It looks like a lot of us socal'ers have knock in the mid rev ranges. I know the ECU is doing its thing and protecting the engine, I hate the fact that eventually my timing will fall down to .6 multiplier though. engine seems to be performing at less than par with poor fuel mileage.
2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #569
JB86'd

Drives: JAWS
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much View Post
@Phantobe @JB86'd

Do either guys have any problem sharing your modified 91 tune files? disclaimer/no liability of course. A01C US 6MT here.

@Shiv@Openflash

Have you considered toning down your stage 2 91 octane OTS map? It looks like a lot of us socal'ers have knock in the mid rev ranges. I know the ECU is doing its thing and protecting the engine, I hate the fact that eventually my timing will fall down to .6 multiplier though. engine seems to be performing at less than par with poor fuel mileage.
I'm B01C so I don't think you could use them directly, but I could send it to you to compare if you'd like?
Old 04-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #570
brzcountsright

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
happy with mine!

I ordered the OFT/OFH combo the same day I ordered my 2015 BRZ. I got the tablet right away, but the header only showed up the day before the car did. At 200 miles I installed the header in my driveway. The only real trouble I had was that one bolt on the driver's side exhaust manifold that ends up between the header and manifold. I never did find a way to get my torque wrench on it, so I hope I tightened it enough.

I struggled with getting the OFT to work in VMware on my Mac, so I finally used my work (Win7) laptop, today, to load the Stage 2 91octane tune.

I thought the effect might be subtle; it wasn't subtle at all! I'm really amazed how much difference it made! My last three fun cars have been '94 and '99 Integra GS-Rs and a 2001 RSX Type S. I loved how those engines revved so quick and easy. I figured I'd just have to accept that the Subaru engine doesn't like to rev. The header/tune combination completely transformed the BRZ's character. It unquestionably pulls much harder in the midrange, and because it revs so much easier, it's much easer to be smooth shifting up or down.

I think you guys on this site have undersold the effect of UEL headers and a tune! I knew it would make things better, but I really didn't understand how much better.

[edit]BTW: I'm running the OFH UEL headers with the stock exhaust--I was looking for mid-range power, not more noise. It's definitely louder in the car, now. At steady cruise and highway speeds, it's barely noticeable, but it sounds like a medium-loud WRX in the car when you're really on the gas. From outside, the cold start is quite a bit louder, but not enough the neighbors will complain. And if I take it easy driving out of the neighborhood, I don't believe anyone would even notice it wasn't stock.

Last edited by brzcountsright; 04-15-2015 at 03:57 PM. Reason: add more detail
brzcountsright is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to brzcountsright For This Useful Post:
Apoc (04-15-2015), Cross (04-15-2015), flippy (04-15-2015), fritzburg (08-27-2015), MightyMeeple (04-15-2015), Mr.Impreza (10-23-2015), Robert@Openflash (04-22-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #571
MightyMeeple
Slower than Fast

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzcountsright View Post
I ordered the OFT/OFH combo the same day I ordered my 2015 BRZ. I got the tablet right away, but the header only showed up the day before the car did. At 200 miles I installed the header in my driveway. The only real trouble I had was that one bolt on the driver's side exhaust manifold that ends up between the header and manifold. I never did find a way to get my torque wrench on it, so I hope I tightened it enough.

I struggled with getting the OFT to work in VMware on my Mac, so I finally used my work (Win7) laptop, today, to load the Stage 2 91octane tune.

I thought the effect might be subtle; it wasn't subtle at all! I'm really amazed how much difference it made! My last three fun cars have been '94 and '99 Integra GS-Rs and a 2001 RSX Type S. I loved how those engines revved so quick and easy. I figured I'd just have to accept that the Subaru engine doesn't like to rev. The header/tune combination completely transformed the BRZ's character. It unquestionably pulls much harder in the midrange, and because it revs so much easier, it's much easer to be smooth shifting up or down.

I think you guys on this site have undersold the effect of UEL headers and a tune! I knew it would make things better, but I really didn't understand how much better.
Thanks for sharing....your experience continues to validate my future plans for my car. I'm waiting for warranty to end (only a few more months now), and I'm still on the fence to go either OFH or speedfactory's catted header. I need to research my state's emissions regs as well.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #572
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMeeple View Post
Thanks for sharing....your experience continues to validate my future plans for my car. I'm waiting for warranty to end (only a few more months now), and I'm still on the fence to go either OFH or speedfactory's catted header. I need to research my state's emissions regs as well.

You really only need to find out the testing standards.

Sine technically, Federal Law makes it illegal to tamper with emissions equipment.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:06 PM   #573
cameronjones239

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series Blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I have a greddy evo gt 3" catback, do you guys think this header would make my setup too obnoxiously loud? Currently has a nice deep tone that's not over the top. Seems everything I have found it's not a whole lot louder than stock. Went with the catback first with plans of skipping the header and going straight to FI. Now plans are changing a little and may run a header for this summer/fall/winter and go turbo come spring next year.. Any input is appreciated.
cameronjones239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #574
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronjones239 View Post
I have a greddy evo gt 3" catback, do you guys think this header would make my setup too obnoxiously loud? Currently has a nice deep tone that's not over the top. Seems everything I have found it's not a whole lot louder than stock. Went with the catback first with plans of skipping the header and going straight to FI. Now plans are changing a little and may run a header for this summer/fall/winter and go turbo come spring next year.. Any input is appreciated.
That's the problem of getting a catback first, you're kinda fucked if you want to add a header on later. I have the UEL OFH right now and from what I've read and heard it'll make your current setup 1.5-2x louder.

The gains are worth adding a header, but you might be better off swapping your exhaust for something slightly quieter.
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote