follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #15
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I second fullblown. you can buy everything from a 300whp kit with a tune, to staged blocks and heads, to a supra v160 transmission swap. If you don't have a good local tuner, have lj @FullBlown tune it.
rs999 (08-28-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #16
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
OpenFlash/Vishnu is probably the closest. Moto-east, Delicious Tuning, Fullblown, Ptuning, Crawford, and Element are some other companies that have good reps right now. The FA20Club comment was a joke, I'm sure. Either way, there are many options. The Jackshon Racing SC looks good because I've literally seen zero complaints or talk about problems. Every single other system has had issues.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #17
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
@jamesm is the go to guy for tuning. Whatever FI kit or N/A application you end up buying, he can and will tune it and will give you the best drivability/reliable power you can get.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Reaper (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #18
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had a MKV GTI and I don't miss at all at. Other than straight line speed and build materials the FR-S is a better car in every way.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #19
sluflyer06

Drives: 2014 BRZ Ltd - DGM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How much power will you be looking for? If its not forced induction levels than Open Flash Tablet is a great option.
sluflyer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #20
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
It really depends what your goals and budget are. Reliable track car? Straightline street car? $5k budget? $10k budget? Etc.

EDIT: The reason I say this is, this isn't like the GTI where there's an established mod order (tune --> TBE --> k04 --> etc.), or even a fixed location for the turbo. With the FR-S aftermarket, there are different types of turbos in different locations, and even many types of superchargers (rotrex, twinscrew, centrifugal). There are also many NA solutions.

SC, turbo, and NA each has its own advantages and disadvantages. Thus, you have a number of companies to choose among, each offering their own unique solution. Whatever your goal is will ultimately determine what the best solution is. So it's best to decide your goal first, then go from there. The good news is, whatever path you decide on, there are many proven companies out there making solutions for the Twins that can get you to your goal.

BTW I've still got my mk6 GTI. You'll love the FR-S, especially if you track or autocross. Good combo to have under one garage.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build

Last edited by DarkSunrise; 07-02-2014 at 01:37 PM.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #21
rs999

Drives: VW MK6 GTI | 13 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
It really depends what your goals and budget are. Reliable track car? Straightline street car? $5k budget? $10k budget? Etc.

EDIT: The reason I say this is, this isn't like the GTI where there's an established mod order (tune --> TBE --> k04 --> etc.), or even a fixed location for the turbo. With the FR-S aftermarket, there are different types of turbos in different locations, and even many types of superchargers (rotrex, twinscrew, centrifugal). There are also many NA solutions.

SC, turbo, and NA each has its own advantages and disadvantages. Thus, you have a number of companies to choose among, each offering their own unique solution. Whatever your goal is will ultimately determine what the best solution is. So it's best to decide your goal first, then go from there. The good news is, whatever path you decide on, there are many proven companies out there making solutions for the Twins that can get you to your goal.

BTW I've still got my mk6 GTI. You'll love the FR-S, especially if you track or autocross. Good combo to have under one garage.
The FR-S will be my autocross/second daily driver. I autocross with my brother so he will be sharing the car sometimes, but I'm paying the note so mods are my decision

As I said, I'm keeping the MK6 because it has a lot money in it, but it is a great car that is comfortable and fast to daily. However, the recent CEL's have been worrying me.

About Full Blown above, the turbo kit looks good, but taking off the bumper every 50K to change the air filter is just...well...interesting
rs999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #22
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
There are a number of vendors that produce FI kits. Here's the Forced Induction Vender Advertising subforum so you can get an idea of what you want.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #23
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs999 View Post
The FR-S will be my autocross/second daily driver. I autocross with my brother so he will be sharing the car sometimes, but I'm paying the note so mods are my decision

As I said, I'm keeping the MK6 because it has a lot money in it, but it is a great car that is comfortable and fast to daily. However, the recent CEL's have been worrying me.

About Full Blown above, the turbo kit looks good, but taking off the bumper every 50K to change the air filter is just...well...interesting
Depending how competitive you want to be, autocross can be tough because of classing rules. I'd think you'd want the quick and linear response of a supercharger vs. even a quick spooling turbo.

Most of the FI guys do track instead of autocross, but I'd recommend checking out @Dezoris build page. He's got a Vortech SC and autocrosses (and tracks) often.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23534

For the turbo perspective, may want to talk to @kanundrum . He's got a PTuning turbo and autocrosses it.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31572

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
kanundrum (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #24
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Depending how competitive you want to be, autocross can be tough because of classing rules. I'd think you'd want the quick and linear response of a supercharger vs. even a quick spooling turbo.

Most of the FI guys do track instead of autocross, but I'd recommend checking out @Dezoris build page. He's got a Vortech SC and autocrosses (and tracks) often.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23534

For the turbo perspective, may want to talk to @kanundrum . He's got a PTuning turbo and autocrosses it.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31572
Classing is everything for sure.

If you want to compete in SCCA classing in autox and have forced induction you can forget it, it's not competitive enough. It's still fun but a good STX prepped car will meet or exceed it in most cases unless you go totally hard core. That said very competitive autox car setup won't be good for track and vice versa. I prefer to be setup for track but it really hurts autox performance.

Track is a completely different story. I have maxed out what I believe to be a street-able setup. There is just not much more to be had without sacrificing everything to become a track car.
Good luck