follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2016, 12:57 AM   #1
SmartedPanda

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited Manual. 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Spray on Wax

Hey Guys,

I posted this on reddit too.

Suggestions for spray-on wax for white? I park in an area with ton of Sun and pollen/sap.

I want something that is high protectant, gloss isn't a goal for me.

Optimum Spray on Wax https://smile.amazon.com/Optimum-SW2...ray%2Bwax&th=1
or

Meguiar's D15601 X-Press? https://smile.amazon.com/Meguiars-D1...imum+spray+wax
[| Blox 490 Knob | Mishimoto Silicon Intake | K&N Filter | DD Always-On DRL | Tomei 60S | Weather Tech | RED USDM TOM's Tail Lights | OEM Underbody Panels | Intec High Mount Brake | RexSpeed Heated Wide Mirrors | TC105N 17x9 | Super Sport 245/40R17 |TRD Quickshifter | Porsche Brake Air Duct | TRD Sliding Armrest| OEM Knee Pads | MTEC Shifter Springs| WRX OEM Oil Cooler| Generic PVC Catch Can|]
SmartedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #2
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Optimum Spray Wax is what I use every few months. Easy to use & get Optimum Instant Detailer as well which provides more slick & gloss. I buy the concentrated instant detailer & mix with distilled water. The one bottle lasts for a year! I keep a bottle of it in my car to use for bird crap droppings. I buy both from Amazon. Just my 2 cents! 😎

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86geek For This Useful Post:
SmartedPanda (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm about to buy the gallon of X-Press Spray Wax, which apparently is the same as meguiar's normal spray was, just better value. I've had really good results with their spray wax, works really good for maintaining a full wax job.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
SmartedPanda (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
SmartedPanda

I forgot to mention that I want a carnauba wax alternative or substitute. I can only do it maybe once a year beccause it takes up so much time. I want something that'll add a layer of protection and easy to do since I'm willing to wipe down/wash my car once a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
I'm about to buy the gallon of X-Press Spray Wax, which apparently is the same as meguiar's normal spray was, just better value. I've had really good results with their spray wax, works really good for maintaining a full wax job.
- How's the general protection? Do you feel it's adequate enough? I park with heavy pollen, sap and straight California Sun!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
Optimum Spray Wax is what I use every few months. Easy to use & get Optimum Instant Detailer as well which provides more slick & gloss. I buy the concentrated instant detailer & mix with distilled water. The one bottle lasts for a year! I keep a bottle of it in my car to use for bird crap droppings. I buy both from Amazon. Just my 2 cents! ��
- I have ONR, that's why this caught my eye. I'm still using up the rest of my eco-smart by CG before I start using ONR. Might do ONR > then EcoSmart for a quick wax, then Optimum Spray Wax for added/proper wax.

How is it on black parts of the car like the rubber and dark parts?
[| Blox 490 Knob | Mishimoto Silicon Intake | K&N Filter | DD Always-On DRL | Tomei 60S | Weather Tech | RED USDM TOM's Tail Lights | OEM Underbody Panels | Intec High Mount Brake | RexSpeed Heated Wide Mirrors | TC105N 17x9 | Super Sport 245/40R17 |TRD Quickshifter | Porsche Brake Air Duct | TRD Sliding Armrest| OEM Knee Pads | MTEC Shifter Springs| WRX OEM Oil Cooler| Generic PVC Catch Can|]
Old 10-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #5
Tenino

Drives: 13' BRZ
I can only chime in on Meguiar's D15601 X-Press Spray Wax as I have not used ON's wax before.

The BRZ gets a full detail twice a year, one in the fall before winter storms and another toward the end of spring when rains have stopped.

In between the two full details that consist of polish/compound/sealant/wax, I use Meguiar's X-Press Spray Wax after each wash.
**I typically wash my car every two weeks**

Pros on this spray wax:
1) Smells good
2) Can be applied to the entire exterior (Glass + Plastics), interior trim/plastics also.
3) Doesn't stain plastics white like your normal wax.
4) Priced fairly cheap
5) Wax longevity is amazing.
Tenino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:10 PM   #6
Tenino

Drives: 13' BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartedPanda View Post
I forgot to mention that I want a carnauba wax alternative or substitute. I can only do it maybe once a year beccause it takes up so much time. I want something that'll add a layer of protection and easy to do since I'm willing to wipe down/wash my car once a month.

- How's the general protection? Do you feel it's adequate enough? I park with heavy pollen, sap and straight California Sun!
Thanks.

- I have ONR, that's why this caught my eye. I'm still using up the rest of my eco-smart by CG before I start using ONR. Might do ONR > then EcoSmart for a quick wax, then Optimum Spray Wax for added/proper wax.

How is it on black parts of the car like the rubber and dark parts?

Regardless of product, you should think in this manner. The longer fallout sits on your paint, the tougher it is to remove it.

My current catless setup deposits soot on the rear quarter panel/bumper/trunk after 3 to 4 days, much more noticeable by the second week. With X-Press wax applied, I use the pressure washer (electric type) and 90% of the soot is gone with one pass. The last 5% is removed via microfiber mitt/soap which requires almost no pressure. Hopefully that paints a picture as on the protection offered by X-Press wax.

^ See above post on black/plastic trim staining.
Tenino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:50 PM   #7
radroach

@SmartedPanda no I don't think doing once a year maintenance with a spray wax is enough. If sap is a problem then your wash / wax process is going to be more urgent. And the whole time factor is such a cop out, it takes 30 minutes to fully wax this car after a wash.

Spray wax is more of a maintenance wax, it's super thin. And while using spray wax is faster than regular waxing, it's much faster to use after you've applied a base coat of wax first. In fact all wash / clean processes are faster after having a base coat of wax. I recommend using the spray wax after every wash though, it's worth it.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #8
radroach

@SmartedPanda protection all depends on the environment factor. I can have my car's look last for weeks if it doesn't rain and if I avoid construction site / yard work dust. But if it rains and gets dusty / polleny then it fades pretty quick. That's why I recommend using the spray wax after every wash (after first applying a base coat of wax).
Old 10-17-2016, 10:08 PM   #9
SmartedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
@SmartedPanda protection all depends on the environment factor. I can have my car's look last for weeks if it doesn't rain and if I avoid construction site / yard work dust. But if it rains and gets dusty / polleny then it fades pretty quick. That's why I recommend using the spray wax after every wash (after first applying a base coat of wax).
So, you method/mentality is that it should be touch-up, on-going "repair" of my cabana wax?

How about syntheticwax? Any recommends for synthetic? I think it's also called sealant?

I want longer protection then shine/gloss.

Thanks for your input and bumps
Old 10-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #10
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
carnuba wax is good, but it doesn't last as long as some other synthetic waxes. I would say a good carnuba wax would last a month or two while some other waxes/sealants would last up to half a year. regardless, I still use carnuba wax on every other car wash I do while I use a detailer sealant spray on the washes I don't wax. I only wash my car once it gets dirty and not on a schedule like other people though. I park in a garage so it works out well for me. it probably averages out to about once every month to two months.

I use this wax: https://www.amazon.com/P21S-12700W-C...&keywords=p21s
and this sealant: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-18-2016, 12:03 AM   #11
radroach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartedPanda View Post
So, you method/mentality is that it should be touch-up, on-going "repair" of my cabana wax?
Yes, that is the mentality of using a spray wax, is that it maintains your wax or sealant coating as it wears down. The spray wax in a gallon you're looking at is a good value, make sure you get a good bottle sprayer and stacks of microfibers. And maybe a funnel, its hard to pour from those gallon things.

Sealants should be your base for protection. You want to start with a perfectly clean car (washed, clay barred, iron-x'd, dual-action compounded) before applying your sealant. I've used Meguiar's Ultimate Wax which is synthetic, in both paste and liquid. Both are good kits and the included microfiber is nice. I prefer the liquid over the paste because there's less chance of contamination over time. You should thoroughly clean and reapply sealants maybe once every year maybe more.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:37 AM   #12
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
If you're looking at just waxing once or twice year then invest in getting your car ceramic coated with Optimum Opticoat Pro or their new one called Gloss Coat. It's the best $400.00 I spent on my car. Makes washing the car so much easier as the water just sheets off the car. You won't need to wax at all if that's what you don't wanna do often. More slick and gloss just use Optimum Instant Detailer. My car is in the sun 24/7 as I have no garage and sits out at work as well.

Take a look at the Optimum forum.

http://optimumforums.org/

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:40 AM   #13
tooslow4umayne

Drives: 2016 frs
Garage
Just putting in my 2 cents. I use meguires products. However I do it on a regular basis. ( the spray wax that is) you can pick it up at your local automotive store. It's pretty good ( in my opinion) and works great to get small amounts of dirt , grime and pollen off. I always have a bottle on me. Maybe $15 + a pack of microfiber. Not a 1 year shine but last you atleast a week or two
tooslow4umayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:38 PM   #14
NLS8520

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If I had to only rely on a spray wax to protect my car I would 100% go with Optimum Spray Wax, and here is why. First and most importantly Optimum Spray Wax has 2 patents for UV protection. As I am sure you know UV damage is a major contributor to clear coat failure. I find the product extremely easy to apply, takes about 15 minutes with two microfiber towels, one "wet" from product and one "dry" to buff. I easily think you could apply it after every wash in 15 mins time and a benefit you can apply the product to all trim and molding's as well to protect them.

Last edited by NLS8520; 10-18-2016 at 12:57 PM.
NLS8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NLS8520 For This Useful Post:
86geek (10-19-2016)