follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
wilson0326

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
is running a test pipe illegal in ontario

I've just move to ontario and just wondering is the cop going to give you ticket or is that illegal to run a test pipe?
wilson0326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Test pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson0326 View Post
I've just move to ontario and just wondering is the cop going to give you ticket or is that illegal to run a test pipe?
Yes - very.

The tail light chasers can nail you with unnecessary noise as well as send you to the nearest Ministry safety lanes (but you will have time to fix it - if you don't the M.O.T. will pull your plates).
Sometimes the M.O.T. sets up a spot check in a community with cops assigned to go looking for old cars, custom cars etc.
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson0326 View Post
if you think it's illegal

it's illegal

if you think it's legal

it's illegal
Old 09-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Noob4Life
86 Noob

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
if you think it's illegal

it's illegal

if you think it's legal

it's illegal
And if you know it's legal.... Its still illegal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Hope10Series
#150 FR-S

Drives: FR-S 10 Series #150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB View Post
Yes - very.

The tail light chasers can nail you with unnecessary noise as well as send you to the nearest Ministry safety lanes (but you will have time to fix it - if you don't the M.O.T. will pull your plates).
Sometimes the M.O.T. sets up a spot check in a community with cops assigned to go looking for old cars, custom cars etc.
What he said. Your plates will be pulled and your car will be towed and you will be left on the side of the road with all the bills
Hope10Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
logoris

Drives: 04 is300 sport design ii
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
i have done some reaserch on this. in ontario the only legal aftermarket exhausts none straight through exhausts

so no glasspacks no deletes no straight pipes (you can still run them as long as they are not a reason to get a ticket) but if an officer checks you will get a ticket at least

cats should be present unless you can sneak it through emissions if it will pass

there is no dBa limit for ontario but there will be local laws so plan your exhaust accordingly if it is legal in your area does not mean it will be legal everywhere places like Uxbridge will have lower limits and if its too loud you will still get caught

if you want a test pipe get a removable axel back and you can just bolt on a race pipe for the track
logoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
RFB

Drives: FRS
Decibel limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by logoris View Post
i have done some reaserch on this. in ontario the only legal aftermarket exhausts none straight through exhausts

so no glasspacks no deletes no straight pipes (you can still run them as long as they are not a reason to get a ticket) but if an officer checks you will get a ticket at least

cats should be present unless you can sneak it through emissions if it will pass

there is no dBa limit for ontario but there will be local laws so plan your exhaust accordingly if it is legal in your area does not mean it will be legal everywhere places like Uxbridge will have lower limits and if its too loud you will still get caught

if you want a test pipe get a removable axel back and you can just bolt on a race pipe for the track
All true - but there is a decibel limit -

THE OPINION OF THE COP !

If he thinks its too loud he can issue a charge of UNNECESSARY NOISE under the H.T.A. of Ontario - as in "there was no need to accelerate that suddenly" or " no need to drive with the stereo so loud with the windows open" or no need to squeal the tires "

Then there are the local municipal noise by-laws -
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
PhreshhWun

Drives: 2013 Subaru Brz Sport-Tech SWP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I live in Scarborough, Ontario. So far I've taken off the cats on my 240sx and I've ripped off whatever cats and resonators on my SC400.. Is it legal ... completely not. Does it sound great, hell yea ! Is it worth it.. should be until they realize it
Mods: 2013 Subaru Outback fog lights, HID fog lights, LED vanity lights, LED dome light, LED trunk light, LED license plate lights, LED door courtesy lights, LED side markers, HID headlights, J2 Engineering test pipe, HKS Drop-In air filter, Window Visors, De-badged, and Diode Dynamics LED side mirrors
Side Chick: 93' 240sx Convertible
PhreshhWun is offline   Reply With Quote