follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #58409
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo419 View Post
I bet you can figure it out. I'll give you a couple of hints.

1. it's one of very few industries where having a felony conviction an/or several DUIs is not a disqualification for working in the field.

2. until recently NO ONE would go to college to work in this industry. most people in management or ownership worked in the field for many years.

3. even still I'd say 99% of people working in this industry(field or office) didn't get into it on purpose. something else didn't work out so they ended up in it.

like myself, I was a lazy screw up right after high school. I got in because I lost my job and couldn't find anything else. then after a few years I started making some pretty good money. then before I knew it I was making so much(nothing to brag about) there is now no way I can leave and go do something else making what I make now. in fact there's a very good chance that I'll take a little pay cut with my first job after graduation.
Pimping ain't easy.

Surprisingly, a lot of blue collar jobs pay a lot better than a lot of white collar jobs. That's not usually the case, but it's often the case.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #58410
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Didn't even need a link. Just saying "a Florida man..." is a story all on it's own.
That's Hum and the toddler, right??
Old 07-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #58411
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
More and more dangerous ideas keep coming to mind. I gotta stop thinking about cars...
Old 07-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #58412
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
More and more dangerous ideas keep coming to mind. I gotta stop thinking about cars...
Just remember not to get all pissy when people say some things are a bad idea!
Old 07-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #58413
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
Don’t think about them as bad ideas. Just do it and think about them as great stories you can share here for our amusement
The Following User Says Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
Spuds (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #58414
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Just remember not to get all pissy when people say some things are a bad idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
Don’t think about them as bad ideas. Just do it and think about them as great stories you can share here for our amusement
I could list them, but they are wordy, and all my friends already think I'm indecisive (I don't, I just like ideas), so I'm not sure I want to give you guys headaches with them.

Maybe I should make a thread? (That sounds like a worse idea)
Old 07-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #58415
echo419

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,057 Times in 1,879 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Pimping ain't easy.

Surprisingly, a lot of blue collar jobs pay a lot better than a lot of white collar jobs. That's not usually the case, but it's often the case.
yeah plumbers, electricians and the like can make very good money. I have no problem paying to make sure I don't end up like Harvey Dent in the first Batman movie or be elbow deep in poop.

most of these guys make crap which is part of the problem. hard work that doesn't pay chit isn't going to attract top talent. I'm just glad I'm not in the field. got a thermostat in my office which happens to be the largest in the building. but that's just a condition of my location and position not status or anything of importance.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:26 PM   #58416
Tcoat

Quote:
yeah plumbers, electricians and the like can make very good money. I have no problem paying to make sure I don't end up like Harvey Dent in the first Batman movie or be elbow deep in poop.

most of these guys make crap which is part of the problem. hard work that doesn't pay chit isn't going to attract top talent. I'm just glad I'm not in the field. got a thermostat in my office which happens to be the largest in the building. but that's just a condition of my location and position not status or anything of importance.
I don't know about the US but here any trade that requires a license (Auto tech, electrician, plumber, gas fitter, etc) requires as much or more education and training as many white collar jobs. If you spend 4 years and tens of thousands of dollars working through an apprenticeship to obtain a journyman license why would you expect to make less than somebody in an office?

Now, if anybody can't be bothered to go through the process to get to that level and spend their whole working career as a helper then ya they are not going to make much. Sort of like the white collar guys that get a community collage diploma in philosophy or something and then complain they can't get an upper management job after working someplace for 2 years.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:54 PM   #58417
echo419

Quote:
I don't know about the US but here any trade that requires a license (Auto tech, electrician, plumber, gas fitter, etc) requires as much or more education and training as many white collar jobs. If you spend 4 years and tens of thousands of dollars working through an apprenticeship to obtain a journyman license why would you expect to make less than somebody in an office?

Now, if anybody can't be bothered to go through the process to get to that level and spend their whole working career as a helper then ya they are not going to make much. Sort of like the white collar guys that get a community collage diploma in philosophy or something and then complain they can't get an upper management job after working someplace for 2 years.
I'm not sure how all trades work but you need a license to be a lot of things like a plumber and an electrician. hell ever a barber needs one. :p however there are not such requirements in my companies field.

*Hint: we are a very very large subcontractor.

but trade schools are a lot cheaper and most offer a pretty good job placement program.

but here a lot of people that can't be bothered to try and become more than a minimum wage helper will just protest in the streets for more money. that's the closest thing to effort they will ever show. they're basically one side of the same coin as a philo major that thinks they are entitled to a six figure job when they're barley qualified to be a barista.
The Following User Says Thank You to echo419 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #58418
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I took a couple ASE auto classes in community college before getting my BA. The intellectual difficulty of getting an ASE certification was much, much lower than the difficulty of getting an AA. I don't mean to demean union training. It absolutely has value. I just don't think it's quite the same as college classes.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #58419
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I took a couple ASE auto classes in community college before getting my BA. The intellectual difficulty of getting an ASE certification was much, much lower than the difficulty of getting an AA. I don't mean to demean union training. It absolutely has value. I just don't think it's quite the same as college classes.
Not the same here. I can guarantee it. And it isn't "Union Training" as all licensed trades here are overseen by a College (not the school but the regulatory type). Comparing our licensing requirements to an ASE Certificate is like comparing having a BA to taking a highschool extra credit course.
All depends on what the BA is in as well. There are some totally valueless BAs out there.
EAGLE5 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #58420
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I bet you can figure it out. I'll give you a couple of hints.

1. it's one of very few industries where having a felony conviction an/or several DUIs is not a disqualification for working in the field.

2. until recently NO ONE would go to college to work in this industry. most people in management or ownership worked in the field for many years.

3. even still I'd say 99% of people working in this industry(field or office) didn't get into it on purpose. something else didn't work out so they ended up in it.

like myself, I was a lazy screw up right after high school. I got in because I lost my job and couldn't find anything else. then after a few years I started making some pretty good money. then before I knew it I was making so much(nothing to brag about) there is now no way I can leave and go do something else making what I make now. in fact there's a very good chance that I'll take a little pay cut with my first job after graduation.
I got it - a drug dealer ? -

humfrz
Old 07-22-2019, 02:34 PM   #58421
echo419

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I got it - a drug dealer ? -

humfrz
I could be. I have direct access to a labor force prone to drug abuse.

I'm in construction. Interior finishes to be specific. drywall to be more specific. :p

I met a girl in my financial accounting class last semester that was a construction management major. I tried to tell her not to do it. I went on for a solid 30min as to why that's a terrible idea. I don't think I got through.
humfrz (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #58422
echo419

here's an example of the dumb I deal with on a daily basis. I think I may have posted this before.
this is a picture of a picture on another phone sitting on a notepad with info of what's in the picture. he took the time to do all of this instead of sending me the pic with a description in the text or email.

I have another that I'd share but I don't feel like cropping out sensitive info. it's an invoice that I had a vendor add a $0 value line for "A basket of kittens to a good home" to see if they were even bothering to check what they were signing for. they are not. the guy receiving the order signed the ticket without even bothering to see what items were on there. so really anyone could have said they shipped us anything without actually doing it thus making a killing at our expense. if we sign for it that's all the proof they need to say we owe payment for it.
Spuds (07-22-2019)
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis