follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #15
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachin86 View Post
1. The gearbox is notorious for this on stock fluids and cold weather. Swapping fluids helps. I tried Redline and Motul, and prefer the Motul. I still use RedLine for motor oil.

2. Normal. Clutch in when this happens since you probably don't want to downshift into 1st or lug the engine.

3. No experience on this one.

4. This is the single greatest "mod" I've done to this car. I immediately got more feedback from the clutch. I bought an MTEC spring thinking I would swap it, but once I pulled out the stock one and drove around, I didn't want to go back to having a spring. Try it. You can always stick the spring back in.

Oh yeah I didn’t think about Motul, if you preferred that over Redline I may go that route. I’m using Mobil1 for motor oil.

It’s good to know that particular sound isn’t something wrong with my car. We all know the twins are full of fun sounds.

Ok I will try the spring assist removal The clutch feel is so vague at times. I was just worried about driving in heavy traffic without the assist spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #16
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,557 Times in 18,948 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Leave the spring installed and do the slave cyl. swap. It's not the panacea but it does shorten that vague region. The spring only affects pedal weight.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #17
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My transmission used to be pretty smooth, and I assumed all these crunchy shifts people talked about were operator error.

Then I lost an engine when the oil pump gear came apart and had it replaced under warranty.

When they put it together at the dealer, the transmission immediately felt different. It was the exact same transmission (it never left the car when the engine was out), but now gears 3 and 5 are crunchy on downshifts and 6th gear whines on the highway. The tech at my dealership rode with me, listened to the crunch downshifting into 3rd and said it's "normal" for the transmissions Subaru uses.

That was nearly 40K miles ago. Transmission is still crunchy, but it hasn't gotten any worse.

So I suspect--although I have no real evidence to support it--that there's something going on with the way the transmission is mounted in relation to the engine. Something isn't aligned 100% perfectly, or something is torqued slightly crooked to put stress where it shouldn't be. There's no other way I can think of to explain why my transmission would be silky smooth with one engine and crunchy after being unbolted and bolted back up to a different engine.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 02:47 PM   #18
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Well it isn't actually a Subaru gearbox it is an Aisin AZ6 so comparing it to the rest is meaningless. No doubt somebody will correct me if wrong but I do not believe any other Subarus use Aisin.

It is a notchy tranny that likes things warm and shifts to be pretty precise. I personally don't think this is a bad thing at all.

It makes tractor noises all the time.

I have grown so used to the clutch feel that now others feel weird to me. @Ultramaroon has a slave swap that my interest you though.

I *think* the manual in my WRX was an Aisin also, but I’m not sure which one. I had a 2002 WRX.

You’re right it’s very precise, and it has some quirks. I’ve driven a S2000 and a FD RX-7 and both of those cars felt similar to the FR-S. The Honda seemed a little smoother though. A fluid change might be all I need.

LOL I’m glad the tractor sounds are normal. This is a fun little car that’s for sure.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Nope

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._transmissions
JesseG (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #20
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
Get rid of the crappy TRD shift knob, it's too light and makes the shifts crunchier than stock.

Stick with the stock knob or you can try the newer STI knob thats a bit taller and heavier for more leverage. It's a really nicely made shifter. I've tried a bunch of shift knobs and always go back to the one it came with. Just feels the best to me. The newer red one that came with the tS i believe is the one i use. nicer leather and the red pops.

Only issues i really have with the transmission is you need to be a little bit firm with it. Only times i've ever had "grinding" is when im tired or just lazily shifting. I've replaced the trans oil with motul and it's probably due again soon.

I spent a lot on that crappy shift knob It’s a lot lighter than I was expecting though.
Sometimes I feel like I can use the lightest pressure to click into gear, and I never force it into a gear. I would really like the tS knob I’m sure, the extra weight probably helps.

I’ve also realized if you get lazy with this car, it will let you know. It’s forgiving in a lot of ways, but you feel everything, every rattle and vibration. And I need to try Motul.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #21
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,134 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
all normal stuff discussed a trillion times already and especially whenever the cold weather arrives...besides the colder temps, 1-2 shift requires precise shifting in general but especially due to the reverse gate which seems to get snagged during the throw. pulling the lever to a neutral position then going into 2nd (no need to double clutch) seems to work better when cold but I've gotten crunchy shifts from time to time. usually I just go 1st to 3rd until the car warms up then I can bang 1-2 all day with no complaints.. nothing to do with the synchros or trans fluid like so many like to think so..
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:07 PM   #22
arkanist

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited, Stock
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I run the IRP short shifter and love it. Beware though, some people get really bad rattles with it. Also i took the clutch spring out after a couple months and haven't looked back. I got in a car with the spring and thought the clutch was fucked up lol
arkanist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arkanist For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #23
JesseG

El Manuel Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post

Very cool!! I need to look up what my WRX had.

*It looks like it was a Subaru unit? Do they make transmissions themselves?

Old 11-01-2019, 03:20 PM   #24
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Leave the spring installed and do the slave cyl. swap. It's not the panacea but it does shorten that vague region. The spring only affects pedal weight.

That seems like the best option, I want to reduce the vague bite point.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:28 PM   #25
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,597 Times in 2,935 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
1. I do experience some crunch when it's really cold. But once it's warmed up it's smooth. I feel the '17 is better than my '13.

2. There is a 'tractor' sound but it's mostly drowned out by the full exhaust I have and its quite pleasing to my ears. The only woman who seems to like the sound is my mom? lol

3. I have the STI currently and it's minimal change but I like it. I had the shitty TRD shortened linkage thing. It was garbage and the bolt kept backing out. I know some have had success. I'd just leave it stock if you don't want to spend money. I know the weight of a shift knob can make a difference. I flip flop between weighted and light weight like the TRD.

4. I've heard good things about removing the spring. I haven't done it because I've gotten used to the clutch as it is.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 03:31 PM   #26
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
My transmission used to be pretty smooth, and I assumed all these crunchy shifts people talked about were operator error.

Then I lost an engine when the oil pump gear came apart and had it replaced under warranty.

When they put it together at the dealer, the transmission immediately felt different. It was the exact same transmission (it never left the car when the engine was out), but now gears 3 and 5 are crunchy on downshifts and 6th gear whines on the highway. The tech at my dealership rode with me, listened to the crunch downshifting into 3rd and said it's "normal" for the transmissions Subaru uses.

That was nearly 40K miles ago. Transmission is still crunchy, but it hasn't gotten any worse.

So I suspect--although I have no real evidence to support it--that there's something going on with the way the transmission is mounted in relation to the engine. Something isn't aligned 100% perfectly, or something is torqued slightly crooked to put stress where it shouldn't be. There's no other way I can think of to explain why my transmission would be silky smooth with one engine and crunchy after being unbolted and bolted back up to a different engine.

I’m sorry to hear about your original engine dying. That’s always a fear of mine after any big mechanical replacement or repair. You have to learn a new “normal” which is frustrating. Does temperature affect the gear changes? Have you tried different brand fluids?

Old 11-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #27
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,332 Times in 1,348 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Did none of you guys test drive the AT?

*Click*
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019), NWFRS (11-01-2019), TunaNoCrust (11-01-2019), Ultramaroon (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #28
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
all normal stuff discussed a trillion times already and especially whenever the cold weather arrives...besides the colder temps, 1-2 shift requires precise shifting in general but especially due to the reverse gate which seems to get snagged during the throw. pulling the lever to a neutral position then going into 2nd (no need to double clutch) seems to work better when cold but I've gotten crunchy shifts from time to time. usually I just go 1st to 3rd until the car warms up then I can bang 1-2 all day with no complaints.. nothing to do with the synchros or trans fluid like so many like to think so..

Yeah when I have the time to go back in neutral and shift into gear again it’s usually very smooth. I find it hard to believe the synchros or fluid wouldn’t have anything to do with the transmission behavior?