follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-11-2022, 08:28 AM   #85
MikeNSX2

Drives: Ice Silver 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewesyru View Post
I will post my reply to @MikeNSX2 in another thread again here since it's better to put all the TPMS discussions together.

-----------

What model of the sensor do you have on your wheels? Are they Tire Rack T5 or T6, or other brands?

I think the tire shop had encountered a similar issue as I had in this post. The gen1 & gen2 sensors are totally different and not interchangeable, and gen2 is actually a Toyota sensor. They won't be detected under Subaru setting.

I guess you have gen1 sensors installed. That's why the tire shop couldn't detect anything in the gen2 setting, no matter what brands / how expensive the tools they were using...

Even if they somehow got the sensor IDs, I think your car will not communicate with them. Panda Grahams has Tire Rack T5 which is gen1 sensors installed, and the IDs were written into the ECU but the tire pressure never shows up in the dash, and eventually the freaking light lit up...

So, I think the best solution for now, is to order some Tire Rack T6 for your gen2 car. OEM is way too costly and on backorder for most of the dealerships.
Supposedly Tirerack installed T-6 sensors in my wheels, but I am beginning to doubt this.

I'll know early next week if they incorrectly installed the T-5 sensors instead after I have Discount Tire break down my wheels to see which sensors I do have.

One more thing. So...are you saying if they plug in a 2022 BRZ as the car on their scanner, it will not work for a T-6 sensor?
MikeNSX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 03:07 PM   #86
lewesyru

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNSX2 View Post
One more thing. So...are you saying if they plug in a 2022 BRZ as the car on their scanner, it will not work for a T-6 sensor?
Supposedly T6 should perform exactly the same as gen 2 OEM. So, if their scanner has the 2022 BRZ option, there shouldn't be any problem. The Camry trick works for all my T6 or OEM sensors.

Well, from all the information that we have in this thread, I think we can have a conclusion that:
gen1 scanner setting + T5 will work, but gen 2 car CANNOT recognize gen1 sensors; It's NOT backward compatible.
gen2 scanner setting + T6 will work because T6 should be the same as gen2 OEM, and they are in fact Toyota sensors;
gen1 scanner setting + T6 or gen2 scanner setting + T5 won't work at all.
lewesyru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 05:58 PM   #87
MikeNSX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewesyru View Post
Supposedly T6 should perform exactly the same as gen 2 OEM. So, if their scanner has the 2022 BRZ option, there shouldn't be any problem. The Camry trick works for all my T6 or OEM sensors.

Well, from all the information that we have in this thread, I think we can have a conclusion that:
gen1 scanner setting + T5 will work, but gen 2 car CANNOT recognize gen1 sensors; It's NOT backward compatible.
gen2 scanner setting + T6 will work because T6 should be the same as gen2 OEM, and they are in fact Toyota sensors;
gen1 scanner setting + T6 or gen2 scanner setting + T5 won't work at all.
Gen2 scanner setting + T6 did not work for me.

I went to Discount Tire with my Tirerack installed T6 sensors (assuming they put in the T6's as per my order) to have them read them and register them to my car.

The manager of the Discount Tire store I went to is the one who scans and registers new sensors to cars, and he does this several hundred times a year. He should therefore know what he is doing.

He used the up to date gen2 scanner that was updated for a 2022 BRZ.

When he scanned my car, it said "Incorrect Tire Pressure Monitor". He told me that most likely meant that Tirerack installed the wrong sensors in my car.

Therefore, a gen2 scanner with a T6 sensor does not necessarily work. At least it didn't for me.

All this is assuming Tirerack actually installed T6's in my car instead of T5's. I'm going in next week to have my tires taken off to see what sensors I actually have. I'm guessing Tirerack installed the wrong sensors.

Last edited by MikeNSX2; 02-12-2022 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:04 AM   #88
lewesyru

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Gen2 scanner setting + T6 did not work for me.
I highly doubt that they just gave you T5 instead of T6. The Tire Rack guy might think that they both works on BRZ and didn't realize that these two generations aren't interchangeable. And they somehow didn't have T6 in hand and thought T5 might also work? (just my guess)
lewesyru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:36 AM   #89
MikeNSX2

Update:

Just got back from Discount Tire to have them break the bead on my tires so we could see which sensors Tirerack actually installed.

Turns out they installed the "correct" T6 sensors in my wheels. Even so, Discount Tire still could not read the sensors, even though their scanner is fully updated for a 2022 BRZ. It read "Incorrect Tire Pressure Monitor" for all four wheels.

Tirerack wants me to take my car to one of their recommended installers to have them read and pair these supposedly "correct" sensors to my car. I will do this tomorrow and report back.

