follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2022, 10:38 AM   #1
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best Braking Upgrade Progression for Daily Driving

So I'm thinking about getting some more "whoa" for the GR86.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anywhere here, but here's my thought process:

Single Stop:
As long as heavy pressure on the brake pedal engages the ABS system your braking power is limited by your tires. Bigger/better brakes don't shorten your stopping distances because you need more grip.

Multiple Stops:
It's possible to be limited by tires on a single stop, and by brake pads/rotors/fluid/etc. if you're heating the brakes up enough they fade through heavy use of the braking system.

So from a non-track daily-driver perspective, tires are always going to be the first thing on the list. Naturally, the better the grip the worse the treadwear (generally) so there's the question of how much do you want to pay for tires (individually and more rapid replacement) for how much stopping power. Bonus - better grip does more than just improve stopping.

The next question is to what extent does heating play a role in braking performance of the stock brakes OUTSIDE track conditions. Spirited driving, extended downhill grades, etc. can all need repeated use of the brakes which, if unexpectedly followed by an emergency requiring peak braking performance could leave you with less stopping power than you need.

I've been eyeing the Powerstop Z26 "Street Warrior" brake upgrade kit specifically. It's not terribly expensive, carbon-fiber ceramic brake pads without the typical race pad noise, cross-drilled slotted rotors... and if we're being honest I'm more than slightly tempted just by the looks (and would probably paint the calipers while I'm in there.)

But the big question is whether it really makes sense in normal-to-spirited driving. I could (but haven't) go out and do some rapid-fire acceleration/braking to see how much it takes to lose braking power on the stock equipment and then gauge for myself whether I think realistically I'm ever going to hit that point real-world on public roads. My stance is that while I'd 100% do at least pads and fluid if I were going to track the car, my primary concern for the brakes are accident avoidance on city street/highways where other (stupid) drivers are allowed to operate motor vehicles despite obviously lacking the skills to do so safely.

Facts, opinions, suggestions, everything is welcome.

EDIT: should mention that I'm considering FI at some point in the future, after the risk-takers blow a few engines and determine how much boost is too much boost on stock internals. But that's obviously at least 8-12 months down the road.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:15 AM   #2
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,472 Times in 767 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The stock pads are pretty adequate for anything other than driving canyons like a crazy person or track use.

Cross drilled rotors are a downgrade.

The Z26 pads are fine, but not really an upgrade from stock.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (12-06-2022), DylanJZA (12-14-2022), finch1750 (12-07-2022), G_Ride (12-06-2022), humfrz (12-06-2022), soundman98 (12-07-2022), Spektyr (12-06-2022), Tcoat (12-06-2022), Teseo (12-07-2022), timurrrr (12-09-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 11:37 AM   #3
removedonut

Drives: 2022 Toyota GR86 Premium 6MT
I drive canyons like a crazy person on stock pads, they’re quite good actually so long as you don’t overheat them. I don’t think you’ll find a better pad for street driving without compromising on noise or dust.
One thing to note with the stock pads is they are very linear. Many people are used to pads with a ton of initial bite (this has become a trend for stock pads on econoboxes in the past decade, for some reason) but our pads apply the amount of braking that you tell them to.
removedonut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to removedonut For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (12-06-2022), DocWalt (12-06-2022), DylanJZA (12-14-2022), jkamelo (05-01-2023), Marrk (12-08-2022), soundman98 (12-07-2022), Spektyr (12-06-2022), timurrrr (12-09-2022), Ultramaroon (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 12:53 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I run TRD pads on blank centrics, I find they last quite a while longer before overheating on downhill than stock did. Nothing really wrong with the stock braking system for street driving, just get better fluid in there- having sewage for fluid is far more common than it should be.
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Teseo (12-07-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 05:21 PM   #5
LancePower

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1 on the TRD pads.
LancePower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LancePower For This Useful Post:
Teseo (12-07-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 10:02 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anywhere here, but here's my thought process:

WOW! You put a lot of thought into that street braking situation -

Now, that you have overthought it, I suggest you just stick with the OEM brake parts, especially, since I have never seen a hill long enough in Kansas to overheat the OEM pads.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:27 PM   #7
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Go with stock until you out perform them.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-07-2022), Teseo (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 10:18 AM   #8
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
WOW! You put a lot of thought into that street braking situation -

Now, that you have overthought it, I suggest you just stick with the OEM brake parts, especially, since I have never seen a hill long enough in Kansas to overheat the OEM pads.
We do have roads that lead to other states... as much as we might prefer otherwise sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Go with stock until you out perform them.
Provided the "out performing" doesn't involve stopping a few feet beyond an obstacle, that's good advice. Brakes are a "better to have and not need" kind of thing.

I think the conclusion here is that tires and not driving on the street like it's a race track is where the biggest gains are. I'll probably just wait until the PS4's wear down enough to justify replacing them with something stickier.

Or until someone has a great offer on a set of wheels that aren't "pickup only". I'm mildly amused by those classifieds on the forum - "why won't anyone buy these wheels, I'm offering them at a great price". Sure, but you've limited the buyers to just people willing to drive to get them. But I digress... mildly annoying to see a good deal that driving 1500 miles turns into a terrible deal.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spektyr For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-07-2022), Teseo (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 10:21 AM   #9
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Basic info but worth a read:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CN7YfpVn..._web_copy_link

In short, what other's have said is pretty much spot on. What do you want to improve?

Nothing wrong with OEM rotors and OEM lines for your uses (and most people). OEM pads on the 2nd gen are better than 1st gen pads, which felt like crap to me. It would be difficult but not impossible to fade OEM pads on public roads while driving with some level of self-control.

There are a couple of mild upgrade pads out there that improve fade resistance and feel without making noise. Trade off is usually dust and they're not free.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
DriveDriftDogfight86 (01-25-2023), Spektyr (12-08-2022), Teseo (12-07-2022), WolfpackS2k (12-12-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 10:28 AM   #10
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
not driving on the street like it's a race track is where the biggest gains are

Yeah
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires (12-08-2022), Wally86 (12-09-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 10:29 AM   #11
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
The stock pads on my 22 BRZ seem worse for daily driving than my old 13 FR-S. The initial bite is not great, especially cold. On the flipside, they seems to hold up to hard driving a little better. I wonder if this was an intentional compromise by Subaru/Toyota to keep costs down by keeping the same brake hardware from the 1st gen, but give it a bit more fade resistance to cope with the extra power.

I'm going to try swapping to Stoptech 309 pads for street use and see how those feel.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 01:01 PM   #12
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm mildly amused by those classifieds on the forum - "why won't anyone buy these wheels, I'm offering them at a great price". Sure, but you've limited the buyers to just people willing to drive to get them. But I digress... mildly annoying to see a good deal that driving 1500 miles turns into a terrible deal.
The problem is it's insanely expensive to pack and ship boxes that large and heavy when you aren't a vendor.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:09 PM   #13
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

Single Stop:
As long as heavy pressure on the brake pedal engages the ABS system your braking power is limited by your tires. Bigger/better brakes don't shorten your stopping distances because you need more grip.

Multiple Stops:
It's possible to be limited by tires on a single stop, and by brake pads/rotors/fluid/etc. if you're heating the brakes up enough they fade through heavy use of the braking system.

So from a non-track daily-driver perspective, tires are always going to be the first thing on the list. Naturally, the better the grip the worse the treadwear (generally) so there's the question of how much do you want to pay for tires (individually and more rapid replacement) for how much stopping power. Bonus - better grip does more than just improve stopping.

The next question is to what extent does heating play a role in braking performance of the stock brakes OUTSIDE track conditions. Spirited driving, extended downhill grades, etc. can all need repeated use of the brakes which, if unexpectedly followed by an emergency requiring peak braking performance could leave you with less stopping power than you need.

I've been eyeing the Powerstop Z26 "Street Warrior" brake upgrade kit specifically. It's not terribly expensive, carbon-fiber ceramic brake pads without the typical race pad noise, cross-drilled slotted rotors... and if we're being honest I'm more than slightly tempted just by the looks (and would probably paint the calipers while I'm in there.)

But the big question is whether it really makes sense in normal-to-spirited driving. I could (but haven't) go out and do some rapid-fire acceleration/braking to see how much it takes to lose braking power on the stock equipment and then gauge for myself whether I think realistically I'm ever going to hit that point real-world on public roads. My stance is that while I'd 100% do at least pads and fluid if I were going to track the car, my primary concern for the brakes are accident avoidance on city street/highways where other (stupid) drivers are allowed to operate motor vehicles despite obviously lacking the skills to do so safely.

Facts, opinions, suggestions, everything is welcome.

EDIT: should mention that I'm considering FI at some point in the future, after the risk-takers blow a few engines and determine how much boost is too much boost on stock internals. But that's obviously at least 8-12 months down the road.
Check out the CSG CP. It sounds like a perfect match for what you're looking for.

Your OEM rotors are superior to those (cheap) slotted rotors. Spend the money on better pads and fluid instead, for a much larger tangible return on your spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by removedonut View Post
I drive canyons like a crazy person on stock pads, they’re quite good actually so long as you don’t overheat them. I don’t think you’ll find a better pad for street driving without compromising on noise or dust.
One thing to note with the stock pads is they are very linear. Many people are used to pads with a ton of initial bite (this has become a trend for stock pads on econoboxes in the past decade, for some reason) but our pads apply the amount of braking that you tell them to.
The CSG CP is exactly that pad you're been looking for. Less dust than stock. No noise. More stopping power than stock. MASSIVELY elevated capacity for heat over stock.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Teseo (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 07:33 PM   #14
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
I'm really curious to see what the CP pads are like to live with.