follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2012, 02:17 AM   #1
digital_assassin

Drives: 2013 FR-S Matte Orange
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clear bra removal. Any one try it?

The port installed a f*ing ugly rear bumper aplique and the hood and fender clear bra also. Bumper is free of the clear bra stuff. I've never had it but I hate the bumper thing and the hood will look like ish over time unless I take a tooth brush to the seam on the hood and fender. I want to remove it. Anyone ever taken this stuff off? I've removed door edge protectors with ease. Bagged shitty tint jobs an removed those too. I am clueless on the clear bra material. Seems like the tint removal method wouldn't work. I may have a tint shop install a 3M clear bra on the full front end clip so this may be something they can remove. Please let me know what to do here if anyone has experience in the matter.
digital_assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #2
86_ZN6

Drives: 86 ZN6
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,222 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
heat it up with a heat gun then pull hard! very easy to remove
86_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
If youre getting the clear bra redone, have the shop pull it off so you dont risk getting a chip on the already protected areas.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
ZILLA
BRZ #575

Drives: 2013 BRZ #575
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I assume it would be heat it and pull?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysLtydtk8H8"]Removing Clear Paint Protection Film by DECALFX.COM - YouTube[/ame]
BRZ #575 SWP Limited
18x8" Drag DR-31 +48 | 235/40/18 | 6000K HID Low/High | Wrapped All Red Tail Lights | Rear Fog + Brake Light Combo Mod [Video]
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
digital_assassin

It's off now. Looks much better and was easy to do. No heat, just pulled slowly. Couple small spots of adhesive stuck but they rubbed off. Waxed the car again and you can't tell anything was ever on her.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
EvoXDD
Trident Motorsports Owner

Drives: DGM. DD for my EvoX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
not sure if it is because the dealer clear bra sucks, but taking this off is just dumb (at least on subies because our paint chips SO easy
EvoXDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
civicdrivr

The Scion clear bra does have a lot of orange peel and is very noticeable, but if you get it done by a local installer using other films, chances are you'd be hard pressed to know theres a clear bra on it. At least thats the case with mine. You can only see the lines if you look hard enough, and there is minimal orange peel.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
digital_assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoXDD View Post
not sure if it is because the dealer clear bra sucks, but taking this off is just dumb (at least on subies because our paint chips SO easy
What is it going to do for the car? There is nothing on the front bumper and only about 16" on the hood and a small amount on the fenders. Bumper will get trashed and upper hood will get trashed with a small strip of pristine paint. It would like like dog poo in a year or two. If they would have done the whole hood that may be a different story but this car is so low and exposed on the front it doesn't stand a chance anyway. I bet we will be getting rock chips just above the windshield too.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
EvoXDD
Trident Motorsports Owner

Drives: DGM. DD for my EvoX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
on my evo i did entire front end, on these cars, you just need:

bumper
pull cups
LIGHTS (CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!)
fender
and 100% optional but not needed is the trunk flat part (forget what they call it)
Old 07-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
civicdrivr

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_assassin View Post
What is it going to do for the car? There is nothing on the front bumper and only about 16" on the hood and a small amount on the fenders. Bumper will get trashed and upper hood will get trashed with a small strip of pristine paint. It would like like dog poo in a year or two. If they would have done the whole hood that may be a different story but this car is so low and exposed on the front it doesn't stand a chance anyway. I bet we will be getting rock chips just above the windshield too.
I dont recommend the Scion clear bra at all. Its overpriced for film that is very noticeable. You can get the entire front end done for the cost of the front bumper. One thing Ive noticed is the dealers near me have only been ordering the hood/fender film and leaving the bumper unprotected. I dont understand that.

But, youre not going to get a rock chip on the upper portion of the hood unless it falls straight down. Go with an aftermarket clear bra, one that covers the first 24" of the hood (thats about half of it) and it will protect perfectly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoXDD View Post
on my evo i did entire front end, on these cars, you just need:

bumper
pull cups
LIGHTS (CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!)
fender
and 100% optional but not needed is the trunk flat part (forget what they call it)
To add to that:

-Mirror caps
-Leading edge of the a-pillars
-Area around gas door
-Area behind each wheel

The trunk apron is definitely needed IMO. The opening is small and its very easy to drag something across the paint.

I also think a good area to cover is the front edge of the rear wheel arches (between the door and the wheel). I didnt get that covered and got a rock chip there