Last edited by MikeNSX2; 02-15-2022 at 10:48 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeNSX2 For This Useful Post:
bcj (02-15-2022), Falken86 (02-15-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 12:53 PM   #90
MikeNSX2

So...I took my car to two of Tirerack's recommended installers today, and neither Firestone nor NTB could read my sensor ID#s to pair them to my car.

Discount Tire, Firestone and NTB all told me they feel that the software for our 2022 BRZ's appears to not work with these T6 sensors that Tirerack sells.

Bottom line: Tirerack sold me a set of sensors that Discount Tire says are incorrect for my car, and that both Firestone and NTB cannot even scan and register for me.

How does Tirerack expect people to have a functional TPMS system when their recommended installers cannot even scan and register their T6 sensors to one's car?

Last edited by MikeNSX2; 02-16-2022 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:01 PM   #91
azndavepgh

Drives: 2022 BRZ
I'm wondering if any of the TPMS tools out there (including Subaru's) are really updated for the second gen and its ability to store two sets of sensors. @lewesyru had to use the settings for a Camry. I took my car to my dealer and to a good tire shop, but neither one mentioned seeing the option to store a second set.
azndavepgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 10:38 AM   #92
MikeNSX2

Tirerack just got back with me and told me to use the scanner setting for a 2021 Toyota Camry to read and pair the sensors to my car. They said the 2021 Camry sensor is the exact same sensor they installed in my wheels.

Last edited by MikeNSX2; 02-18-2022 at 07:25 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeNSX2 For This Useful Post:
Aroundomaha (02-20-2022), Up4speed (02-18-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 12:53 PM   #93
Aroundomaha

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I took my BRZ with the new Enkei PX10 wheels and what Tire Rack's invoice said are "PACIFIC 315MHZ" sensors. It took the dealer a while to figure it out, and they asked if I had the Id numbers for the sensors. Tire Rack said they don't send them any more and told me to go to one of their approved installers. I was like screw that crap I'm at the freaking dealer and not running around. The dealer tech figured it out and the second set of wheels are registered. I believe they said it was the Toyota setting that did it.

Last edited by Aroundomaha; 02-21-2022 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Adding a photo of the Tire rack tpms
Aroundomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aroundomaha For This Useful Post:
AK2112 (02-20-2022), MikeNSX2 (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 08:55 PM   #94
MikeNSX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundomaha View Post
I took my BRZ with the new Enkei PX10 wheels and what Tire Rack's invoice said are "PACIFIC 315MHZ" sensors. It took the dealer a while to figure it out, and they asked if I had the Id numbers for the sensors. Tire Rack said they don't send them any more and told me to go to one of their approved installers. I was like screw that crap I'm at the freaking dealer and not running around. The dealer tech figured it out and the second set of wheels are registered. I believe they said it was the Toyota setting that did it.
Pretty much exactly what happened to me, except your dealer was able to figure out how to read and register your new wheels and mine wasn't.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:58 PM   #95
saluki89

Drives: 2020 Outback XT, 2022 BRZ
Quote:
Pretty much exactly what happened to me, except your dealer was able to figure out how to read and register your new wheels and mine wasn't.
Do you have another dealer nearby that you could try? My dealer sees a lot of wheels from Tire rack, so they were pretty familiar with the overall process even if my BRZ was the first 2022 that they programmed.
saluki89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:19 PM   #96
eyeballs

Drives: '22 BRZ
Took my tire rack sensors to the dealership today and one of the techs and I (hopefully) got everything paired up properly. With the laptop software, once the sensor codes are entered, there is a "main" and "sub" option. Saved the loose set under "sub". Now I just need to mount up the summer tires on the other wheelset along with the sensors, push the glovebox button, and hope it works.
eyeballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:09 AM   #97
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
have the added a feature in the second gens where the ecu can store 2 sets of tpms or is it still like the first gen where you'd have to flash your ecu every season for those with winter tires?

If it's the same as first gens I highly recommend borrowing/renting an ateq quickset tool or equivalent to read the stored set of 4 tpms codes from you ecu via obd port, then buy a set of schrader programmable tpms sensors and clone the codes on them. I'd rather minimize the times I flash things to the ECU and bricking it if something goes wrong
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:34 AM   #98
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,473 Times in 767 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltywetman View Post
have the added a feature in the second gens where the ecu can store 2 sets of tpms or is it still like the first gen where you'd have to flash your ecu every season for those with winter tires?

If it's the same as first gens I highly recommend borrowing/renting an ateq quickset tool or equivalent to read the stored set of 4 tpms codes from you ecu via obd port, then buy a set of schrader programmable tpms sensors and clone the codes on them. I'd rather minimize the times I flash things to the ECU and bricking it if something goes wrong
Yep, you can store two sets of TPMS now.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
saltywetman (02-28-2022), timurrrr (02-25-2022)