follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #1
justinsstang

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Over heating with FI

What exactly is everyone referring too when they're saying these cars get too hot with turbos? Coolant temps? Oil temps? Intake air temps? Just curious where exactly the problem is
justinsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #2
Orbital

Drives: 2016 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsstang View Post
What exactly is everyone referring too when they're saying these cars get too hot with turbos? Coolant temps? Oil temps? Intake air temps? Just curious where exactly the problem is
Good question, I would like to know also. It seems that undermount kits like the AVO pretty much avoid this. But for all other kits its recommended to get a better radiator and oil cooler. Also are turbo blankets and lave wrap needed?
Orbital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I think there was one instance with an greddy/zage kit where the radiator fans melted due to turbo heat. If I had to guess, it was probably an exhaust leak rather than radiant heat but it's hard to know so far removed from the incident.

In general, kits that locate the turbo in front of the motor are adding alot of piping and a red hot exhaust turbine in an area of the motor not designed for that kind of heat. I don't have hard numbers but from radiant heat soak this will affect your coolant and oil temps as well as the general health of everything in your motor. It's like operating your car hard in hotter weather all the time since the underhood temperatures will be much higher in general.

I run a supercharger and I have my exhaust coated and wrapped to just past the overpipe. My engine bay still gets pretty warm, I can't even imagine how hot it would be with a naked turbo and exhaust manifold sitting between the front of the block and the radiator.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbital View Post
Good question, I would like to know also. It seems that undermount kits like the AVO pretty much avoid this. But for all other kits its recommended to get a better radiator and oil cooler. Also are turbo blankets and lave wrap needed?
It does not.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
I think there was one instance with an greddy/zage kit where the radiator fans melted due to turbo heat. If I had to guess, it was probably an exhaust leak rather than radiant heat but it's hard to know so far removed from the incident.

In general, kits that locate the turbo in front of the motor are adding alot of piping and a red hot exhaust turbine in an area of the motor not designed for that kind of heat. I don't have hard numbers but from radiant heat soak this will affect your coolant and oil temps as well as the general health of everything in your motor. It's like operating your car hard in hotter weather all the time since the underhood temperatures will be much higher in general.

I run a supercharger and I have my exhaust coated and wrapped to just past the overpipe. My engine bay still gets pretty warm, I can't even imagine how hot it would be with a naked turbo and exhaust manifold sitting between the front of the block and the radiator.
It was not an exhaust leak; there are no connecting points where the fans were melted.

We've had the same issue with the Nameless header when driven hard with FI.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
industrial (09-26-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 09:33 AM   #6
350matt

Drives: toyota mr2/ Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi Mike

was that a coated Nameless header?
350matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #7
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
It was not an exhaust leak; there are no connecting points where the fans were melted.

We've had the same issue with the Nameless header when driven hard with FI.
Hmm yeah ok, I remember reading all that drama earlier this year. Did you guys ever get to track another sbd turbo to see if the results replicated?
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
enjetek

Drives: 93.5 supra t & prius
Just by reading threads it seems to be engine oil and tranny oil heat issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
enjetek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have run my car hard a few times just to test its mettle (no pun intended). I have the Nameless coated headers and am supercharged. So far I haven't noticed any melting. I did put the gold heat tape around my oil pan and under my intake resonator just in case, though.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:31 AM   #10
justinsstang

Well if they're saying it needs an upgraded radiator and an oil cooler then it's oil and coolant temps.

So mounting the turbo under the car with header wrap and a turbo blanket should definitely remedy any heating issues.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:34 AM   #11
justinsstang

Is the avo kit the only one that does this?
Old 09-27-2015, 06:04 AM   #12
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Wasn't there a 'combatting the heat' thread?

Why, yes there was:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53580

Edit: Since each situation is unique (oil temp vs. cooling temp) then getting good data is king. Don't know of a cheaper and easier way of logging oil and water temps than plugging in an OBDII dongle and hooking it up to the Torque app on an Android phone, with custom PIDs added to track oil temp.

Torque app thread here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23530

Proper logging is what worked for me. I'm not FI just yet but I was at least able to determine beyond any doubt that, in my case at least, oil temps and not water temps were a possible issue on track when running N/A. Therefore I just added an oil cooler and saved a good few hundred bucks on a new radiator I didn't need.

Without data you're just throwing solutions at problems that don't exist and maybe causing more problems than you had in the first place.
2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ultra For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (09-27-2015), ATL BRZ (09-28-2015), CSG Mike (09-29-2015), Dream20b (09-27-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 03:49 AM   #13
xuimod

Drives: 2007 MX-5 Miata, 2015 VW Golf GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
Hmm yeah ok, I remember reading all that drama earlier this year. Did you guys ever get to track another sbd turbo to see if the results replicated?
I was the one who started that thread.

Here's the thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81627

Btw, I bought the SBD kit and installed it. Wrapped the DP real good and haven't experienced any melted fans but it does get fvcking hot in engine bay when you do 'spirited' driving with the turbo. Especially during hot Texas summers....

People aren't kidding when they say the front mounted turbo makes the engine bay into a little oven. After a 'spirited' run with the turbo on a hot summer day the hood and the rod that holds up the hood get so hot you need gloves to open the engine bay.... sort of like oven mitts (no kidding).

Last edited by xuimod; 09-29-2015 at 04:21 AM.
xuimod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xuimod For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-29-2015), kch (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 03:53 AM   #14
xuimod

Drives: 2007 MX-5 Miata, 2015 VW Golf GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsstang View Post
Well if they're saying it needs an upgraded radiator and an oil cooler then it's oil and coolant temps.

So mounting the turbo under the car with header wrap and a turbo blanket should definitely remedy any heating issues.
Wrapping downpipe is more important than wrapping header because the downpipe is right next to the front radiator fan.

I think the hot downpipe melted either the fan itself or the wire that powers the radiator fan (and the fan shut off).

Also wrap the wires and tubes near turbo.

Here's the thread I started about melted fans and turbo kits: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81627

Btw, I bought the SBD turbo kit and haven't had any melted fans thank goodness. But I made sure during the install I wrapped the DP and wires really good. I wrapped the headers too but I screwed up the turbo intial install and oil sprayed everywhere and all over the header wrap and it stank like crazy so had to remove it.

Here's a pic of the melted radiator fan another guy experienced.

xuimod is offline   Reply With Quote