follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2022, 08:06 PM   #267
ProGodLegend

Drives: 22 Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRT View Post
I've watched a bunch of exhaust review videos, and I noticed in nearly all of them the left exhaust tip hangs lower than the right.

Has anyone else noticed this on the 2022s? Or am I just watching reviews of rushed jobs? I attached 3 examples for reference. (HKS, Greddy and MXP examples). I find it hard to believe that 3 different systems would have identical issues. Are the hanger mounts a little different this time around?
Mine is like that as well, just a little bit though.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
ProGodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:25 PM   #268
eyeballs

Drives: '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsky View Post
I know I saw a post somewhere that stated what the Gen 2 oem exhaust size is. Was it 2.5 inch or only 2.25?
2.25" which seems like plenty, especially for those of us at elevation where the motor isn't making as much power.
eyeballs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eyeballs For This Useful Post:
Midnightsky (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 10:31 PM   #269
Midnightsky

Drives: 2022 BRZ WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
2.25" which seems like plenty, especially for those of us at elevation where the motor isn't making as much power.
Hmmm you know I actually never even considered altitude, that's a great point. Im at like 3000ft above sea lvl and no plan to boost my car. 2.25" Might be ok then. The one thing I will say tho, so far the 3 inch catbacks all seem to sound the best in any of the videos I have seen. Even tho it's possible to lose power that way, it's hard to argue with a really good sounding exhaust note.
Midnightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:50 AM   #270
LRNAD90

Drives: X5 35d, D90, CX-5 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsky View Post
Hmmm you know I actually never even considered altitude, that's a great point. Im at like 3000ft above sea lvl and no plan to boost my car. 2.25" Might be ok then. The one thing I will say tho, so far the 3 inch catbacks all seem to sound the best in any of the videos I have seen. Even tho it's possible to lose power that way, it's hard to argue with a really good sounding exhaust note.
You really thing going to a 3" catback would cause a loss in power? I get that some backpressure is needed for proper scavenging, but I wouldn't think anything catback would affect power output, negatively or positively.

I would think the designed in back pressure/ restriction the engine needs/is seeing is the header/over pipe designs and the two cats, doubt any reduced restriction downstream from there has any affect..

Last edited by LRNAD90; 02-04-2022 at 11:53 AM.
LRNAD90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:56 AM   #271
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,472 Times in 767 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
3" catback was tested with *zero* difference in performance vs stock... as was a 2.5" catback.

Catback makes no difference in power, much like the first gen.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 01:27 PM   #272
MisterGoober

Drives: IS300, WRX, STI, Bicycle
Any thoughts on the Corsa vs. CSGxMXP Touring86?

The stock exhaust with the sound generator unplugged is way too quiet for a performance car. I have no plans to do other mods, looking for something louder than stock especially at WOT with no drone at cruising. The car is loud enough thanks to tire/wind noise already.

Perrin is temporarily ruled out because they don't have a 2.5" option
Borla seems like it might be too loud but also piping dips down at the Y split
Q300 - Had one on a previous car, it's fine, had some drone during highway driving, not noise but more like low frequency bass sounds

Open to other ideas, but wondering how loud the Corsa would be during "normal" driving and if the CSGxMXP Touring86 would be barely noticeable over stock if i'm not doing headers, removing cats, etc. I have no delusions regarding performance, it will probably add nothing. Just want something to give the BRZ a meaner sound that isn't obnoxious and doesn't drone.
MisterGoober is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterGoober For This Useful Post:
PBR (02-06-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 01:37 PM   #273
SpectreRT

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGoober View Post
Any thoughts on the Corsa vs. CSGxMXP Touring86?

The stock exhaust with the sound generator unplugged is way too quiet for a performance car. I have no plans to do other mods, looking for something louder than stock especially at WOT with no drone at cruising. The car is loud enough thanks to tire/wind noise already.

Borla seems like it might be too loud but also piping dips down at the Y split
Q300 - Had one on a previous car, it's fine, had some drone during highway driving, not noise but more like low frequency bass sounds

Open to other ideas, but wondering how loud the Corsa would be during "normal" driving and if the CSGxMXP Touring86 would be barely noticeable over stock if i'm not doing headers, removing cats, etc. I have no delusions regarding performance, it will probably add nothing. Just want something to give the BRZ a meaner sound that isn't obnoxious and doesn't drone.
Both are awesome, and both are expensive. Personally, I'd get the Corsa (I'm looking for one myself on a better sale). Nothing against the CSG one; I just dont like the giant tips MXP uses; they look like coffee cans to me.

