follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-02-2022, 10:35 AM   #57
Panda Grahams

Drives: '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4speed View Post
So since you were not able to program them. Do you think maybe you can read them with your tool, and then the dealer can use that information to program them with their computer? Or do you think they would still have to remove the tires from the wheels to get to the sensors themselves?
You could totally read the sensors with a tool and bring that information to the dealer. The issue with my tool, is apparently in the exchange of the sensor data to the car, being that it's not in their database. I would expect Subaru's own tool to not have that issue.
Panda Grahams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Panda Grahams For This Useful Post:
Up4speed (02-03-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 11:02 AM   #58
MikeNSX2

Drives: Ice Silver 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I just spoke with my sales guy at Tirerack to see if they keep a record of the sensor ID numbers in their database, but unfortunately they do not.

He suggested that I go to Discount Tire or Firestone or another tire company and not use the Subaru dealer. He said the dealer is good for replacing parts and repairing cars, but that they typically are not experts on tires and TPMS sensors.

BTW, he was not surprised that a Subaru dealer was having issues in registering my new sensors since that is something they rarely if ever do.
MikeNSX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeNSX2 For This Useful Post:
Up4speed (02-03-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 11:36 AM   #59
MikeNSX2

Follow-up to my last post.

After thinking about what Luke at Tirerack told me, here's what I plan on doing:

1) I will go to the Discount Tire I've used before and have them read the sensor codes, which I will write down. Luke said they have the most up to date sensor readers, and can easily do this for me.

2) Once I have the 4 codes, I will take the car to the Subaru dealer to input them and register them to the car.

This is a total PITA and something that I hope works. It's totally ridiculous that Subaru makes it so difficult to register an extra set of wheels to one's car.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeNSX2 For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 12:28 PM   #60
AK2112

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It's completely ridiculous that only Subaru can pair a new set of wheels/sensors with the car.

There has to be a way for tire shops to do it.
AK2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:56 PM   #61
MikeNSX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2112 View Post
It's completely ridiculous that only Subaru can pair a new set of wheels/sensors with the car.

Luke at Tirerack told me it is possible that Discount Tire can pair my new sensors to the car, so I will ask them if they can do this when I take my BRZ to them.

I know they should be able to read the sensor ID #s with their up to date TPMS equipment, so it would be nice if they could go ahead and pair them with my car so I don't have to go to the Subaru dealer and pay them to register them.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:31 PM   #62
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2112 View Post

I'm sure there will be a way when firmware updates are available for whatever tools they are using, or when they upgrade their tools.

But honestly the car should just have a button like "I just installed new wheels, figure it out whatever is needed". No dealer/shop should be needed.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
Panda Grahams (02-02-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 09:28 PM   #63
timurrrr

Here's an interesting find on how to get the Autel TS501 and TireRack T6 sensors to work with a 2022 BRZ:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148698
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
Panda Grahams (02-03-2022), Up4speed (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 08:38 AM   #64
Narwhal

Drives: GR86
Hadn't thought of it until now, but since I put on a winter set. When I put the oem wheels back on, will I have to reset the sensors or figure out which wheel was in whatever position? Or does the car figure out the location of each paired sensor on its own?
Narwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 11:58 AM   #65
azndavepgh

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narwhal View Post
Hadn't thought of it until now, but since I put on a winter set. When I put the oem wheels back on, will I have to reset the sensors or figure out which wheel was in whatever position? Or does the car figure out the location of each paired sensor on its own?
That's a good question. I'm guessing that the system will determine the location of each sensor ID when you reinitialize the TPMS.
azndavepgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:18 PM   #66
timurrrr

Does anybody know if those T6 sensors are compatible with gen.1 cars?
I just received the T6's for my 2022, but I don't have the 2022 car yet.

