follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-28-2019, 06:52 PM   #127
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Interesting reading. It looks like the majority would keep their 86/BRZ.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:33 PM   #128
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower. To think otherwise is to demean the Buddha—which is to demean oneself. - Robert M. Pirsig
Old 12-28-2019, 10:27 PM   #129
Stomachbuzz

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
to be fair, ALL cars are that. the price is only dependent on the owners salary.

i realized yesterday sitting in traffic next to a mercedes gt-c amg. the higher up one goes in vehicle pricing, the more integrated everything is, and the harder everything is to change/replace/modify, which is what irritates me the most about high end cars. i want driver interaction, and simplicity. i don't want carplay, satellite-linked hvac, moon roofs, or vibrating seats...
You're sort of confusing a few different things here.

First of all, yes, these are absolutely on the "disposable" end of the sports car spectrum.
These cars, while extremely well designed for their price point, are rather cheaply built.
Just an entry-level hoon car for a ~24 year old.

Not all cars are built this way. Some cars are built with a higher focus on longevity and status.
I suppose, if you want to split hairs, yes, "all cars are meant to be used and replaced" in the same essence that cars are built to be driven just as machines are built for a purpose.
As with all machines, some cars are built more with longevity, repairability, and owner satisfaction in mind than others.

Which brings the 2nd point: You're talking about the Mercedes GT-C AMG.

Here's a picture, for those who don't know this car (I didn't because I don't bother to remember eccentric car names anymore)

The Mercedes GT is like the furthest thing from the FRS while still being in the 'sports car' category. Remember GT stands for Grand Tourer, which means a car designed for long distance trips, while still being a fun car.
Like you and the wife hop in, throw a small duffel in the trunk, and do 4 hours of spirited driving to the beach, in extreme comfort.

There is no interest in stripping the car down to bare essentials at the expense of lower back irritation, exhaust drone, or etc. Quite the opposite, even silly features will be added for the purpose of driver comfort. This is the exact reason the buyer wants this car.
If someone wanted an all-out track demon, they would spend that same $160k on a Porsche GT3 or 911 turbo - a car that has amenities removed for the sake of performance.
In addition, both the MB and 911 would have superb ride quality and handling. Something you could literally never achieve with an FRS.

Neither intended demographic is interested in working on their own cars. Or really keeping them more than a few years.

These cars are for distinctly different personalities. Obviously, neither of which apply to you with your primary interest in simplicity.
Stomachbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:37 PM   #130
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomachbuzz View Post
Obviously, neither of which apply to you with your primary interest in simplicity.
i ended up in a brz because when i started pricing out fairlady's, silvia's, or 180's, chassis' were easily $15k for a poor condition one. restoring any model to acceptable/reliable condition, i figured about $10k, which put me within spitting range of the 86 that had a warranty and had only rolled into the second odometer digit.

given the choice, i choose the newer model that had less 'experience' despite being much more fully featured than my preference
Old 12-29-2019, 11:58 PM   #131
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomachbuzz View Post
In addition, both the MB and 911 would have superb ride quality and handling. Something you could literally never achieve with an FRS.
I have to chime in here that this is incorrect, the twins *could* have superb ride quality and handling akin to a 911 or AMG if someone were willing to spend $15k on the dampers like those cars do. The only reason you never see it is because there is no market for it when the entire vehicle is valued at only $30k.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:07 AM   #132
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I probably wouldn't keep mine. I'd daily a STI in the winter and a BMW M2 Competion in the summer. Get a Mk IV for weekends and screwing around. Find a LF-A to drive on special occasions. And if I'm extra lucky,get a La Ferrari for the track.

Back in the real world,and not dreamland,I'm waiting to see the specs and what the next gen STI looks like,as that's more than likely my next car.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #133
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
I probably wouldn't keep mine. I'd daily a STI in the winter and a BMW M2 Competion in the summer. Get a Mk IV for weekends and screwing around. Find a LF-A to drive on special occasions. And if I'm extra lucky,get a La Ferrari for the track.

Back in the real world,and not dreamland,I'm waiting to see the specs and what the next gen STI looks like,as that's more than likely my next car.
You're not thinking rich enough. STi's are trash to rich people, even for winter. Get like an RS6 or M3 winter beater.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:49 PM   #134
Th3rdSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
STi's are trash to rich people, even for winter.
Not if it's Rally'ed out or set up for Isle Of Man.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:59 PM   #135
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
You're not thinking rich enough. STi's are trash to rich people, even for winter. Get like an RS6 or M3 winter beater.
WRX STI's around here are known as the smart poor mans performance car.

In saying that I had a 2015 STI, and I'm not that smart, it was a fat slow pig of a car in OEM form. I even threw in a tune and some suspension to fix the handling, that plus some good tyres fixed the handling but even with a tune the performance was uninspiring.

Disclaimer: I've owned alot of performance cars, but at 1550kg and only 300hp, it was not what I would call fast, maybe if I lived where the AWD was useful, but here in AU the AWD was useless unless it was raining or I was on a dirt road.

Plus in the real world of motorsport they are nowhere near the pointy end of anyrhing, except for the Subaru advertising.

It was a comfortable family car though, the Mrs liked it much more than my 86 which is too low and there isn't enough room in the back seat.

Meh, she likes her shitbox Mitsubishi ASX.

I love listening to people who talk about "if they were rich", their issue is their brain isn't calibrated to think "rich" and they turn their idea of rich into being able to buy a car that they covet but is expensive in their "current" financial situation.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (12-31-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 11:47 PM   #136
Stomachbuzz

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
I have to chime in here that this is incorrect, the twins *could* have superb ride quality and handling akin to a 911 or AMG if someone were willing to spend $15k on the dampers like those cars do. The only reason you never see it is because there is no market for it when the entire vehicle is valued at only $30k.
There is far more to suspension than dampers.

Most of the differences in suspension between the FRS and a MB GT, 911, or similar cannot be modified.
Stomachbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:28 AM   #137
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
WRX STI's around here are known as the smart poor mans performance car.

In saying that I had a 2015 STI, and I'm not that smart, it was a fat slow pig of a car in OEM form. I even threw in a tune and some suspension to fix the handling, that plus some good tyres fixed the handling but even with a tune the performance was uninspiring.

Disclaimer: I've owned alot of performance cars, but at 1550kg and only 300hp, it was not what I would call fast, maybe if I lived where the AWD was useful, but here in AU the AWD was useless unless it was raining or I was on a dirt road.

Plus in the real world of motorsport they are nowhere near the pointy end of anyrhing, except for the Subaru advertising.

It was a comfortable family car though, the Mrs liked it much more than my 86 which is too low and there isn't enough room in the back seat.

Meh, she likes her shitbox Mitsubishi ASX.

I love listening to people who talk about "if they were rich", their issue is their brain isn't calibrated to think "rich" and they turn their idea of rich into being able to buy a car that they covet but is expensive in their "current" financial situation.
Nail on the head.

I doubt many rich people even think about a Subaru, maybe for their 16 year olds birthday.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:32 AM   #138
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
Not if it's Rally'ed out or set up for Isle Of Man.
Rich people don't care about purpose built machines like that. I know exactly which car you're talking about, and I doubt the rich would even care, despite it being an amazing car.

Rich people care about these:

Old 12-31-2019, 12:48 AM   #139
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
AMG or M badges are a requirement as well for the kuds wanting "sporty".
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:26 PM   #140
Th3rdSun

Quote:
Rich people don't care about purpose built machines like that. I know exactly which car you're talking about, and I doubt the rich would even care, despite it being an amazing car.

Rich people care about these:

But I'm not rich,and I'm guessing most people on this forum aren't either,or at least wealthy enough to purchase that Ferrari.

So in the spirit of the OP's question,I stand by my first answer.