For reference, Corsa's webpage has a $100 off deal running for their exhaust. Its still like $1,180 shipped after tax or something. IMHO, way too expensive for a noiser maker - but to each his own.
SpectreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 02:27 PM   #274
MisterGoober

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRT View Post
Both are awesome, and both are expensive. Personally, I'd get the Corsa (I'm looking for one myself on a better sale). Nothing against the CSG one; I just dont like the giant tips MXP uses; they look like coffee cans to me.

For reference, Corsa's webpage has a $100 off deal running for their exhaust. Its still like $1,180 shipped after tax or something. IMHO, way too expensive for a noiser maker - but to each his own.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback. Neither one ever seems to get heavily discounted and at the end of the day they're $300-400 more than a Q300 or Borla, but probably will be able sell either the CSGxMXP or the Corsa easily when I sell the car.

Just hoping the Corsa won't be too loud.
Old 02-04-2022, 02:50 PM   #275
LRNAD90

Drives: X5 35d, D90, CX-5 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGoober View Post
What exactly is the issue with the Perrin 3"? Personally the first post in this thread for the 3" Perrin has one of the best sounds overall to me. Seems like the 3" gives a deeper tone on the larger 2.4 engine.

I really like the sound of the Greddy Evo GT (also a 3" and honestly it is my favorite, can't stop listening to it), but I'm concerned it may be too loud, and don't like the huge low hanging mufflers (anyone else wonder if there are any aerodynamic penalties when you remove the stock muffler for something like these, since the under car airflow out the back could now be disturbed by the 'pocket' created by the missing stock muffler? Seems like they spent significant time with undertrays to control airflow on the second gen).

The Corsa also seems really loud to me, in the only real video I seem to find (updated with longer video, doesn't sound as smooth to me as the others)..

And talk about expensive, the ARK Grip sounds nice, but OMG is the price ridiculous..

Adding the Lachute Performance "Catback - Comfort " to my list of favorites, but reserving judgement till I can hear it under load. Honestly it doesn't sound much different than the Lachute Muffler delete pipe..

Last edited by LRNAD90; 03-09-2022 at 04:37 PM.
LRNAD90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 03:11 PM   #276
autosenses

Drives: 22 Raven 86, 19 STI, 15MK7 SE daily
The 2.4 is turning out to sound awesome. It revs faster, deeper and with no rasp vs an STI. The greddy GT so far has the cleanest and best quality sound. But it might be a bit too loud.
autosenses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 03:14 PM   #277
joemysterio

Drives: Mini
I recently started listening to the Corsa exhaust on YT, it's starting to climb to the top of my list of choices. In years past, going by old posts here, it seems like it could be had for a lot cheaper. Wondering if it's more expensive now because of shortages of everything else?

Also the more I think about it, I haven't found a single aftermarket exhaust that sounds good to me with UEL headers, and I'm not sure I've seen a catted UEL. I'd like that rumble but not so insanely loud and without the rasp and/or fartcan-like noises I seem to hear in everyone's videos... could be their camera though I guess.
joemysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 03:41 PM   #278
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
You really thing going to a 3" catback would cause a loss in power? I get that some backpressure is needed for proper scavenging, but I wouldn't think anything catback would affect power output, negatively or positively.

I would think the designed in back pressure/ restriction the engine needs/is seeing is the header/over pipe designs and the two cats, doubt any reduced restriction downstream from there has any affect..
Large exhausts hurt power not because a car needs backpressure it's because the exhaust gasses lose velocity and thus scavenging effect.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...or-horsepower/
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
Andrew025 (05-18-2022), Midnightsky (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 03:47 PM   #279
MisterGoober

A few pages back, someone commented that the Perrin 3" might have some drone, especially vs. the 2.5". Regardless, it's not in stock. Even though it says shipping soon, I believe Perrin is waiting on inventory like everyone else. I also don't see the point of going to 3" if it *might* negatively affect power if i'm never planning on going FI on this car (and it costs more than 2.5)
Old 02-04-2022, 03:59 PM   #280
22 BRZ

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ 6MT IR
Just pulled the trigger on the CSG Touring! Hopefully it warms up a bit by the time it gets here...