follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-03-2021, 02:26 AM   #1
Zinnober

Drives: 2019 GT86 Automatic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OFT is a big pain in the ass

I'm going back to stock tune, and want to leave this warning for potential future buyers:

1. The software feels like it was written 10 years ago and barely updated
- Complains about needing Java 32 bit (which hasn't been around since Windows XP or so)

- openflashmanager takes 10 minutes to update when starting the software. There's no changelog what the update even does (e.g. version 1.62 vs 1.61)

- You cannot simply download the firmware to flash, but need to "buy" it for $0, which is fine unless you forget your password and the site locks you out for 20 minutes after a few wrong tries

- The romraider.com website is simply inaccessible right now

2. The tune itself has major bugs that didn't get fixed in many years (last update from 2018):

- a) It revs up to high rpms when switching from neutral to reverse (it seems the tuner just put in the wrong values somewhere) -- https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139501

- b) My original tune (ZA1JS00D) doesn't load in RomRaider (it shows a bunch of errors and impossible values)

- c) The rev matching is less smooth than stock

- d) There is a hissing/rattle around 4000rpm, which didn't exist in stock: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95280

Overall, it's not worth it for me and I'm switching back to stock. I'd assume EcuTek should have better support and not suffer from all these issues.
Zinnober is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zinnober For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 02:54 AM   #2
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Shiv disappeared from the forum many years ago and stopped supporting the platform. Newer cars are known to have a better factory tune compared to early years. I had a '20 car for some time and I kept the tune stock.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:08 AM   #3
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
oft is just a tool, and shiv's tunes are not directly correlate to the oft

Like ecutek is just a tool and they do not provider custom tunes

if a tune is shitty, the fault is of the tuner not. of the tool
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
RToyo86 (11-05-2021), Teseo (10-07-2021), Veypor (11-09-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 03:20 AM   #4
Zinnober

Drives: 2019 GT86 Automatic
Quote:
oft is just a tool, and shiv's tunes are not directly correlate to the oft
Okay but a big selling point of OFT is that you can use the free tunes without having to pay a tuner as well.

Also the software issues I mentioned under (1) still exist and may get worse as time goes on (like next Windows/Java version not supporting OFT at all).

- One more issue: The site www.openflashtablet.com doesn't load in Firefox at all. Just shows a red spinning circle.
Zinnober is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zinnober For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (10-03-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 10:28 AM   #5
WheelrDealer

Drives: 2016 FR-S
I bought the Open Flash tuner for many of the same reasons. The system would never accept my code and I was not able to download a tune. My contact with support consisted of a series of boiler plate emails that instructed me to do what I had already done. I found the product to be over marketed and poorly supported. I will be changing to another system soon. I agree with the issues on the PC app as well. antiquated and takes for ever to load.
nikitopo (11-04-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 10:37 AM   #6
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone still running OFT should look into Wayno’s roms. They obviously don’t fix the software annoyances, but it fixed all my tune-related complaints.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:27 PM   #7
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've never had a problem with open flash tablet
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:38 PM   #8
Daily86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Anyone still running OFT should look into Wayno’s roms. They obviously don’t fix the software annoyances, but it fixed all my tune-related complaints.
Daily86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daily86 For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (11-04-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 04:23 PM   #9
elBarto

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinnober View Post
I'm going back to stock tune, and want to leave this warning for potential future buyers:

1. The software feels like it was written 10 years ago and barely updated
- Complains about needing Java 32 bit (which hasn't been around since Windows XP or so)
- The romraider.com website is simply inaccessible right now
RomRaider isn't affiliated by OpenFlash. RomRaider is a program used to open the tunes and make modifications but not created by OpenFlash.
Also the program works fine with the 64-bit Java. Just click 'OK' on the popup.
Quote:
RomRaider is a free, open source tuning suite created for viewing, logging and tuning of modern Subaru Engine Control Units and some older Nissan and BMW M3 (MS41/42/43) DME. The intuitive tuning interface and powerful datalogger are modelled to be familiar to experienced professional tuners while providing all the power of expensive commercial products, without license fees.
The first release of RomRaider was in 2005.

Quote:
- openflashmanager takes 10 minutes to update when starting the software. There's no changelog what the update even does (e.g. version 1.62 vs 1.61)
This is true, just disconnect your internet and it doesn't update

Quote:
- You cannot simply download the firmware to flash, but need to "buy" it for $0, which is fine unless you forget your password and the site locks you out for 20 minutes after a few wrong tries
They probably changed it because it's simpler to just download the tune you need instead of 50 different one's in one package. It used to be a big zipfile containing all of the tunes for all callid's.
The password problem is an user problem and the "incorrect" password lockout is a security-system many site's use.

Quote:
- b) My original tune (ZA1JS00D) doesn't load in RomRaider (it shows a bunch of errors and impossible values)
You are using an incorrect definition in RomRaider. My guess is you are using the OpenFlash def to open your stockrom. The OpenFlash def is an ZA1JK01I definition. The tune itself is an K01I aswell, just modified so it works on a S00D car.

Quote:
- d) There is a hissing/rattle around 4000rpm, which didn't exist in stock: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95280
Did you read the second post? Because this answers why the sound exists. ECUtek tunes have this also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
AVCS. all vendors do it for stg1 to reduce the dip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinnober View Post
- One more issue: The site www.openflashtablet.com doesn't load in Firefox at all. Just shows a red spinning circle.
Works fine in my Firefox
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elBarto For This Useful Post:
Spuds (12-16-2021), Teseo (11-06-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 04:53 PM   #10
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelrDealer View Post
I bought the Open Flash tuner for many of the same reasons. The system would never accept my code and I was not able to download a tune. My contact with support consisted of a series of boiler plate emails that instructed me to do what I had already done. I found the product to be over marketed and poorly supported. I will be changing to another system soon. I agree with the issues on the PC app as well. antiquated and takes for ever to load.
Whats the ecu calibrarion id ?

did oft say fipe not comploant whwn uploading to oft

this is generally due to the tune in car not being stock and has two different calid codes which confuses oft

post the file here that oft READ from ecu its in the slot marked original should be able to sort problem
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:08 AM   #11
SportyTaco86

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS, 2012 Tacoma
I just received my OFT and flashed my ECU last weekend. I kept getting the "File not Compliant" message when attempting to load tunes onto the unit (came with nothing preloaded). After a little digging, I found the tunes that downloaded when I put in my car info (MY2013 6MT) were actually for a newer model so the calibration codes didn't match up. I had to manually enter the correct calibration code on the search bar on their website to find the correct tunes. Other than that, it was pretty painless.
SportyTaco86 is offline   Reply With Quote