follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #15
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMeeple View Post
Another quality video...funny, informative and critically approached. Thank you for the time and effort and sharing this with all.
Thanks glad to share the experience and that it brings something to the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhatch View Post
When your first video came out I'll admit I was a bit put off by your approach, and your unkind words about the car. I was still in a honeymoon phase with my car and the blasphemous words spewing forth were from none other than the devil himself.

Now I see a new post from you and know that I'm going to get it straight, with high quality editing and reviews. It's been a journey for me with this car and I'm glad that I've got to watch your progress along the way. Thanks for all the vid's so far, looking forward to more.
Happy you were able to look past some of the inflammatory sacrasm and appreciate the time we spent on the project. Never wanted to troll just wanted to add quality content.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:52 AM   #16
brianL.

Drives: BRZ/1J Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
another great video! thanks man and congrats on the awesome coilovers. I watched your videos before buying my BRZ and I felt you were spot on with just about everything.I also enjoy your videos because they give you a whole other view on what it acutely takes to modify a car (like all the head aches) Thanks again!!
brianL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL. View Post
another great video! thanks man and congrats on the awesome coilovers. I watched your videos before buying my BRZ and I felt you were spot on with just about everything.I also enjoy your videos because they give you a whole other view on what it acutely takes to modify a car (like all the head aches) Thanks again!!
Glad to hear this feedback. Somethings just go smooth and I love it. But I swear almost every mod has some type of issue when changing major components. In the case of the Ohlins really there was nothing wrong with the kit, but in our case we were the problem.

It has to be hard for vendors and manufactures to straddle this line.
Once their product ships they have no idea who installs it and if it is right.
There are plenty of variables, but one thing is for sure support is everything. So is documentation.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #18
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Assembling all of the parts took less than 2 hours after triple checking the Swedish based instructions. They make sense but not exactly what you would call overtly clear. It required extra care reading the owners manual and separate setup guide to get all the info you needed.
From my own review/install:

Note: for anyone interested in these, the instructions are a bit wrong. The front/rear shock body uses a 6mm/5mm hex key to hold the shock shaft in place when tightening the upper nut. The instructions tell you to use a 5mm/4mm front/rear hex key.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (01-02-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #19
Totality

Drives: gt-86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Best ROI

I installed my Ohlins a few weeks ago. It is the most satisfying of all the mods so far. Instantly steering feel, ride, and handling are like a +$70k car. Best 3k I have spent. I do not have time or expertise to fine tune a suspension. Finding a suspension expert in Taiwan is like trying to finding a comb in a Buddhist monastery.

People ride in the car and say I thought you put in coilovers? If your not busting your kidneys they must not be good dampers.

The highways here are a little freer so I often see 160~180km/hr. They are smooth and do not bottom out or rattle the car over the very nasty expansion strips. One my daily mountain commute they are bliss.

Only complaint is occasional short wheelbase front/back bucking but it is subtle and I think I can dial it out after a little more experience.

It will be another couple months before I get it on the track.
Totality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Totality For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (01-02-2014), Pizzman (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 01:50 AM   #20
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totality View Post
I installed my Ohlins a few weeks ago. It is the most satisfying of all the mods so far. Instantly steering feel, ride, and handling are like a +$70k car. Best 3k I have spent. I do not have time or expertise to fine tune a suspension. Finding a suspension expert in Taiwan is like trying to finding a comb in a Buddhist monastery.

People ride in the car and say I thought you put in coilovers? If your not busting your kidneys they must not be good dampers.

The highways here are a little freer so I often see 160~180km/hr. They are smooth and do not bottom out or rattle the car over the very nasty expansion strips. One my daily mountain commute they are bliss.

Only complaint is occasional short wheelbase front/back bucking but it is subtle and I think I can dial it out after a little more experience.

It will be another couple months before I get it on the track.
The bucking is more pronounced after the Ohlins but just a characterist I deal with as well. Thanks for the feedback. First impression by most was similar. Coilovers installed? Ride is very controlled.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:09 AM   #21
humanshield

Drives: bucket
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
been saving my pennies for this kit. this solidifies my decision. great information here. thank you.
humanshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:02 AM   #22
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,369 Times in 4,133 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
I know it's a cliché but this is a perfect example of getting what you pay for.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #23
mike156

Drives: EVO
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Good video, thanks. Ohlins is the equivalence of a BMW M car, IMO. Sure you can build the M car to perform better on track or you can go the other way and make the car better on the street....but to do both better is very difficult and costly.

I wish Ohlins would add caster adjustment to their plates though. For the amount spent, most people buying them will also be interested in caster adjustment. You get a great damper with Ebay style top mounts.

Last edited by mike156; 01-02-2014 at 01:35 PM.
mike156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #24
mgweatherly

Drives: 2014 Whiteout (37J) FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
This is a fantastic video. In fact, I find all of your videos to be incredibly informative and entertaining. I've watched virtually every one of them.

I've just recently purchased my FR-S and will be looking to "evolve" it over time. The balance that you are seeking to strike on your own car (DD civility and reliability with even more track capability) is exactly what I envision for my own car.

I imagine adding FI at some point and favor superchargers over turbochargers due to the linear power delivery of a supercharger. I would also love to add, in no particular order, exhaust (headers, over pipe, front pipe, axle or cat back), brakes, suspension, wheels/tires, various bushings,....

I've never modded any car that I've owned and frankly struggle a little with where to begin. My instinct says wheels/tires first. Like most of us, I also have to pace myself on incurring costs. Any advice?
mgweatherly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #25
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgweatherly View Post
This is a fantastic video. In fact, I find all of your videos to be incredibly informative and entertaining. I've watched virtually every one of them.

I've just recently purchased my FR-S and will be looking to "evolve" it over time. The balance that you are seeking to strike on your own car (DD civility and reliability with even more track capability) is exactly what I envision for my own car.

I imagine adding FI at some point and favor superchargers over turbochargers due to the linear power delivery of a supercharger. I would also love to add, in no particular order, exhaust (headers, over pipe, front pipe, axle or cat back), brakes, suspension, wheels/tires, various bushings,....

I've never modded any car that I've owned and frankly struggle a little with where to begin. My instinct says wheels/tires first. Like most of us, I also have to pace myself on incurring costs. Any advice?
Thanks for the nice words. Balance between street car and track car is very hard to strike.

Starting from scratch, it's the tires that make the single biggest difference on the car. Then a more aggressive brake pad. If you have an FRS on stock suspension and good tires, the Strano front ARB neutralizes oversteer. These were the biggest payouts for the least amount of money.

If you plan on doing exhaust/overpipe go with the smallest Perrin front bar.

The entire exhaust route is only going to make a big difference when doing tuning. Exhaust made almost no tangible difference in power N/A without tuning.

From there is mostly just which FI kit to go with, you will get 20 different arguments on the topic and for certain this thread is not the place for that one.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #26
Pizzman
Crap another obsession.

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Oh man those are pretty. I wouldn't choose any other coilovers.
Pizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #27
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Finally watched this video..fantastic and intriguing interview. And funny too (you guys need more patience haha.. messin up that lca )

..edit: just watched a few other vids: Really liked the 3 pat intro, the track reviews of the sc/brakes and also the brake kit overview.

No doubt Ohlins is #1 in the world for reputation. This is going to give the Tein SRC some competition as they're the same price point and will make it a tough decision... but I think Ohlins has the edge over the SRC...simply for Ohlins' reputation/history.

(and for those that might suggest KW.. who??! ..who is KW? lol.. I never heard of them 20 years ago.. not to mention their coilovers look like cheesy cheap knockoffs and colored like popsicles.)

Btw: I notice you mention the "if ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy regarding car tuning. I (and many others I am sure) admire that and would like to follow the same sense. But, doesn't adding a SC/FI totally contradict this??? Imo: simple and "if it ain't broke don't fix it" tuning would be to keep the car as stock as possible (which FI/SC definitely isn't). Or, at least keep it NA with simple, purely functional mods. FI/SC just complicates it too much for simplicity, reliability and both a DD and hobbyist track car. (didn't 2-3 people already pop their engines with conservative 250ish hp numbers?? ....FI + high comp piston + accidental lean fuel = waay too much risk for our stock engines). Just my 2 cents.

I guess there's many that are always going to want more and more power..which is understandable and reasonable since it isn't a fast car. It's all subjective I guess.

Last edited by fooddude; 01-21-2014 at 03:27 AM.
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #28
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
Finally watched this video..fantastic and intriguing interview. And funny too (you guys need more patience haha.. messin up that lca )

..edit: just watched a few other vids: Really liked the 3 pat intro, the track reviews of the sc/brakes and also the brake kit overview.

No doubt Ohlins is #1 in the world for reputation. This is going to give the Tein SRC some competition as they're the same price point and will make it a tough decision... but I think Ohlins has the edge over the SRC...simply for Ohlins' reputation/history.

(and for those that might suggest KW.. who??! ..who is KW? lol.. I never heard of them 20 years ago.. not to mention their coilovers look like cheesy cheap knockoffs and colored like popsicles.)

Btw: I notice you mention the "if ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy regarding car tuning. I (and many others I am sure) admire that and would like to follow the same sense. But, doesn't adding a SC/FI totally contradict this??? Imo: simple and "if it ain't broke don't fix it" tuning would be to keep the car as stock as possible (which FI/SC definitely isn't). Or, at least keep it NA with simple, purely functional mods. FI/SC just complicates it too much for simplicity, reliability and both a DD and hobbyist track car. (didn't 2-3 people already pop their engines with conservative 250ish hp numbers?? ....FI + high comp piston + accidental lean fuel = waay too much risk for our stock engines). Just my 2 cents.

I guess there's many that are always going to want more and more power..which is understandable and reasonable since it isn't a fast car. It's all subjective I guess.
The Ohlins is just refined and excellent all the way around. It's just a suspension setup for those with the cash that will handle whatever you throw at it.

If it aint broke don't fix it. Its true for so much. Part of this project was seeing if the aftermarket would actually fix the problems with power on this car without making it a headache. I took a risk on trying it. And went very conservative. Perrin has a good reputation on multiple platforms and understands where to draw the line. His concerns were the same as yours, high compression, high revving and boost, not a great mix.

So he built his car and tunes on the lower end of 200HP and thus far the car was track proven, no issues with UOA. But that's the thing for 5k, most people are going to want more that 60-70HP.

For me its a mixed bag, and so is modifying it.