follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-20-2022, 10:28 AM   #1
autoracer86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
SSC Koni yellows with TRD springs

So I have an opportunity to get my hands on ssc koni yellows with trd springs when I told a trusted autox/track buddy of mine he said they are worst then oem in terms of how they ride on the street....

He was not sure if that was due to the eibach springs or not.... Being that this is NOT going to be a class build or a car used for competition but a street car that will see some track days road comfort is important.

So for the people that have experience with this combo please let me know how it rides on the street and what bump stops if any are you running thanks

autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:28 AM   #2
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,472 Times in 767 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
In North America the TRD springs are Eibach Pro-Kit springs... The same as SSC

Changing the bumpstops for something better would be good, the SSC kit rides too low because of the springs and is all over the really stiff bumpstops so it rides poorly.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:37 AM   #3
Tatsu333

Drives: 2020 BRZ Sport Tech RS
I picked up a used set of Koni Yellows with TRD springs recently, and the previous owner's feedback was that with the damping set around 50% front and rear, the ride on the road was as good as stock, and he tracked them with the damping turned up to about 75%.

I have not installed them yet, so can't give my own feedback on how the combo works on the BRZ (and I'll actually be installing them with my H&R Sport springs instead of the TRD's, which are rebadged Eibach Pro-Kit's).

I had Koni's with H&R Sport springs on my previous car, and my experience was similar to the seller's, but being on a different platform, I wouldn't use that as feedback on how they will be on the BRZ/FRS/86.

I can say, however, that comparing my previous car on the Koni/H&R combo with damping set to the lower end of the range (about 25% front and 50% rear) vs. my BRZ on the stock Performance Pack suspension, the ride over smaller road imperfections was definitely better on my old car equipped with Koni's. The BRZ felt "busier" for sure. On larger impacts, however, the stock PP BRZ was better.

Again, though, different platforms, so not the direct comparison you're looking for...
Old 09-20-2022, 11:51 AM   #4
autoracer86

Ah I didn't know the springs were the same. Thanks for that info guys.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:53 PM   #5
lonborghini

Drives: '15 red FR-S SSC
I daily an SSC. Dampers on full soft for what is mostly a highway commute. What is this "ride" you speak of?
lonborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:38 AM   #6
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I did some research before purchasing my 2017 BRZ. I was torn between getting a 2013-16 and leaving my options open to go SSC with the kit, or STX long term. One of the things I found was the SSC kit is quick for autox purposes, but ride suffers with the pairings of the Koni's and Eibach springs.

The difference in lowering with a coilover vs springs is you can usually get a the proper travel out of a coilover setup by adjusting the body vs lowing where the car sits on the strut via the spring in a traditional spring/strut setup.

The valving you get out of a better $1500+ coilover setup is likely better than the Koni + Eibach pairing too.

IMO, if you're going for a street car with some limited track time, the RCE Super Street-1 is a good option. Second would be something like RCE yellows on Sachs PP struts, which people have had good luck with. I always see the SSC cars at events sitting very low in comparison to even one with RCE Yellows.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:42 PM   #7
autoracer86

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonborghini View Post
I daily an SSC. Dampers on full soft for what is mostly a highway commute. What is this "ride" you speak of?
What springs are you running ?
Old 09-28-2022, 12:45 PM   #8
autoracer86

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiovino View Post
I did some research before purchasing my 2017 BRZ. I was torn between getting a 2013-16 and leaving my options open to go SSC with the kit, or STX long term. One of the things I found was the SSC kit is quick for autox purposes, but ride suffers with the pairings of the Koni's and Eibach springs.

The difference in lowering with a coilover vs springs is you can usually get a the proper travel out of a coilover setup by adjusting the body vs lowing where the car sits on the strut via the spring in a traditional spring/strut setup.

The valving you get out of a better $1500+ coilover setup is likely better than the Koni + Eibach pairing too.

IMO, if you're going for a street car with some limited track time, the RCE Super Street-1 is a good option. Second would be something like RCE yellows on Sachs PP struts, which people have had good luck with. I always see the SSC cars at events sitting very low in comparison to even one with RCE Yellows.
I was thinking of getting the RCE yellows and bilstien b6s but I can get this koni/trd combo from a friend.

I am starting to think I might just use the koni yellows with stock springs and upgrade to coils later on. This car is just being used for HPDE fun so lap times are not super important
The Following User Says Thank You to autoracer86 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-28-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 01:11 PM   #9
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoracer86 View Post
I am starting to think I might just use the koni yellows with stock springs and upgrade to coils later on. This car is just being used for HPDE fun so lap times are not super important

This is a good option. The struts are going to make a big difference over stock, especially if yours are worn out. Plenty of people use the stock springs with Konis for street class autocross. Stock springs will give you proper travel, so the ride will be good. Likely better than stock even.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:15 PM   #10
autoracer86

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiovino View Post
This is a good option. The struts are going to make a big difference over stock, especially if yours are worn out. Plenty of people use the stock springs with Konis for street class autocross. Stock springs will give you proper travel, so the ride will be good. Likely better than stock even.
Cool ! I think I will go with that then