follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Ludacrits

Drives: 2007 Porsche Cayman S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Considering trying FI and/or e85 for the first time.

I'm thinking about trying out some forced induction for the first time.

Should I go supercharger or turbocharger?
Can you guys educate me on the benefits and disadvantages of each? I'm been reading stuff online but I'd like to hear some comments from people that I can ask questions and respond with. From what I gathered a supercharger will make a lot less power than a turbo but it's safer for the engine and requires less modification. It also seems to cost less.

Also I found out there is a gas station close to me that has E85. A friend of mine runs E85 in his turbo CRX and I was kind of considering using it. I heard you can use it in a 100% stock FRS but I'm not sure if that's true. Pros and cons?
Ludacrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
You need to do a search on the forum and go through some of the threads already out there. There is one called "turbocharger vs supercharger" and others that have discussed this to death. Why reinvent the wheel if its already there?
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Nightbringer (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Ludacrits

Drives: 2007 Porsche Cayman S MT
The search function doesnt work for me. Maybe it's my browser. I'll try again i guess.
Ludacrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
PITTFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
it basically depends on how you want your torque/power curve to look/feel and what kind of power you want in the long run. At this point turbos are making more power in our cars but are alot more confusing if youre new to FI. On this car i personally would go SC, less lag time and more consistent torque/power curve. Also, as far as E85 goes i wouldnt do it on a stock motor with no tune, there is nothing tell the injectors to send more fuel so i think it would run lean but i could be wrong. You could always make your own mix at the pump and it might be safer. But like i said, in the end its all about how much power you want and money you want to spend.
PITTFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
PITTFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludacrits View Post
The search function doesnt work for me. Maybe it's my browser. I'll try again i guess.
it doesnt work for me either haha
PITTFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
write this in your browser

Code:
site:www.ft86club.com/forums turbocharger vs supercharger
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
nonicname
Banned

Drives: it has 4 wheels and a motor
you might wanna take a look at this:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39719
nonicname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Adeets
OEDC

Drives: Vortech 8.5psi 274WHP 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonicname View Post
you might wanna take a look at this:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39719
I believe he said FI, not the electric version of NO2
Adeets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adeets For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (09-01-2013), xjohnx (09-02-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
phloozy

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I thought about it for a while and went the Innovate SC route and am happy with the choice. I wont say its better than going turbo since I haven't driven a turbo 86. The SC kept all the characteristics of the stock 86 with more power which was big for me. I don't think you can go wrong either way so just decide based on your finances and future goals, the SCs available now will max out eventually where as a turbo can always upgrade and go bigger.

My last point for SC is don't go chasing numbers. This is not a straight line car, if you are thinking you want to go FI because your mustang friends are faster than you then dont. For every penny you drop into the frs a faster stock car can do the same and be faster. Love the car for what it is and mod the car to compliment the characteristics and not to make up for them.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
lexusb3
Banned

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm thinking about trying out some forced induction for the first time.

Should I go supercharger or turbocharger?
Can you guys educate me on the benefits and disadvantages of each? I'm been reading stuff online but I'd like to hear some comments from people that I can ask questions and respond with. From what I gathered a supercharger will make a lot less power than a turbo but it's safer for the engine and requires less modification. It also seems to cost less.

Also I found out there is a gas station close to me that has E85. A friend of mine runs E85 in his turbo CRX and I was kind of considering using it. I heard you can use it in a 100% stock FRS but I'm not sure if that's true. Pros and cons?

i have respect for both SC and TC. we can all fight on whats better all day long. They both have there pros and cons. But if you are undecided on what you want first you should research on both, weather you want power down low or up top etc, etc. But i personally feel that alot of people that went supercharger have changed there mind or in the verge or a "jump-ship" because its not what they wanted power wise im assuming. What im trying to say to you is research well and take your time on your choice as they both ways cost $$$ and if you decide to change your mind it will even cost more $$ lol at the end im sure you will be happy with your choice look forward to your build thread!if you have question on a turbo kit feel free to ask me
lexusb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lexusb3 For This Useful Post:
Nightbringer (09-01-2013), Sportsguy83 (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
Scalzo

Drives: Asphalt FRS <3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
FA20club Turbo kit! can't go wrong with one of the best tuner for our platforms!
Old 09-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
killerkid08
Cool Stuff

Drives: Cool Car
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
a word from the wiser, save for a built block unless you believe you are strong enough to handle the urge to go faster. just sayin.
killerkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to killerkid08 For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
Nightbringer

Drives: Scion FR-S
I wanted to reiterate on the E85 front for the sake of safety: you CANNOT run E85 in this car without a tune, as it is not flexfuel. It will run lean, and you will have an extremely bad time.

If you're looking for a bump in power, but don't want to make the $3000+ jump into forced induction, I would recommend getting an FA20Club tune. Toni can provide you with a tune for pumpgas as well as a tune so you can safely run E85. This investment is not a wasted one, as E85 is absolutely amazing with forced induction and you would need a tune at that point anyways. Beyond the power increase, the smoothness of power delivery and the overall drivability of the car post-tune will be a night and day difference.

FI Summary: superchargers are not inherently "safer" than turbochargers. Boost is boost, more or less, and carry the same risks. In overly simplified terms: superchargers generally produce more low-rpm torque and have less lag when coming into power, and turbo's are capable of generating more peak horsepower. If you like linear power delivery and plan to autocross/roadcourse, supercharger is preferred. If you drag race, turbo.

E85: Pros: 104-108 octane rating (it's basically racegas on the cheap) as well as charge cooling. Even on a stock motor, switching to E85 will net you 20-30 whp (may not seem noteworthy, but that's a giant percentage increase on a 150-160 whp motor) and will nearly remove the torque dip. Cons: ethanol requires more fuel per part air to be stoichiometric/safe. Expect a 20-30% decrease in your average mpg.

Recommendation: get the tune first, and spend time studying all these threads. Forced induction is a major and complicated step, and not a decision to make lightly. There is no overarching RIGHT answer, so you will need to decide what compliments your driving style the most.

Sorry for the lengthiness. Hope this helps.
Nightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nightbringer For This Useful Post:
mack4477 (09-02-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #14
Adeets
OEDC

Drives: Vortech 8.5psi 274WHP 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Really just look at the FI dyno thread, choose a dyno you like and pm that guy to figure out what he did and whos tune he's running.... Knew that FI dyno thread should have been stickied.
Adeets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adeets For This Useful Post:
mack4477 (09-02-2013), Nightbringer (09-01-2013), Sportsguy83 (09-01-2013)