follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 09-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
zkahle

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Spec D Td Style Rear Lip - Opinions???

So someone managed to hit my car while I was parallel parked in DT Austin, nontheless I need to have the car sent to a body shop to fix the damage or cover the damaged area with a body kit. I have look at prior threads and the repair price for the abs plastic to be sanded down and repainted comes close to $500.

Instead of going to a body shop i was thinking of spending my money on something like the Spec D Td style rear lip or the Seibon Td style rear lip, now obviously the Seibon product is almost triple in price. I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with or seen the Spec D lip installed on a car. the link for the Spec D is http://www.specdtuning.com/lbr-frs12td-pu.html

I would love anyones opinion as to what the most cost effective fix would be. Or if it is worth spending the extra money to add the kit and get a quad tip exhaust.
Attached Images

zkahle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #2
kchar
Because Racecar

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I take it the other person doesn't have insurance or they're not willing to payout without getting a lawyer involved so its either let time heal your wounds or like you said, cover it up. Here's a video of an install that shows how body work is always more in-depth than sticking something on; [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvul5h5px0Q"]GT86 Mods #10 - Carbon Fibre Diffuser & Rear Light - YouTube[/ame].

You can go to 7:45 where the issue with the diffuser comes into play.
kchar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kchar For This Useful Post:
zkahle (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
zkahle

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
The other person did it while I was away and didnt leave a note... Also I dont want to use my insurance as I am only 21 and dont want to hike up my rates for the future. Thanks. Any opinions with regards to the Spec D lip?
zkahle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:57 AM   #4
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
I say do it!! But how does it mount without looking like it was just bolted on? I don't like that look TBH.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
zkahle (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
kchar
Because Racecar

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Ah a hit and run. I think its a good excuse to get an upgrade but tbh, most people on here would just let it be. Once you get in the driver seat your worries should slip away anyways.
As far as the Spec D lip itself, I'm sure it can be fitted with some sanding and using screws like in the video. It'll just be a PITA, ha.
kchar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kchar For This Useful Post:
zkahle (09-30-2015)