follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-17-2020, 04:22 PM   #1
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Opinion on adding universal lip to splitter>down force

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232806953946

So I was thinking today: what if you added a cheap flexible "lip" to a splitter (I have Verus race splitter) to reduce distance to the ground? I understand the closer you can get the splitter to the ground, the more effective it is. Seems like this lip could be used to direct air flow. It could be placed far enough back that you won't really see it at all so visually it wouldn't make any impact. But still be cheap and flexible in case you rip it off on a curb or dead raccoon. Thoughts?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:12 PM   #2
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
There is a difference between an air dam and a splitter. Remember that a splitter develops down force and needs strong support and has to stick out in front of the car.. Double sided tape is not going to stay stuck. A dam under the front with out side skirts will do very little.

In short this plan will do nothing, except lower your clearance.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #3
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
LOL

That stuff is for the bottom of garage roller doors, and other areas that need a rubber weather strip.

It will do nothing, despite good marketing.

Disclaimer: it will add 10kw to a Honda Civic
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Mr.ac (08-21-2020), Tcoat (08-20-2020), YamahaR86 (08-19-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #4
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I would just wait for Verus to release their air dam for the FRS. That way you can gain the extra downforce you are looking for without sacrificing ride clearance. A splitter is actually pretty dang ineffective without an air dam that is fully sealed to the splitter.

You can always add the brz air dam, it doesn’t look 100% at home on the frs, but it does still do its job.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:44 AM   #5
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
On a side note, the previous owner of my car added those as side skirts. Looks very sharp!
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
I would just wait for Verus to release their air dam for the FRS. That way you can gain the extra downforce you are looking for without sacrificing ride clearance. A splitter is actually pretty dang ineffective without an air dam that is fully sealed to the splitter.

You can always add the brz air dam, it doesn’t look 100% at home on the frs, but it does still do its job.
Verus seems to think their splitter is pretty effective without an air dam

Old 08-19-2020, 01:07 PM   #7
norcalpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Verus seems to think their splitter is pretty effective without an air dam

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profess...downforce/amp/

“Next, we will discuss an often overlooked and a critical piece of your splitter system, the air dam. The air dam is the vertical part of your splitter that attaches perpendicularly to your main splitter plane and parallel to your bumper. We see many splitters that do not feature this part. If you’re one of the offending people, you’re really hurting your performance.

The air dam’s primary goal is to efficiently create a high-pressure zone on the area of your splitter that’s exposed in front of your bumper. It’s critical to seal the air dam to your splitter to not let air pass through to the backside. What we see are gaps left in this area, allowing air to bleed above the splitter and below the bumper. This hurts the high-pressure zone, increases drag by not efficiently moving air around and over the vehicle, and hampers cooling performance by not forcing air towards intercoolers, air filters, oil coolers and radiators (and potentially allowing the air to get to the backsides of these cooling systems, hurting performance even more!). Your air dam should seal tightly to your splitter and bumper to control the air as much as possible.”
Old 08-19-2020, 01:42 PM   #8
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/profess...downforce/amp/

“Next, we will discuss an often overlooked and a critical piece of your splitter system, the air dam. The air dam is the vertical part of your splitter that attaches perpendicularly to your main splitter plane and parallel to your bumper. We see many splitters that do not feature this part. If you’re one of the offending people, you’re really hurting your performance.

The air dam’s primary goal is to efficiently create a high-pressure zone on the area of your splitter that’s exposed in front of your bumper. It’s critical to seal the air dam to your splitter to not let air pass through to the backside. What we see are gaps left in this area, allowing air to bleed above the splitter and below the bumper. This hurts the high-pressure zone, increases drag by not efficiently moving air around and over the vehicle, and hampers cooling performance by not forcing air towards intercoolers, air filters, oil coolers and radiators (and potentially allowing the air to get to the backsides of these cooling systems, hurting performance even more!). Your air dam should seal tightly to your splitter and bumper to control the air as much as possible.”
So with the current Verus splitter format an air dam would simple ***** up the tiny gap between the bumper and splitter. Ideally it would move the splitter closer to the ground as the height of the air dam increases. If Verus is currently claiming X pounds of down force at 100mph then adding an air dam would simply increase that number.

I suppose that still doesn't address the original question which was in essence: if you increase splitter thickness (by adding some shit to the bottom) does it decrease the effective height of that splitter? Seems like most commenters are more hung up on the material bring proposed than the actual goal. This article you linked looks very useful though

Old 08-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #9
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
That setup would have a lifespan of about 3 miles and 1 gas station entrance on the street plus it isn't the way to approach thing as others have mentioned
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
norcalpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
So with the current Verus splitter format an air dam would simple ***** up the tiny gap between the bumper and splitter. Ideally it would move the splitter closer to the ground as the height of the air dam increases. If Verus is currently claiming X pounds of down force at 100mph then adding an air dam would simply increase that number.

I suppose that still doesn't address the original question which was in essence: if you increase splitter thickness (by adding some shit to the bottom) does it decrease the effective height of that splitter? Seems like most commenters are more hung up on the material bring proposed than the actual goal. This article you linked looks very useful though

Well the Verus air dam bolts to the splitter so the splitter ground clearance remains the same.

But to answer your original question, yes, theoretically a low pressure area would be created behind the “lip” that you want to add, which might increase flow below the splitter. Having your effective splitter setup lower to the ground should make more down force, but I would think you’d want the lowest point of the splitter to be at the very front so unfortunately you’d have to see the material you want to buy.

I am not an engineer I just find this stuff really interesting.

So if your goal is to increase flow below the splitter, (I assume you already have the Verus splitter veins) look into replacing them with splitter diffusers. These massively increase downforce.

Old 08-19-2020, 11:56 PM   #11
Ashikabi

Well maybe you guys will entertain more questions... How does an air dam and a lip differ? Seems like anything that kinda fills the gap between the splitter and the bumper would work right?

Also, flat bottoms... If you added strakes to a flat bottom, shouldn't that help smooth any turbulence under the car?

Old 08-20-2020, 04:56 AM   #12
Purist

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
https://nasaspeed.news/tech/aero/air...e-whole-point/

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
x808drifter (08-20-2020)