follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #239
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
I actually wanted to try that one. It's the same unit with a different front. The rooting solution I posted actually removes all the bloatware for you haha.

You should get that, and let me know how it performs. I like not having to use a dash kit and the possibility that the LEDs match the interior. Also let me know if it is indeed capacitive
@cmarks20 and @2forme I emailed the supplier trade solutions (I've had a few emails backwards and forwards) and asked if files to root the TUN21A would work with the T7019A and got a one word response - "same".

So, looks like I am going to be the guineapig and try @2forme supplied root files with the T7019A. I hate being the guineqpig but if it works I'll be rapt.

Then, I will try and get carscope working on it with my HKS OB-LINK.

Thanks @2forme for all your help by PM thus far - I might need some more help soon!

Hopefully if rooting it stuffs the unit I might be able to return it for a partial refund otherwise I would have burned $400 - oh well.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #240
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
@cmarks20 and @2forme I emailed the supplier trade solutions (I've had a few emails backwards and forwards) and asked if files to root the TUN21A would work with the T7019A and got a one word response - "same".

So, looks like I am going to be the guineapig and try @2forme supplied root files with the T7019A. I hate being the guineqpig but if it works I'll be rapt.

Then, I will try and get carscope working on it with my HKS OB-LINK.

Thanks @2forme for all your help by PM thus far - I might need some more help soon!

Hopefully if rooting it stuffs the unit I might be able to return it for a partial refund otherwise I would have burned $400 - oh well.

When you are successful the rain of thanks will come

No issue with mine other than my ipod disconnects sometimes and I found a bunch of music on it that was mine
Old 04-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #241
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
When you are successful the rain of thanks will come

No issue with mine other than my ipod disconnects sometimes and I found a bunch of music on it that was mine
I think that is "if" not "when" - scared
Old 04-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #242
Ghostmerlott

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0en1xtk View Post
im going to be using the following camera:

Amazon.com: Waterproof Car Rear Vehicle Backup View Camera High-definition Cmos 170 Degree Viewing Angle E363: Electronics

the camera has a thin mounting plate that happens to fit perfectly in the space between the 2 license plate lights on the trunk, directly below the emblem. Nice and hidden, with room behind to drill a hole for routing the wires. Ill have some pictures up once everything is finished.
Hows the camera's performance?
Ghostmerlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #243
cmarks20

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Raven)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Anyone taken a look at this one yet:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/In-dash-Head...044367&vxp=mtr

Freescale has a "demo" ROM for that Cortex A8 i.MX51 processor - it's Gingerbreak (3.2). It looks like Gingerbread, but I'm not sure. I contacted the seller, so we'll see what he/she says if/when I get a response. I also asked who the actual manufacturer is - I'm curious since they're claming the device uses the AMD Z430 graphics.

Sorry, my geek is starting to show a bit more than I expected
cmarks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmarks20 For This Useful Post:
nzer (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #244
krikke

Drives: Evo x gsr
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Hello Guys!

I registered to this forum for this particular thread so I hope you don't mind that I am not an ft86 or brz owner...

I live in Belgium (very little country in EU) and drive an X gsr.

As you may know know the gsr is equipped with a simple radio/cd unit so I am looking to replace it with an aftermarket model that also offers gps and if possible runs Torque.

I myself have been interested in the Ca-Fi 621000 unit but I find it very pricy compared to other units. Also the lack of support on the actual Ca-Fi forum itself makes me walk away from this brand.

I don't know if it's been shared already but I believe I have found a similar unit to the unit bespoken in this thread. Also the supplier gives me a bit more confidence as they actually have a bit more of a professional 'look' and mostly because they reply and help people on their forum.

They also have a nice overview of accessories and apparently they have some kind of reseller/dealer network so that might come in handy too...

Here is the link: http://www.xtrons.com/GPS-car-dvd.Html

Model TD610A

I have serious interest in this unit but unfortunately the leds are colored blue and the X's interior is completely orange/red...

Also the listed win ce systems on the website look nice, but I don't think these will support Torque?

