follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Pro-Kit on stock shocks

I thought I had my decision made on going with Bilstein coilovers but that may be overkill for what I want. I am looking to primarily get rid of wheel\fender gap. I do not go to the track or anything like that, just DD with occasional spirited driving. I plan on getting 18" wheels. I'd like a nice clean look where the fender wells kind of outline the wheel with a ~1-2" gap or so, not hOmEboy slammed.

Something like this:

My original plan was SportLines on Koni yellows, then after doing the math it came to nearly $1000...so then my plan went to Bilstein coilovers. But if I can get my car to the height I want for $300 versus $1300, and drive comfortably, I can put that $1000 elsewhere like towards a turbo kit.

Just wondering what peoples experience is like with pro-kits on the stock shocks, running 18" wheels. Are there any camber issues? Aka will I need a front camber kit and\or rear LCA?

Here's my original thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60858
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
eddieEndo
Smokin on Dat Endo

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
subbed
Old 03-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
Bongertz

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looking forward to this.
Bongertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #4
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
No, you don't need anything for a 1" drop. If you went with Sportlines then you would've needed the added cost of rear LCA's.

Pro-Kit on stock struts seems like a great option. A lot of people are very happy with that route. I already had a new set of Eibach's Pro-Kit in my hands when I ended up winning the SPD coilovers. I'm happy with the coilovers, but had I not won I would've definitely been removing my Sportlines and installing the Pro-Kit.

There are tons of positive threads on the Pro-Kit. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
krulux

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Riding on my second day with the ProKits installed. The car feels fabulous with them on. They are just right - enough drop for stance and wow does the car feel planted... very nimble.

I'm on 18x8 225/40's... combine the excellent spring rate of ProKits with the extra grip from the wider tires and and you can pull serious G-force in the corners.

There is a long double-back interstate entrance ramp on my way to work that provides a serious opportunity to test my car's capability... lets just say the springs passed the pucker factor test with a smile.

-edit- Forgot to add, I had the SPC kit "crash bolts" installed on the front and the guy was able to zero out the front camber. The rears are less than 1'degree negative... but it should be fine with regular rotation.
krulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
FR-Slide

Drives: 13 Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've got some leftover Amazon gift cards, maybe this is my next project.

In a very similar boat; DD with some canyon/spirited driving, but no real track days. Want to keep as much stock as possible, just get a little lower for that fender gap. I've heard that 1" is really the lowest you can go on stock supporting equipment before you start needing LCAs, etc.

So, is Eibach the best option for me? Or is there something equivalent from Swift/RCE/Tein/Megan/Whatever? Any other recommended purchases like camber bolts or anything?

I'm way more familiar with LIFTING than lowering, so this is all pretty new to me, though I'll def be doing the install myself.
FR-Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
Slick

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 6MT
Thanked 1,389 Times in 628 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'll chime in re; the ProKits. Great springs and they play well with the stock shocks.

I've run them for the last 20,000 kms, including alot of track days and currently through quiet a harsh winter up north. No issues.
Over time, the shocks will wear a bit quicker due to the higher spring rate from stock, but for now they are still fine and I'm at 40,000 kms total so far.

At the track, I can feel the stock shocks need a bit more damping to keep up but overall a great package. A good upgrade would be to install Koni Sports to go with the Eibachs.
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
Bones36

Drives: 13 Brz Jrsc
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
That's my car. I love the pro kit. It makes it feel more planted. I have about a 2 finger gap between the tires and fenders. As for camber and alignment I haven't done that yet. I will soon though. I'll let you know how that goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
Bones36 is offline   Reply With Quote