follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2014, 01:34 AM   #1
shayne23

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb FRS TUNER CANADA

I'm recently purchased my 2013 Firestorm Red Scion FRS after months and months of research and after one month of driving I am 100% sure I made the right choice as i'm sure most of you know.

I am now looking into different tuner ideas and was looking at currently getting a large black rear wing as well as grabbing a hood with grates (both will probably be carbon fiber) I am a definate newb on here and could really use some advice in how to tune my new baby up as well as some locations on where to purchase and install the new tuners. Budget is approximately $6000 however I would like to minimize costs as much as possible in order to be able to do more with the vehicle!

Thanks in advance eh!
shayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:52 AM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne23 View Post
I'm recently purchased my 2013 Firestorm Red Scion FRS after months and months of research and after one month of driving I am 100% sure I made the right choice as i'm sure most of you know.

I am now looking into different tuner ideas and was looking at currently getting a large black rear wing as well as grabbing a hood with grates (both will probably be carbon fiber) I am a definate newb on here and could really use some advice in how to tune my new baby up as well as some locations on where to purchase and install the new tuners. Budget is approximately $6000 however I would like to minimize costs as much as possible in order to be able to do more with the vehicle!

Thanks in advance eh!
Work out how much gain you want, there are no big gains if you don't go boosted turbo/supercharger.

no boost max gain about 40hp with headers/exhaust and tune on E85 without E85 take off about 10 hp.

Do you want to keep your warantee

The more bits you change more likely you are to run into warantee issues with motor or drivetrain or suspension.

Do you want to be able to flash back to stock tune for dealer visits if so you will need to purchase a tuning device and cables as well as tune.

You cheapest easiest to use tuning option where your in control and can flash back to stock and is easily on-sellable if you decide on other options is an Open Flash Tablet and its $500 US and includes device and tunes for stock cars cars with headers EL/UEL and tunes for E85 if you want that.

http://www.openflashtablet.com/page3...OFT/index.html

If you find you want something more they sell quite well as they are a complete package .

Posted this in another forum may be worth a read

Tuning your BRZ GT 86 & Updating your ROM to latest factory firmware calibration
Their are many options for tuning your BRZ or GT S 86

Find yourself a competent tuner with experience on BRZ 86, they do all the work and theoretically take the responsibility if anything goes wrong

Use Brzedit www.brzedit.com (no base tunes supplied) locks/encrypts tunes can buy licence to access tunes but tuner may lock tunes to prevent access

Ecutek
(some base tunes supplied)

www.ecutek.com (some base tunes supplied) need to use ecutek tuner or do it yourself, can buy licence and calbe to do it yourself tuner may lock tunes to prevent access

OFT - Open Flash Tablet Vishnu Tuning

Use Open Flash Tunes from USA, Many tunes supplied to suit various bolt on mods. now have tunes for supercharger and turbo. they have E-tune service (as do many tuners) to correct minor problems issues) tunes and updates free for life.

OpenFlash

Do it yourself with Tactrix/Ecuflash and Romraider ie you take responsibility learn something along the way, but if it goes south it on hour head.

Tactrix

RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / RomRaider (there are some good tuning guides here)

All these options involve flashing (ie modifying) a new data/program set often referred to as a ROM to your ECU.

see here

BRZ 86 FRS ECU Information - ECU Type Flashing Learning Resetting - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

If you just want to update your factory ROM to latest calibration and dealer won't do it see here

Tactrix EcuFlash Info for BRZ 86 Rom flash and logging - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

If you want to fix/reduce the knock in a factory ROM (tune) or an OFT tune see here

Knock fix with Australian Fuel 98/100 RON - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

If you want to further improve the smoothness and drivability and fueling accuracy by scaling your MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor to suit your car or you have changed your stock intake see here

MAF Scaling - Open/Closed Loop Fueling info - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

If you want to run E85 on a stock or modded car (with appropriate tuning of course) see here

How to run E85 on stock 86 BRZ FRS with OFT tune - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

I am not a tuner and I take no responsibility however I have successfully done everything here (except for using BRzedit or Ecutek) and my car is still running much better and smoother and more power than stock with no hardware mods [IMG]http://*************/forum/images/smilies/smile.png.pagespeed.ce.HpCntQets-.png[/IMG]

Aftermarket Bits - gains aproximate

Intakes - Stock intake is good - add drop in filter for 2 or 3 HP at expense of filtration possibly.
CAI- aftermarket intakes - little or no gain over stock intake with drop in filter can upset MAF (mass air flow sensor scaling ) causing hesitation/bogging/flat spots- unless you re-tune MAF for intake unless you going boosted leave intake alone spend money elsewhere, most will not filter as well as stock filter especially if not maintained.

Catback exhaust no tune = nice sound little or no HP gain

Headers no tune- maybe 5 wheel horsepower slightly better midrange

Tune only aprox 10 Wheel horsepower gain (WHP) but better midrange and reduced torque dip

Tune plus catless headers - possibly 15-20 wheel horsepower eliminate torque dip better midrange

Tune for E85 + headers possibly 30 wheel horsepower

Completly stock car tuned for E85 aprox 20 wheel horsepower reduced torque dip better midrange

If you want more than that then look at forced induction ie turbo/supercharger.

and here

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=12

have a look in the software tuning forum

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88

Last edited by steve99; 07-25-2014 at 02:30 AM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:16 AM   #3
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Very little E85 availability in the province he lives in, so those gains won't matter to him
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

Thanks in advance eh!
do you just want to look cool driving around or do you have a desire to actually take your car to the track?

Cuz I know a way for you to spend a big chunk of that budget and have a lot of fun doing it rather than just putting shiny things on it.
Trac Toy (07-27-2014), wparsons (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Thanks in advance eh!
When you say "tuners" do you mean modifications, or do you mean a person that will tune the ECU for more power?

What's your end goal with the car (beyond just modifying it for the sake of modifying it)? Track? Show? AutoX?
Old 07-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
colHolm
Default User Title

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Oh, another one of these threads. Fun!
colHolm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colHolm For This Useful Post:
wparsons (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #7
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Cuz Fast & Furious and stupid reality shows on Speed.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
wparsons (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colHolm View Post

don't worry

if he's here just for bling then i'ma keep on walking
Old 07-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #9
KPDoubleX
❤ fr-s love ❤

Drives: 13 Asphalt Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colHolm View Post
Lol I was going to comment on his post, then you stole the words out of my mouth :P

Asphalt Scion FR-S
Enkei | Aero Jacket | BC Racing | Invida | AFE | JL Audio | Seibon | Chargespeed | Cusco | Mishimoto | Spec D |

www.themodmarket.com
KPDoubleX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #10
nocwage
MMTT

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Don't bother with trying to make more power unless you are ALREADY tracking the car and figure you can actually take advantage of it. Remember, even with full boltons you will be beat by a stock beige v6 camry in a straight line so don't spend all that money hoping to win any drag races.

If you want to go for show then spend the money there, although my opinion is the 86 is a damn sexy car already
nocwage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nocwage For This Useful Post:
Kazuya (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #11
Kazuya

Drives: Takumi
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocwage View Post
Don't bother with trying to make more power unless you are ALREADY tracking the car and figure you can actually take advantage of it. Remember, even with full boltons you will be beat by a stock beige v6 camry in a straight line so don't spend all that money hoping to win any drag races.

If you want to go for show then spend the money there, although my opinion is the 86 is a damn sexy car already
Go hard or go home.

I'm sticking with showroom vs sleeper.
Kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:15 AM   #12
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbot View Post
Very little E85 availability in the province he lives in, so those gains won't matter to him

read the post most of it refers to gas/petrol not e85
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#advice, #canada, #frs, #frstuner, #tuner