Last edited by krikke; 04-15-2013 at 11:49 AM.
krikke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krikke For This Useful Post:
nzer (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #245
cmarks20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikke View Post
Hello Guys!

I registered to this forum for this particular thread so I hope you don't mind that I am not an ft86 or brz owner...

I live in Belgium (very little country in EU) and drive an X gsr.

As you may know know the gsr is equipped with a simple radio/cd unit so I am looking to replace it with an aftermarket model that also offers gps and if possible runs Torque.

I myself have been interested in the Ca-Fi 621000 unit but I find it very pricy compared to other units. Also the lack of support on the actual Ca-Fi forum itself makes me walk away from this brand.

I don't know if it's been shared already but I believe I have found a similar unit to the unit bespoken in this thread. Also the supplier gives me a bit more confidence as they actually have a bit more of a professional 'look' and mostly because they reply and help people on their forum.

They also have a nice overview of accessories and apparently they have some kind of reseller/dealer network so that might come in handy too...

Here is the link: http://www.xtrons.com/GPS-car-dvd.Html

Model TD610A

I have serious interest in this unit but unfortunately the leds are colored blue and the X's interior is completely orange/red...

Also the listed win ce systems on the website look nice, but I don't think these will support Torque?
Yea, that's definately WAY more professional looking! It looks like the unit @2forme is using. I'll definately have to check it out.

Torque only works on Android (as far as I know). As for the LEDs, learning to be handle with a soldering iron pays off. Replacing the LEDs in a head unit shouldn't be much different than a guage cluster - though it's a PITA.

On a side note, after looking through some initial documentation, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth-while to just build one myself. There are a couple companies that sell various hardware pretty cheap.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #246
krikke

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarks20 View Post
Torque only works on Android (as far as I know). As for the LEDs, learning to be handle with a soldering iron pays off. Replacing the LEDs in a head unit shouldn't be much different than a guage cluster - though it's a PITA.
Yes, Torque appears to be Android only.

BUT Evoscan is available for Win Ce so I may take a look into that... AND it also supports Subaru!!

http://www.evoscan.com/
Old 04-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #247
coastertrav

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm really just waiting on the Android head units to be even a year behind the phone and tablet hardware. All these just remind me of my original Droid and all the little things it used to do that I hated. Now I'm pretty sure the only things I'm going to do with it are music, pandora, gps, backup camera and torque, but I would hate to be hardware limited.
coastertrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #248
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
looks like the model linked above is a resistive screen still. The specs say it's running on 2.3.4 which could be a bonus. According to wiki 2.3.4 added:

Quote:
Open Accessory Library support. Open Accessory was introduced in 3.1 (Honeycomb) but the Open Accessory Library grants 2.3.4 added support when connecting to a USB peripheral with compatible software and a compatible application on the device[52]
Not sure exactly what that means, but it sounds like good news for potential direct USB OBD2 connection among other things.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #249
cmarks20

Garage
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
looks like the model linked above is a resistive screen still. The specs say it's running on 2.3.4 which could be a bonus. According to wiki 2.3.4 added:

Not sure exactly what that means, but it sounds like good news for potential direct USB OBD2 connection among other things.
Essentially, it allows OEMs to develop accessories for Android that utilize USB and/or Bluetooth. I'm pretty sure this library is used for communication with Bluetooth ODBII adapters. I assume though, it'll have the same problem 2forme did at first - using multiple Bluetooth devices at the same time (an ODBII adapter and a phone, for example).
Old 04-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #250
nzer

@krikke keen for you to get one and try it!

Old 04-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #251
krikke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
@krikke keen for you to get one and try it!

Hehe, seems everybody is looking for a guinea pig before actually purchasing one themselves...

Don't worry, I will order a chinese unit, but I am still in the phase of comparison...

As soon as I have found one that has all I need (android, capacitive, torque, red/orange leds), I will order one. I regulary import containers on a monthly base so I can easily add one.

Last edited by krikke; 04-15-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #252
krikke

Actually the unit that Cmarks20 shared, looks nice, runs Android and has a nice GUI...
If it could run Torque, I think we have a winner here...