I have my '17 OEM TPMS sensors in my current aftermarket wheels, and it's about time to change my tires.
I plan to reuse these wheels on my 2022.
I'm thinking I can pull out the OEM TPMS sensors when changing tires, put the T6's into the wheels, and hopefully re-program my '17 to work with the T6.
The OEM TPMS sensors in my current wheels will go back into the OEM wheels so I can sell them with the car in the future.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:45 AM   #67
saluki89

Drives: 2020 Outback XT, 2022 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNSX2 View Post
Follow-up to my last post.

After thinking about what Luke at Tirerack told me, here's what I plan on doing:

1) I will go to the Discount Tire I've used before and have them read the sensor codes, which I will write down. Luke said they have the most up to date sensor readers, and can easily do this for me.

2) Once I have the 4 codes, I will take the car to the Subaru dealer to input them and register them to the car.

This is a total PITA and something that I hope works. It's totally ridiculous that Subaru makes it so difficult to register an extra set of wheels to one's car.
Sent you a message. Sounds like it depends on how good each dealership is at this, mine has said they do many of these and successfully were able to sniff for the sensors, then manually entered them into the database.
saluki89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 03:51 AM   #68
saluki89

Drives: 2020 Outback XT, 2022 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by azndavepgh View Post
That's a good question. I'm guessing that the system will determine the location of each sensor ID when you reinitialize the TPMS.
I marked each factory wheel when I put on my “cold weather” set so that they can go back on in the same spot, but figured the system is able to tell where each sensor is since they would change anyway when the tires are rotated.
saluki89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:12 PM   #69
MikeNSX2

OK...now I am really upset with Subaru and their so called TPMS system.

Just got back from Discount Tire to have them scan the sensors in my new wheels from Tirerack and register them to my car, and they were unable to do so. My Subaru dealer was unable to do this as well.

They came out to my car with their $7000 scanner (which they said it cost), and which was fully updated for a 2022 BRZ.

It would not even scan the sensors, as it said "Incorrect Tire Pressure Monitor" on all four wheels. It was as if the sensors did not even exist.

I have NEVER had an issue with any TPMS system like I have had with Subaru. One would think Subaru would make it somewhat easy to reprogram TPMS sensors to new wheels like most car manufacturers do. I guess not.

At this point, I guess I'll have to drive my car with no TPMS, which I guess will have to be fine. The '91 NSX I owned for 18 years had no TPMS, as well as 28 of the 29 Corvettes I've owned. Hell, even the '96 Viper GTS I bought new didn't have them either (nor did it have ABS, which is another story).

Long story short, it seems the only way I can make my BRZ have a functional TPMS sensor system is to buy expensive OEM ($120 each plus installation) sensors and install them into my new Enkei wheels.

This whole situation sucks.

Last edited by MikeNSX2; 02-09-2022 at 09:08 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeNSX2 For This Useful Post:
AK2112 (02-09-2022), Fletch (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 09:49 PM   #70
AK2112

Drives: 22 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNSX2 View Post
OK...now I am really upset with Subaru and their so called TPMS system.

Just got back from Discount Tire to have them scan the sensors in my new wheels from Tirerack and register them to my car, and they were unable to do so. My Subaru dealer was unable to do this as well.

They came out to my car with their $7000 scanner (which they said it cost), and which was fully updated for a 2022 BRZ.

It would not even scan the sensors, as it said "Incorrect Tire Pressure Monitor" on all four wheels. It was as if the sensors did not even exist.

I have NEVER had an issue with any TPMS system like I have had with Subaru. One would think Subaru would make it somewhat easy to reprogram TPMS sensors to new wheels like most car manufacturers do. I guess not.

At this point, I guess I'll have to drive my car with no TPMS, which I guess will have to be fine. The '91 NSX I owned for 18 years had no TPMS, as well as 28 of the 29 Corvettes I've owned. Hell, even the '96 Viper GTS I bought new didn't have them either (nor did it have ABS, which is another story).

Long story short, it seems the only way I can make my BRZ have a functional TPMS sensor system is to buy expensive OEM ($120 each plus installation) sensors and install them into my new Enkei wheels.

This whole situation sucks.
I'd be up Tire Rack's ass for selling these sensors.
AK2112 is offline   Reply With Quote