follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
retrosmiths

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I may have solved my shifting issues..

Ever since I got my stick FR-S, I've always had these problems with shifting:
  1. Clunking noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd regardless of RPM
  2. It takes a while for me to upshift because I'm afraid of jerking the transmission, because...
  3. Sometimes, the car jerks when I'm going from 1-2 or 2-3.

I was driving to work today and I was thinking about that post regarding clutch engagement points.

A - - - - B - - - - - - - - C

A = foot off clutch
B = clutch engagement point
C = clutch fully depressed

I realized that whenever I shift up or down, I always do it at C. So I experimented with different positions from B to C and found a good point (*) where I can shift fast, the tranny won't clunk and the car won't jerk.

A - - - - B - - - * - - - - C

Now, I just don't know if this will be good for the clutch long-term. I'm not revving high at the * point, and I certainly know for sure that I am shifting a lot smoother than before. Opinions?
spgrizz22 (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosmiths View Post
Ever since I got my stick FR-S, I've always had these problems with shifting:
  1. Clunking noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd regardless of RPM
  2. It takes a while for me to upshift because I'm afraid of jerking the transmission, because...
  3. Sometimes, the car jerks when I'm going from 1-2 or 2-3.

I was driving to work today and I was thinking about that post regarding clutch engagement points.

A - - - - B - - - - - - - - C

A = foot off clutch
B = clutch engagement point
C = clutch fully depressed

I realized that whenever I shift up or down, I always do it at C. So I experimented with different positions from B to C and found a good point (*) where I can shift fast, the tranny won't clunk and the car won't jerk.

A - - - - B - - - * - - - - C

Now, I just don't know if this will be good for the clutch long-term. I'm not revving high at the * point, and I certainly know for sure that I am shifting a lot smoother than before. Opinions?
I think I'm going to swap to some Pentosin or Redline for a more longterm fix. I know exactly what you are talking about and many have reported swapping out the transmission and differential oils have fixed it and made shifting smoother.

I try to keep my foot off the clutch as much as possible between shifts. I experience these same issues as you, but I don't think we should have to change how we shift to compensate. I think the oil swap will be the biggest gain.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
retrosmiths

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about and many have reported swapping out the transmission and differential oils have fixed it and made shifting smoother.
Link to this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
brzadmir

Drives: 13' BRZ, 05' 325xi, 02' RAV4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hey man I experienced the same problems your having when I first got my BRZ. In all honestly man, I was ready to swap out clutches with a heavier clutch because i figured it was impossible. Constantly jerking motions, the clutch was feather light and coming from heavier clutches I could not get use to it and hated it. After putting 1XXX miles on it, I can say the clutch is awesome(a little more feel would be better but work with what your given). My shifts are all smooth just level out shifts with the gas pedal, as your coming off the clutch in between shifts gradually give it gas so you smooth out the shift. Time my friend will get you to become one with the car, i have no complaints on the gearbox or clutch anymore. Give yourself a little longer and youll be in my shoes!
brzadmir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brzadmir For This Useful Post:
Mikem53 (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Adeets
OEDC

Drives: Vortech 8.5psi 274WHP 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I got a cf driveshaft, I dunno how it changed it but there is no clunk anymore, it's buttery smooth, at all revs.
Adeets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adeets For This Useful Post:
Pete (05-21-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
retrosmiths

I'm already at 1,2xx miles.

I wonder if this is bad for the clutch since it's not fully engaged at that point.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosmiths View Post
Link to this?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...light=Pentosin
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzadmir View Post
Hey man I experienced the same problems your having when I first got my BRZ. In all honestly man, I was ready to swap out clutches with a heavier clutch because i figured it was impossible. Constantly jerking motions, the clutch was feather light and coming from heavier clutches I could not get use to it and hated it. After putting 1XXX miles on it, I can say the clutch is awesome(a little more feel would be better but work with what your given). My shifts are all smooth just level out shifts with the gas pedal, as your coming off the clutch in between shifts gradually give it gas so you smooth out the shift. Time my friend will get you to become one with the car, i have no complaints on the gearbox or clutch anymore. Give yourself a little longer and youll be in my shoes!
I am approaching 1K miles.. and my shifter has loosened up some and it engages gears
smoother and I dont get the 2nd gear syncro "miss" anymore. Its still notchy when cold.. but its getting better with each drive.. I did adjust the clutch engagement point so it grabs lower to the floor.. that made a nice difference for less jerky shifts .
My last car took several thousand miles before the manual felt broken in..
It gets better with use and time.. Good post..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikem53 For This Useful Post:
retrosmiths (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
This is kind of confusing to me. Do you guys just try to push the shifter into the gear your going to, "hard and fast" ? For daily driving, you should be kind of pushing it towards the gate of the gear you want but it's a gentle motion and when the synchros are aligned just right, you can feel when it wants to go right into gear.

I say try slowing down your shift until you fully realize the "slotting in" of the gear at proper revs.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:12 AM   #10
retrosmiths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
This is kind of confusing to me. Do you guys just try to push the shifter into the gear your going to, "hard and fast" ? For daily driving, you should be kind of pushing it towards the gate of the gear you want but it's a gentle motion and when the synchros are aligned just right, you can feel when it wants to go right into gear.

I say try slowing down your shift until you fully realize the "slotting in" of the gear at proper revs.
This isn't really about the shifter movement, but rather on the proper timing and foot pressure to apply on the clutch pedal.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #11
kchkwan

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I was experiencing jerks from 1st to 2ns during the first three weeks of driving (first time manual too). Slowly i began to depress and shift simultaneously, and smoothly letting go of the clutch. Then i started noticing that almost all the gears, except 1st to 2nd, you can let go of the clutch as fast as you can as long as your full release of the clutch is between 2900rpm and 3100. Now I've stop paying attention to the rev meter and just shift as fast as i can, by all means, i mean stepping on the clutch as fast as i can and shifting towards the next gear as soon as the clutch is fully pressed down, making the two motions only a split millisecond diff. While obviously releasing the clutch immediately after the shift, but smoothly. Imo i think the faster you drive, or the higher the rev you go, the faster you should shift to keep smooth, cuz i think the synchronizer is what makes the car jerky to match your shift and rev.
kchkwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #12
Pete

Drives: 22 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeets View Post
I got a cf driveshaft, I dunno how it changed it but there is no clunk anymore, it's buttery smooth, at all revs.
I've been eyeing the DSS one hard, do you have a thread up about it? I'd like to hear more of your thoughts.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeets View Post
Can you do a write-up/review of the CF driveshaft? Does it make driving easier?
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
Adeets
OEDC

Drives: Vortech 8.5psi 274WHP 2013 BRZ
@Pete @radroach

Cf driveshaft review
Waiting on pics
Adeets is offline   Reply With Quote