follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #967
Reprobate
Damaged goods...

Drives: Asphalt FR-S AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
i got received my registration renewal in the mail and the recall is not mandatory for me... maybe they will give everyone a year grace period before enforcing it next year? well, at least this will let my car live for another year...
I live in California and was able to renew my registration this week without doing the recall. I'm in Los Angeles County. Was this really a thing?
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #968
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABAR432 View Post
so hello I am new here.

I have a 13 FRS that is in need of the J02 valve spring recall.

Car currently has 67xxx miles and is bone stock except for an Invidia N1 catback.

Is the best move to just wait this one out? How many cases of valve spring failure were there to bring about the recall? I looked at the sheet and saw 70 cars failed after the recall and knowing my luck I would be number 71.

don't do it. Every car that failed had very few miles. There is zero need for it in your case.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #969
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,764 Times in 934 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
I live in California and was able to renew my registration this week without doing the recall. I'm in Los Angeles County. Was this really a thing?
Were you required to have a smog check this year?

For those outside California...

Cars do not need smog checks for the first 4 years of ownership... After 4 years, cars are subject to a smog check every two years AND upon transfer of ownership. It is technically the SELLERS responsibility to pass the smog check.

In my personal case, the first smog check for my 2013 FRS (part of the recall) after the recall was issued is going to be next year. As part of the smog check process, the test results are electronically submitted to the DMV along with the VIN of the vehicle. Dealerships are required to submit the VIN of the vehicle to the DMV when any safety related recall is performed.

The state will not renew registration if either the test is failed or if there are outstanding safety recalls (this recall is classified as safety related). When I asked, the DMV representative told me that the recall compliance check was part of the smog compliance check.

So... was this a smog check year for you?
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #970
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
based on the recall letter from the IIHS, yes this is a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
Were you required to have a smog check this year?

For those outside California...

Cars do not need smog checks for the first 4 years of ownership... After 4 years, cars are subject to a smog check every two years AND upon transfer of ownership. It is technically the SELLERS responsibility to pass the smog check.

In my personal case, the first smog check for my 2013 FRS (part of the recall) after the recall was issued is going to be next year. As part of the smog check process, the test results are electronically submitted to the DMV along with the VIN of the vehicle. Dealerships are required to submit the VIN of the vehicle to the DMV when any safety related recall is performed.

The state will not renew registration if either the test is failed or if there are outstanding safety recalls (this recall is classified as safety related). When I asked, the DMV representative told me that the recall compliance check was part of the smog compliance check.

So... was this a smog check year for you?
for me, this year marked the 2nd year of ownership of my 2013 and was expecting to do 2 things to renew my registration:

1. A smog test
2. Proof that recall was done (transmitted electronically from dealer to DMV)

both did not materialize for some reason, so i'm lost.

For smog test, my understanding is the new car law where smog is not required for the first 6 years of ownership (8 years as of Jan 1 2019 FYI) does not apply to used cars. My car was smogged 2 years ago by previous owner in order to sell me the car, and I thought I have to do that every 2 years

I was also surprised that DMV didn't enforce the recall this year, but i suspect this year is a grace period and will be enforced next year.
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:29 PM   #971
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The DMV is so awful. They wouldn't accept any form of insurance last year, so they wouldn't register my car, even though I sent them the money. Then they didn't send me the registration renewal this year. I have a DMV appointment, oh, 2 months from now. That I made a month ago. SMH.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #972
subaru

Drives: STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Not sure if anyone is looking or cares but I have an update. The main thing being my drivetrain sounds terrible. I have had a few subarus and am no stranger to a little valvetrain noise especially when cold but the car sounds old and crappy relative to it's previous self. 33k miles, less than 800 since recall. The other news is my shifter rattle seemingly induced by the recall went away before I could get back into the dealer. I actually didn't even bother trying to convince them at this point. Yay
subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to subaru For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-12-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 12:26 AM   #973
MG_T1989

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Inland Empire, CA

Hello again,

Since this is the discussion thread regarding the post recall failure and I've seen more and more reports on the NHTSA, I was wondering if there are any of you located in the Inland Empire of southern California who had a similar experience. I am also curious to know which Toyota dealership you went to. For reference, I went to John Elway's Crown Toyota in Ontario.

If you don't feel comfortable calling out the dealer's name, please feel free to message me.

Thank you!
MG_T1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:29 AM   #974
AngelGT86Racer

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2007 Acura TL 5AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
The DMV is so awful. They wouldn't accept any form of insurance last year, so they wouldn't register my car, even though I sent them the money. Then they didn't send me the registration renewal this year. I have a DMV appointment, oh, 2 months from now. That I made a month ago. SMH.

Are the Castro Valley DMV's really that bad? You might be better off trying one of the South Bay ones at that point.
AngelGT86Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #975
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGT86Racer View Post
Are the Castro Valley DMV's really that bad? You might be better off trying one of the South Bay ones at that point.
I'm talking about the place I mail off to. The nearest DMVs are Hayward and Pleasanton. Both are typical offices. Poorer customers at Hayward but easier to get an appointment apparently.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:24 PM   #976
John Wick
Baba Yaga

Drives: to be bought
About to buy a 2013 that had the recall done. Called the dealership and they arnt aware but neither have had any come back out of the 15 they have serviced. Should I believe them? Talked to an advisor.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
John Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:42 PM   #977
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,826 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wick View Post
About to buy a 2013 that had the recall done. Called the dealership and they arnt aware but neither have had any come back out of the 15 they have serviced. Should I believe them? Talked to an advisor.
WELCOME John Wick, to the Forum. -

As you can see by roaming around over this forum, some of the cars that had the recall work didn't fare too well -

While others have been OK. Maybe that dealership has some techs that know what they are doing.

You might ask them how many miles has the car been driven since the recall work was done?

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:30 AM   #978
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
WELCOME John Wick, to the Forum.
Isn't that... the wispy bit at the end of the candle in my bathroom?
Old 06-15-2019, 03:13 AM   #979
John Wick
Baba Yaga

Drives: to be bought
Yes, I’ve read up pretty extensively. I believe this Argento had 300 miles on it. I’m going to see if he can push it to 500 somehow in the coming week. The other frs I was looking st... well the dealership won’t return my calls so that’s too bad.

Be seeing you, humfrz

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
John Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Wick For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-17-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 10:21 PM   #980
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wick View Post
Yes, I’ve read up pretty extensively. I believe this Argento had 300 miles on it. I’m going to see if he can push it to 500 somehow in the coming week. The other frs I was looking st... well the dealership won’t return my calls so that’s too bad.

Be seeing you, humfrz
Yeah... I’d pass on that car if I were you.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
Gunman (06-16-2019)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue