follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 12-27-2021, 09:51 PM   #1
Darcy R

Drives: Ultimate Swap Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Swap comments, and advice. Toyota V8

Hi Guy's, I'm new here, and joined the forum for information and advice for the engine swap I'm planning. The engine I plan to swap into a Toyota 86 is a
Phase 14 Toyota Nascar engine. For those that know little about this engine, it's a 358 ci V8, iron block, aluminum heads. 4.5" bore spacing. It'll make around 800 hp, and probably weights similar to an iron LS. It also has the Chevy bellhousing bolt pattern on the back. I'll likely put a T56 Magnum behind it, or one of the T101 based Nascar 4 speed dog boxes. I will be using EFI, and try to keep the CAN dash working.
So my questions: As I have the engine, but not the car yet. what is the typical crankshaft cL height from the bottom of the front suspension crossmember on an LS swap. Does that allow the T56 Magnum to fit in the tunnel with the factory reinforcement removed? I'm wondering about hood clearance? How much room is there from a bottom of the hood, to the bottom of the front crossmember? What has been done for custom hoods with more clearance?
Darcy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 10:23 PM   #2
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,548 Times in 2,950 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy R View Post
Hi Guy's, I'm new here, and joined the forum for information and advice for the engine swap I'm planning. The engine I plan to swap into a Toyota 86 is a

Phase 14 Toyota Nascar engine. For those that know little about this engine, it's a 358 ci V8, iron block, aluminum heads. 4.5" bore spacing. It'll make around 800 hp, and probably weights similar to an iron LS. It also has the Chevy bellhousing bolt pattern on the back. I'll likely put a T56 Magnum behind it, or one of the T101 based Nascar 4 speed dog boxes. I will be using EFI, and try to keep the CAN dash working.

So my questions: As I have the engine, but not the car yet. what is the typical crankshaft cL height from the bottom of the front suspension crossmember on an LS swap. Does that allow the T56 Magnum to fit in the tunnel with the factory reinforcement removed? I'm wondering about hood clearance? How much room is there from a bottom of the hood, to the bottom of the front crossmember? What has been done for custom hoods with more clearance?
Crankshaft centerline: I'm gonna send you on a little hunt for info here... Look online for the crank height from the oil pan surface. Plus the height of the Canton racing LS front sump road race pan. That's about where the crank sits from the top of the cross member. Very little clearance.

T56 will fit in the transmission tunnel with a little hammering and removing ALL of the stock bracing. No cutting of the tunnel itself is required.

Hood clearance is fine with manifold height maxing out at around 6.5 inches. The FAST LSX manifolds and the GM car manifolds fit without issue. Some people have had to modify their throttle bodies to make them fit though.

Get on the LS Swap BRZ groups on Facebook. Someone just developed and i believe currently has a group buy open for a carbon fiber cowled hood intended to fit high rise manifolds and positive displacement superchargers. I don't know the height from the cross member. I just know it's only a couple inches more than an LS engine with car intake manifold

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 01:12 PM   #3
Darcy R

Thanks for the Facebook reference. I'll keep that hood in mind. It there others? Maybe a hood that does not have a front scoop? I'll do a height comparison from the TRD to an LS later today ...we'll see how that looks.
Old 12-29-2021, 01:50 PM   #4
Darcy R

It seems the LS pan rail is about 2.375" below the crankshaft center-line. This Canton oil pan: "15-276 GM LS1-LS6 5-5/8" Deep Front Sump Road Race and Drift Pan" shows a 1.75" from pan rail to the shallow part that would set over the cross-member, and steering rack, for a total of 4.125" + maybe the gasket, and the typical clearance most would use from pan to cross-member... Anyone know the height of the cross-member, and steering rack in the area under the pan? My 153 tooth flywheel would hang down about 6.5" below the crankshaft center-line with a close fitting cover under it. I would think it would be safe to keep the flywheel at least .75" above the bottom of the cross-member?
I'll compare that the the TRD dry sump pan this afternoon.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:31 AM   #5
gtpvette

Drives: 2015 FRS - FFR GTM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
There are some pictures with dimensions that may be of some help here

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...imensions.html

A scoop I made for my V6 swap
Attached Images

2015 FR-S - One Day I'll Finish The Swap
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote