follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
RandomHero
SW5 Driver

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
B Quiet Sound Dampening

Hey all,

Searched around a bit but couldn't find any info on people using B Quiet sound dampening in their audio builds. Im planning on doing 60-70% of the car to help keep the road noise down as I intend to do a few road trips with it.

Anyone have any knowledge of the effectiveness of this stuff? Or have any other alternatives in the price range. I just cant stomach the insane price for some of those premium sound dampeners. This stuff is around $150 for 100 square feet! In fact if anyone in Toronto area wants in I think we could do a bulk buy.

http://www.b-quiet.com/
RandomHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
Hey all,

Searched around a bit but couldn't find any info on people using B Quiet sound dampening in their audio builds. Im planning on doing 60-70% of the car to help keep the road noise down as I intend to do a few road trips with it.

Anyone have any knowledge of the effectiveness of this stuff? Or have any other alternatives in the price range. I just cant stomach the insane price for some of those premium sound dampeners. This stuff is around $150 for 100 square feet! In fact if anyone in Toronto area wants in I think we could do a bulk buy.

http://www.b-quiet.com/
Pass on ashpalt based. For a low price deadner try Rattle Trapp 80 mil. It works well and even holds up in southern heat. They have some ashpalt based also so be careful. If you go to ebay or amazon and type in rattletrapp 80 mil, the correct stuff will come up and is sold directly by them.
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cruzinbill For This Useful Post:
Mr.Jay (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
RandomHero
SW5 Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinbill View Post
Pass on ashpalt based. For a low price deadner try Rattle Trapp 80 mil. It works well and even holds up in southern heat. They have some ashpalt based also so be careful. If you go to ebay or amazon and type in rattletrapp 80 mil, the correct stuff will come up and is sold directly by them.
Ya ive been told to avoid the asphalt stuff for smell and excessive weight. But B-Quiet is apparently butyl based? And still crazy cheap. Ill check out Rattle Trap though.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
Ya ive been told to avoid the asphalt stuff for smell and excessive weight. But B-Quiet is apparently butyl based? And still crazy cheap. Ill check out Rattle Trap though.
Nope says asphalt right on their site, my biggest beef is it will fall off the roof and trunk lid in hot climates, I have tried it btw if wondering. Rattletrap isn't te best out there by any means but it's the best cost to perf ratio I've found personally.

Double checked I guess ultimate is butyl now, so that would prolly be alright, not as thick at 60mil but may not matter to ya
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #5
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
www.raamaudio.com they have a couple of packages that offer the butyl mat and peel and stick ensolite foam. The small package would be enough for most people.

http://www.raamaudio.com/package-1-2...-41-625-sq-ft/ $160 for the small package, the larger one is $240.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeBoxer For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (02-20-2013), Batman (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 04:09 AM   #6
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I got samples from be-quiet , left it in the car for a week on the passenger seat. It was all melted and sticky , don't waste your money on that garbage .
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I used to use b-quiet. It cut up my hands from time to time and it was really sensitive to the surface it was adhered to. You can get it to stick to anything, you just had to clean it really well and roller the hell out of it. Multiple layers upside down never worked though.

I switched to raammat a few years ago. That stuff is alot easier to work with.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
Skippman

Drives: GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Do you think one package 2 would be enough Raammat to do a full set of skins with enough left over for the trunk lid?
Skippman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Here's a forum vendor for sound dampening. May be worth a look:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20937

I also have some Audio Technix sound dampening I'm installing when I do my doors.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
RandomHero
SW5 Driver

Garage
Thanks for all the heads up guys. I will avoid B-Quiet, sounds like they have a little more work to do before they are worth my business.
Now that I've got into this sound dampening phase I have encountered lots of interesting products. Second Skin's Sludge product looks interesting for use on the floor. Anyone ever try that stuff?
Im a big fan of 1st hand reviews, you never know how many poor reviews were removed from a suppliers site to make themselves look good.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Definitely research options, different applications might need different products. Check out www.sounddeadenershowdown.com to determine what materials should be used where. The butyl/aluminum CLD sheets work for panel resonance, but other materials will help in different ways such as mass loaded vinyl, closed cell foam, etc. so in the end, you may not need 100sf of CLD, instead maybe 30-40sf and 20-30sf of other stuff.

As far as brand names, I really like second skin, really good quality.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
kmbkk (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
@wheelhaus - You know that the link you have been posting is to the new version of their website... that's a storefront with a minimal scientific data.

A couple years ago, the site was a science fair of different brands and thicknesses. Test results showed noise levels, adhesion strength at temperature, etc. Very different from today.

Ever since Don started selling a product, he took down the comparison. In his words:

Quote:
There are reasons I stopped publishing comparative test results when I started selling products. The most important is that even if I could have been relied upon to try to be completely objective, it just isn't possible with a stake in the outcome. That's fundamental in any scientific endeavor. It's pretty clearly at play here.

There's just no way around the fact that even with experience and the best of intentions, our brains are going to protect us from conclusions that work against our livelihood. It's as simple as that. When I see the tester's Web site meta title is "Deadener Better Than Dynamat" - a claim that is false in any qualitative way, it seems safe to view this "test" as an ad. Tests like these are sloppy enough when done by an unbiased party. When there isn't a methodology established beforehand and adhered to, sloppier still. That'd be fine for in house playing around to familiarize oneself with products. Does it belong in the public domain as proof of anything?
Stand up guy with a fine product. Most commercial products are marginally better than Peel N Seal... but the main goals are to address resonances with mass, address panel-to-panel rattles with support, and total noise levels with a damping barrier.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #13
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
True, I didn't mean to direct anyone there for the old brand comparisons, more so that he has some good info describing the different types of acoustic materials. The OP looked like he wanted to purchase a load of CLD material and I simply wanted to show that other types of materials (NOT asphalt) are useful for different reasons. A lot of people seem to think CLD on everything is best, but it's not always the case. I linked that site for descriptions and scenarios where other materials may work better, re: road noise, resonance, rattling, etc.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #14
RandomHero
SW5 Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
True, I didn't mean to direct anyone there for the old brand comparisons, more so that he has some good info describing the different types of acoustic materials. The OP looked like he wanted to purchase a load of CLD material and I simply wanted to show that other types of materials (NOT asphalt) are useful for different reasons. A lot of people seem to think CLD on everything is best, but it's not always the case. I linked that site for descriptions and scenarios where other materials may work better, re: road noise, resonance, rattling, etc.
Yup very true. I kind of jumped at the good deal but now ive really been getting down and dirty researching this stuff. It looks more like I should get 30ft of the deadener and then a little extra foam (dont want the mass loaded barrier though cause as good as it sounds I think thats just going overboard with weight)

And I thank you very much for your help! :happy0180: