follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #43
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz22 View Post
Its also illegal to burn CDs, watch copyrighted material online for free and tint any lighting on your car, but we all do it anyway
Window tint doesn't have the potential to become a projectile that smashes or worse another persons windshield.
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZionsWrath For This Useful Post:
sklimo (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #44
sklimo
Banned

Drives: 2013 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Thanked 12,901 Times in 5,671 Posts
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz22 View Post
Its also illegal to burn CDs, watch copyrighted material online for free and tint any lighting on your car, but we all do it anyway

So you wouldn't mind that the SUV in front of you drops the sheet of ice on the roof onto your 86?? My second paint chip came from an asshole last year who didn't clean off his car.
sklimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #45
tiz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Raven) MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Window tint doesn't have the potential to become a projectile that smashes or worse another persons windshield.
I was referring to tinted lighting (tail lights + headlights)...This could technically reduce light output...which could technically cause someone to not see your car...which could technically result in them smashing into you...not likely, but neither is a massive ice chunk flying off and hitting your windshield (hasn't happened to anyone I know, ever)

Not trying to argue here - just trying to point out that stating it's illegal doesn't mean people will stop doing it.

My rule is, if it's too heavy for the windshield wipers - it's too heavy for the cars behind me to get it in their face...but if the wipers can cleanly brush it off, so can the people behind me!
tiz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tiz22 For This Useful Post:
sklimo (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #46
tiz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Raven) MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sklimo View Post
So you wouldn't mind that the SUV in front of you drops the sheet of ice on the roof onto your 86?? My second paint chip came from an asshole last year who didn't clean off his car.
Yes I would definitely mind...Just like I would mind if someone dings my door in a parking lot, keys my car, parks too close, rubs up against it with a belt buckle, etc. etc. etc.

As much as I mind - not much I can do besides accept the fact that protecting a daily-driving car from the elements and ridiculous drivers on the road, in the Canadian winters - is pointless. I just do my best and I will be re-painting the entire car once it's removed from the daily driving lineup.
tiz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #47
Auzburner

Drives: BRZ Limited WR Blue Pearl 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm normally around RIT as I'm still a student, but home in Syracuse for the holidays. I use a brush as an extension of my arm. I remove 90% of the snow I would say and apply minimal downforce on the brz. I've had a few new cars and this tactic hasn't caused any noticeable paint imperfections. I also wax frequently to protect. I'm am considering a foam tool instead to avoid the bristles.

To give some perspective on the necessity of snow removal:
Syracuse is expected to see at least 5-10 inches of snow each night for the next few days. I have to brush the car off daily even if I'm not driving to keep up. It's illegal to drive with a bunch of snow on the car because I would create a cloud of blinding snow behind me.

I don't plan on having the car in central New York beyond 1 full winter. Hopefully, I don't accumulate much wear in that timeframe! I'm headed to San Jose mid January. It will be a nice change!
Auzburner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Auzburner For This Useful Post:
Turkish (01-06-2014)