follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
TG

Drives: 2013 Satin Pearl White Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Front Bumper Covers

I have some slight damage to my oem front bumper cover. Im trying to buy a new one and was trying to look for some aftermarket bumper face covers. Any suggestions??
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:55 PM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hmm, can you be more descriptive, what you mean as front bumper cover? Bumper itself? It's underside? Engine protection plate? Some cloth cover some people use to protect paint (do such "OEM" exist at all)?
If last one mentioned, my choice would be some kits of transparent paint protective films if i'd care enough about. And maybe protektskidpatplates for underside. Car even as stock looks very good .. not so much with some black fabric cover on it. So this choice should leave looks intact yet still provide wished protection.
Aftermarkedness for looks .. i'd think of some black vinyl stickers under foglight cluster kits to provide looks like that of FR-S RS1 bumper. Also cheap & simple.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
time to rocket bunny your car
Old 01-14-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
TG

Drives: 2013 Satin Pearl White Subaru BRZ
Just the front face cover. I could put a front lip on it to cover the dent and big scrape, but i also have chips near the emblem and just chips from rocks hitting it over the years.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:03 PM   #5
churchx

What is that "front face cover"? :/ You should use closer to actual part name terms as at least i had difficulties to visualize what exactly is meant, and only from described scatch/chip locations i got that you meant whole front bumper. If dents are big/unrepairable enough, maybe it may justify purchase of new front bumper. If just few scratches here and there, maybe simply old bumper may benefit from some repaint job?
Old 01-15-2017, 10:26 AM   #6
anodic

Drives: Halo frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
What is that "front face cover"? :/ You should use closer to actual part name terms as at least i had difficulties to visualize what exactly is meant, and only from described scatch/chip locations i got that you meant whole front bumper. If dents are big/unrepairable enough, maybe it may justify purchase of new front bumper. If just few scratches here and there, maybe simply old bumper may benefit from some repaint job?
He means the bumper cover itself. You know, the proper term for the plastic bumper piece on the outside of the car? The part that's different between the frs and the brz.

If you're going to get condescending about proper terms being used, you should certainly use the proper terms yourself.
anodic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anodic For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
churchx

Right. Both me and all the aftermarket body piece makers & parts online shops that list those as front bumpers & under sections named such. And all those mistakening repair shops. And people in car related forums. All need to change terms used, as after all there are right & proper terms, not ones majority uses de facto & understand as. Too lazy to check, but have slight suspicion, which parts i'll find in toyota part system, when searching for "front bumper".
Old 01-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
anodic

Drives: Halo frs
Quote:
Right. Both me and all the aftermarket body piece makers & parts online shops that list those as front bumpers & under sections named such. And all those mistakening repair shops. And people in car related forums. All need to change terms used, as after all there are right & proper terms, not ones majority uses de facto & understand as. Too lazy to check, but have slight suspicion, which parts i'll find in toyota part system, when searching for "front bumper".
Yeah, I guess you're right. These part stores must be using the wrong term.

http://www.apt-autoparts.com/cgi/pag...APA_SU00301484
http://www.encorebumpers.com/detail....Link=SC1000110
http://www.nationalautobody.com/cata...ducts_id=64976

Yup, they definitely all got the terminology wrong.

Hell, even Toyota is using the wrong terminology
anodic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anodic For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (01-15-2017), finch1750 (01-15-2017), Irace86 (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #9
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irace86 For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 03:34 PM   #10
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
I have some slight damage to my oem front bumper cover. Im trying to buy a new one and was trying to look for some aftermarket bumper face covers. Any suggestions??
Try local body shops. They can take your old one as a core and get a remanufactured ones sometimes. Did that with my sti rear bumper after i backed into a flat trailer I didnt see and punched a hole in it

Quote:
Quote:
Try googling the part number then. Might surprise you what you learn when you take 3 min to google instead of typing out another smart, incorrect, response. Part number is below to make it easier for you

SU00301494

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumper fr-s brz gt-86